Panic - Coda Editor - UI, that old AJkandy thread

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
OldTimey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Panic - Coda Editor - UI, that old AJkandy thread

Post by OldTimey »

Not motu related necessarily, but a lot of folks here also maintain their own websites for hosting and promotion. I'm in the process of getting a unique site up myself, and although I have designed sites in the past with Dreamweaver, this time i decided to eschew tables entirely, and not use any WYSIWG editors. Looking around for a good text/html/css editor i stumbled across Panic's Coda. It is an amazing app, very slick very modern and OS friendly. Everything you need is available in a one window design. As far as UI goes, it is the antithesis of DP. Using Coda for a little while (14-day demo, i am definitely going to buy it) I am beginning to understand ajkandy's (who left DP a little while ago) desire for a more compact UI. Don't get me wrong, I love DP's UI, or rather, I have grown to love it (at first it is REALLY daunting) and wouldn't want to change it innately because I've learned it, and I work efficiently in DP. That said, and as ajkandy can attest to, DP's current UI probably scares away a lot of newcomers...for me, it was the DAW used in my college's recording facilities, so I learned it, and eventually started using it when i switched to mac @ home. I've been using it for 5 years now, and finally feel like I am becoming a "power" user. I finally am impressing my friends and collaborators with my "chops" in DP. They say things like "that's a cool trick" or, "you couldn't do that before, right?"

So i'm not jumping ship, I love DP, MOTU, the UI all that jazz. I don't even care for vertical zoom in the TO. I don't need it anyway, the TO isn't good for precise editing, and it's not intended to be used that way. Etc. etc.

but, after trying Coda, I am beginning to think that this is the way many apps may work in the future...even Mach V 2, with it's one window design, and full screen editing features seems to be a step in that direction by MOTU.

oh if you want to check out Coda:

http://www.panic.com/coda/

no more tables or Dreamweaver for me! It seems that Macromedia knew exactly when to get out! Poor adobe!
why would i want to skin a cat?