Do you leave your equipment always on??

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
OldTimey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by OldTimey »

i shut down at night and if im gone for more than a few hours.

living in beautiful san diego i dont need air conditioning, but there are days when the inside of my room can creep up to 80 degrees.

id rather not expose my gear to that kind of heat for extended periods of time. especially my liquid cooled powerpc fx 970, or as i call it, The Infernorater.
why would i want to skin a cat?
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Yes the power surge and the heating and expanding of components can bring on failure. Some gear has a ease on where it slowly adds the power reducing the shock wave.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
RCory

Post by RCory »

This BB probably uses more electricity to run than your equipment...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've left my equipment on for 23 years, or at least since "Sleep" was invented. I turn it off for thunderstorms, and unplug it from AC and network. Lightning surges have blown my components on two occasions, and both times they were unplugged from the AC. It was the network that picked up the field from the lightning, and blew the networking cards, as well as all boxes on the network -- router, switches, and bridges. Fortunately, it didn't blow my printer, but it did blow a lot of stuff in a classic tangerine iMac. Oh well...

By the way, the temp in our house is regularly in the 80's for summertime. Can't help it. I run DP with fans on me and the equipment, but it's 85 degree fahrenheit air that is "cooling" us. That's with air conditioners running full blast. The temp outside is often 105, with 60% humidity!!!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
sschweyen

Post by sschweyen »

Shooshie wrote:The temp outside is often 105, with 60% humidity!!!
I hear you on that! I used to keep my computers running constantly, but then got tired of paying the high electric bill. As the computers were running constantly ($$), the AC was kicking in more ($$)...making the bill higher, now I only power up on when I need them. keeps the room cooler and lessens the electric bill. If i don't need the horse power, ill just use my i book. I live in Vegas and it can get hot in the summertime (but we normally don't have high humidity---thank god)
Dual G5 1.8 1.25 Gb RAM / DP 5.13 / Reason 4.01 / Recycle 2.5 / Logic Express 7, Logic 8, various soft synths n' stuff
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:So unless there's an extremely GOOD reason to leave everything on (and, according to your views there isn't anything), I'll keep shutting down.

Thank you all 8)
Hmmm. Very strange I thought I responded to this the other day, but now my post is gone. Unless it was another thread. :?

Anyway, there is one reason for leaving Macs running and that is the scheduled maintenance routines. It is my understanding that they are run in the wee hours of the morning. They can be run manually, however, from terminal with the following:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

It will ask you for your password and then chug away for a few minutes to do its thing. Don't quit terminal until it is done (indicated by the return of the $ prompt).

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Phil O wrote:Hmmm. Very strange I thought I responded to this the other day, but now my post is gone. Unless it was another thread. :?
Phil
No Phil, I noticed similar behavior in another thread and since it was nothing about politics, religion or anyone's ancestry, I doubt James deleted anything.

Something is deleting messages across the forum. Weird computer stuff!

MM
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

You can use Macjanitor or Maccaroni to do the maintence, they are free as a down load.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
monkey man

Re: Do you leave your equipment always on??

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:...But I DO leave it on overnight every once in a while so it can go thru it's UNIX routines - or whatever it does at 4AM. Of course, I can also run those with ONYX if need be.
I use Cocktail to shut the 'puter down every night, and tweak its options so that on Fridays it runs the weekly scripts, and once a month, well.

FWIW, I've often looked at the clock when I've heard the OS running the scripts (they're called cron scripts, I think); you can easily tell it's happening as the OS drive will suddenly get busy.
I believe they're run at 3:15 AM.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

monkey man wrote:I believe they're run at 3:15 AM.
Thanks, banana breath.Good idea. But wouldn't that mean they are running at like 2PM my time??? Duh...!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
monkey man wrote:I believe they're run at 3:15 AM.
Thanks, banana breath. Good idea. But wouldn't that mean they are running at like 2PM my time??? Duh...!
Only during prime-numberd months of leap years.

Crikey, don't you gorillas attend school? :D

twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

What time would they run if we were going 3/4 the speed of light?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

twistedtom wrote:What time would they run if we were going 3/4 the speed of light?
Let's see... oh, wait a nanosecond. 8)
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

twistedtom wrote:What time would they run if we were going 3/4 the speed of light?
Well, seeing as this ape did attend the school of obscure facts:

It would depend upon the current speed of light (it's slowing down gradually), and more specifically on the speed of the light you might be referring to.
It's been slowed to a grinding halt and also to very slow speeds in the lab many times.

I also submit that it smoked the current standard speed in the not-so-distant past.
The universe, therefore, may not be as old as it appears to be, given that the linear-time methodology is all-pervasive nowadays.
Actually, the linear-everything model would be an apt description of where we're at.
Nature ain't, nor has it ever been, constant.

Interestingly, although said speed has been shown to be reducing, since the '50s it appears to have remained constant.
This is simply because we've been using atomic clocks to make the measurements since that time!
Think "wavelength of cesium 133 atom" (I think), which is essentially... a measurement of light. :lol:
Light to measure light. Brilliant. You've got a rubber ruler there, you silly, silly scientists.
And folks wonder why I've lost faith in "modern" science. :roll:

EDIT: This bit's a joke, the above comments aren't.
After consulting my ape-acus, I calculate the answer to your question to be:
03:15 x 0.75, which equals 195 minutes x 0.75 which equals 146.25 minutes after midnight.

02:26:15 AM, methinks, subject to changes in the speed of light. :?

Sorry. Back to our regular wednesday schedule. :lol:
Last edited by monkey man on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Dude, that's f'd up! Time to switch to decaf.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.