828 mk11 and Quicktimepro 7.1 conflict?- bad audio output

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mcoffey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 mk11 and Quicktimepro 7.1 conflict?- bad audio output

Post by mcoffey »

I've been using my 828 mk2 for a few years with no problems.
I recently installed the newest version of QT PRO 7.1 .
When scoring with QT mov.s I'm having more and more frequent breakup, audio digital squeels , distortion in playing back out of the 828 .
Problem corrects itself if I close the movie
Turning the thing on and off , resetting the hardwear driver works for a short time and it's back to the same problem .
When checking on built in audio - the recording is fine .
I phoned Motu - They claimed there was no issue with QT 7 and suggested installing the new drivers . Did that - problem persists.

I never had this problem with QT pro 6

running OS10.4.9

Thans for any help or suggestions

Marsha Coffey :cry:
chucks

Post by chucks »

A factory reset should fix the problem.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 6405589976

I am actually amazed that MOTU did not suggest this in your phone conversation.
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

Thanks Chuck - Did the factory reset didn't work
But I've discovered the problem definately seems to be with driver conflict with QT PRO.

I just loaded my new dp 5.12 into my brand new Macbook pro and was running my movies in QT basic as I had not yet activated Pro. Absolutely NO PROBLEM - not yet any way

Perhaps others may find be able to verify this in their own systems.
I hope it's helpfull for others who may be having the same problem.

I would suggest if you have 2 computers -Do your PRO tasks - trim to select etc on one computer and run them in basic Quictime with DP on another
Is there somewhere on the site I could make a general posting about my findings which could catch the attention of others who are having similar problems. I notice there is a lot of similar frustration with the 828mk2
sean_myracle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sean_myracle »

i am having the same issue.. but not just with qt pro. i am having this issue with the new update to quicktime period. i've tried with pro and basic and having the same issue after updating to the new itunes version and quicktime 7.1.6.

this goes for basic audio playback .. not just with movies or multifunctional playback. annoying.

posted my problems and findings separate from this.. but wanted to say im on board with you for trying to get this working again.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21687
15" powerbook g4
1.67 ghz
2gb ddr2
os x 10.4.9

motu 828mkII fw
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

Hi Sean ,
Interesting . I'm using quicktime 7.15 non pro at the moment on my new macbook pro , running DP 5.12 .
I'm not too tech savy but I can't figure out how the mere playing back of small QT mov.s while running the recorded audio from Digital performer should mess up the audio so badly . It seems to me that they are 2 seperate tasks being performed by 2 very different programs .
I had also thought about trying to install an earlier version of QT pro but as you say it's a hassel to find .

The non pro 7.15 version seems to be working fine for me . It's a pain though to have to do all the QT Pro prep work on another borrowed computer and import the mov.s into my macbook pro .
You say you're having trouble with I tunes and Qt audio playback as well . I haven't checked this yet on my system as I run them out of internal speakers and not through the 828 mk 2 .
Have you tried going back to QT 7.15 . It comes with OS 10.4.9.

Have you called MOTU ? When I did they denied that there was any problem and told me to install the new drivers .
Maybe if enough of us bring this to their attention , they'll look into it in more depth .

Good luck - Keep me posted. I'll do same

Marsha Coffey
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

Hi Sean ,
Interesting . I'm using quicktime 7.15 non pro at the moment on my new macbook pro , running DP 5.12 .
I'm not too tech savy but I can't figure out how the mere playing back of small QT mov.s while running the recorded audio from Digital performer should mess up the audio so badly . It seems to me that they are 2 seperate tasks being performed by 2 very different programs .
I had also thought about trying to install an earlier version of QT pro but as you say it's a hassel to find .

The non pro 7.15 version seems to be working fine for me . It's a pain though to have to do all the QT Pro prep work on another borrowed computer and import the mov.s into my macbook pro .
You say you're having trouble with I tunes and Qt audio playback as well . I haven't checked this yet on my system as I run them out of internal speakers and not through the 828 mk 2 .
Have you tried going back to QT 7.15 . It comes with OS 10.4.9.

Have you called MOTU ? When I did they denied that there was any problem and told me to install the new drivers .
Maybe if enough of us bring this to their attention , they'll look into it in more depth .

Good luck - Keep me posted. I'll do same

Marsha Coffey