Misleading advertising...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Misleading advertising...

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well, if you visit MOTU's site today, you have this big Fortune 500 banner and on first look, it appears that MOTU has arrived.

http://www.motu.com/

NOT! A user is quoted in the mag and that user uses some MOTU stuff. Very cool for HIM, but how MOTU spins this to appear that THEY are a Fortune 500 company is (IMO) a bit misleading on first glance. And it is, after all, first impressions that people tend to remember.

Clicking on the link (below) brings you to an extended "interview" with the artist. It is clear that it is MOTU interviewing him, but again, for the fast reading person who tends to 'scan' such things quickly, it could also appear that these quotes are from Fortune 500 mag. That too, I find a bit misleading and certainly self-serving.

If you are going to honor your users (which I embrace) then do so in a way that both honors them from the splash page onward.

I'm not saying it is bad that they posted this. But HOW they posted it is questionable to me. The featured item for MOTU is the artist, NOT Fortune 500. Personally, I would MUCH rather MOTU get off the bowl and post something on their splash page like "MachFive Version 2 to release on July 13." Now THAT would be good advertising - if that is still the release date...
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/brian-banks-interview

OK. Start flaming me for being over sensitive, overly critical and just a plain old PITA.

Yowza, MM! Methinks your ad-sensitivity sensor dial has been set to 11 by some accidental misfortune (no connection to Fortune 500 intended by that word). Just enter your mind, go into ad compound, find the panel with the Ad-Sensitivity dial on it, step up to the dial, and turn it down to about a healthy 4 or 5. Then carefully step away from the dial, making sure it doesn't flip back up to 11.

There. That ought to do it. Now go to the MOTU site, and you'll see what the rest of us see. A guy who does work for Fortune 500 companies uses MOTU DP and other MOTU products. That's good for all of us. Makes us known by what we use professionally to the bigtime companies.

[cool]

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

blue wrote:...Your argument seems a bit naive to me. Do you think MOTU would even print an article about you or any other composer were you not involved in a high profile gig? It's the prestigious tie-in that's selling the product here, not the composer. Why not put that ahead?
I don't think it is naive at all. When Finale did their article, I was scoring for the Olympics, but they didn't lead with the Olympic logo. They lead with it in the title, yes, but not the Olympic logo. In the current instance, Fortune mag really has no connection to MOTU WHATSOEVER. That's basically all I'm sayin' here.

Hey, it's only my opinion. Since we discuss all things MOTU here, I thought it was fair game. So how do I think it might have done better? And better showcase the person actually using the program?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=49&langid=100&

And, BTW, isn't it convenient that the Fortune 500 cover looks A LOT like the DP 5 logo...?

Interesting --- coincidence?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

Speaking of the DP5 logo, I was disappointed with it. It looks like it was designed by a graphics intern who had just taken a 20th Century art history class.

Demuth-Figure5InGold.jpg

Sorry for going OT.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

:roll:
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
billf

Post by billf »

Is this turning into the Summer of Unicorn Discontent?

Here's my take on this topic:

Silence from MOTU on the status of MachFive II: Poor marketing

MOTU using Fortune on their website: non-issue, why should I care?

Please MOTU release something new so we can get back to talking about music and gear. :wink:
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Interesting --- coincidence?
Not really interesting. But do you have anything for us on men in black helicopters?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mcgwd
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mcgwd »

"paranoia will destroy you"- The Kinks
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

rcannonp wrote:Speaking of the DP5 logo, I was disappointed with it. It looks like it was designed by a graphics intern who had just taken a 20th Century art history class.

Demuth-Figure5InGold.jpg

Sorry for going OT.

now that‘s interesting... perhaps a fan of the authors of my nickname did the dp5 logo?

and btw, I personally don‘t care about this particular motu ad, but I think it is legitimate to discuss this here. I don‘t like the way every discussion that is not about a way to do something in dp or getting married is pushed into ridiculousity.

why don‘t leave a thread alone if you have nothing productive to add?
DP 5.12/OS X 10.4.9/MacBook C2D 2.0 1GB Ram/RME Fireface 400
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Everyone's got an opinion. They can express it within certain bounds. I really don't see anything bad about using the Fortune 500 picture in connection with that story. Is that unproductive?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

vier-personen wrote:I don‘t like the way every discussion that is not about a way to do something in dp or getting married is pushed into ridiculousity.
Man, then you must hate most of my posts.

FWIW, the Fortune 500 ad didn't rub me the wrong way at all. My knee-jerk response wasn't to think that MOTU was a 500 company.
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

James Steele wrote:Everyone's got an opinion. They can express it within certain bounds. I really don't see anything bad about using the Fortune 500 picture in connection with that story. Is that unproductive?
chrispick wrote: Man, then you must hate most of my posts.
no, it‘s not unproductive to express your opinion and I am in no way against parody, fun or mind-bending remarks by a certain monkey.
but I just thought "But do you have anything for us on men in black helicopters?" is a little hard. I guess I can take this as a joke, I was reffering to the general tendency on this board.

I think rcannonp pointed us to a very interesting topic with his link to Demuth‘s painting. The similiarities between his painting and the DP5 logo can‘t be denied.
It reminds me of the work of artists like Goran Djordjevic (who later called himself Kazimir Malevic and (among other things) made an exhibition called "The Harbringers of Apocalypse" in 1981, where 50 copies of his painting from 1969 with the same title made by different artist were shown - he claimed "the copies are more important than the original") or Laibach (vier-personen is a title of one of their songs) - at least their "coverversion" or rather "new-original" of Queens "one vision" called "geburt einer nation" (birth of a nation) should be studied by everyone IMO.
I gotta go editing clicks, so I can‘t go on with this, but what really interests me is if Demuth‘s painting was simply a draft for the DP5 logo or if there are other psychological factors involved and intended.
DP 5.12/OS X 10.4.9/MacBook C2D 2.0 1GB Ram/RME Fireface 400
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:...do you have anything for us on men in black helicopters?
At the risk of being bashed once again for saying the Emperor has no cloths, what I am finding increasingly objectionable the discussions we, as a group, enter into at times, is how they quickly degrade into a "him vs me" or a "I'm on your side, the other guy is a jerk" kind of 'debate.' A mass-debation of words, if you will.

Pointing out and/or objecting to something is NOT necessarily paranoid, nor is it a personal attack or, as I was recently accused of, stalking. Pointing out that we are being advertised to, or that a promotional piece (the current topic) may be somewhat deceptive is NOT cause for saying the poster needs to "dial down" his sensitivity.

I don't mind being a moving target for having the balls to speak my mind. But perhaps there is a bit of cowardice in those joining the group attack on a messenger without really stating an objection or position, perhaps in the form of a "rolling your eyes icon" (an attempt to validate your position in an earlier thread?) or a snide comment without really making a substantive contribution to the discussion.

What it truly smacks of is a "Lord of the Flies" kind of mentality, and, dare I say it here: *** POLITICAL COMMENT REMOVED** There is safety in numbers and woe the man who is different. Some of you would do well to read Marat Sade.

Again, I can take the heat, fellas. In fact, I still maintain my initial observation IS fairly accurate: that MOTU (the subject of this ENTIRE forum, btw) is stretching it a bit with their recent splash page. READ THE ARTICLE! They are not mentioned, even in passing. Look at the graphics. Yes, it is coincidental that the big orange "5" is on the mag cover. The point being: MOTU is capitalizing on their very loose connection to that.

So say what you will and say it how you wish. NON-comments carry no nutritional value and, in this instance, do nothing except ATTEMPT to make the moving target move faster. If it were a troll posting, I would probably join in (if not start the shooting myself.) But I really resent some of the shallow comments made in this thread and in other recent threads where I made legitimate observations.

I thought this was a forum for DISCUSSION, not a shooting gallery. Perhaps I am mistaken.

PULL!

MM
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:At the risk of being bashed once again for saying the Emperor has no cloths...
To say the Emperor has no clothes in this situation is stating that your opinion is the way it really is (i.e., a fact). I think the truth is more like the Emperor is wearing only hotpants and an unbuttoned leather vest; I wish he'd put more clothes on, but he's not naked.

I agree that people are coming down on you a bit, but you are somewhat belaboring a point which most everyone else has dismissed (though I'm still posting, so ... pass me the whip, this horse ain't dead enough yet).
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... as you knew full well, I removed the political comment from your post MIDI Life. You go ahead and espouse whatever theory you wish. I expressed my opinion more than once already that it's realling making a big deal out of nothing. But please, by all means, do continue.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

vier-personen wrote:no, it‘s not unproductive to express your opinion and I am in no way against parody, fun or mind-bending remarks by a certain monkey.
but I just thought "But do you have anything for us on men in black helicopters?" is a little hard. I guess I can take this as a joke, I was reffering to the general tendency on this board.
Have you even LOOKED around at other boards. The "general tendency" you describe is much better than most from what I've seen and been told. The OT Forum is a little more loose and always has been. When it got too ridiculous before the ban on politics and religion (which was just ignored yet again a moment ago), I just deleted this forum. It makes things much less difficult to moderate when there is no OT Forum. Perhaps I'll just go back to something that will make my life easier. Wouldn't you?