828mkII on Vista???

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
AgincourtDB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by AgincourtDB »

fwmusician75 wrote:agreed, you can't just choose an OS because it's new and expect everything to be fine.
Totally. I just think there's a lot of Chicken Little going on about Vista, when it's really too early to tell. By all means don't switch unless you need to for other reasons (like moi) and if you do, then expect to wait for the hardware manufacturers to catch up with good drivers.
-Dave B (aggie)
Hard2Hear

Post by Hard2Hear »

AgincourtDB wrote: Nobody has working low latency drivers because nobody has drivers that use the new audio driver model. The true test of the OS will be pro/proaudio cards with WaveRT drivers. Everything else is testing for the wrong thing.
WaveRT doesnt support Firewire, so thats not likely to be your next generation PRO Audio solution. Fine for games on soundblasters, but definately not for Pro Audio.
Hard2Hear

Post by Hard2Hear »

To add, check out the July Sound on Sound article on Vista for Pro Audio.

I love this quote:
Matthias Carstens, RME: ••œWe at
RME have no reason to think that
Wave RT will ever be a serious
professional audio solution simply
because Microsoft is involved.••
AgincourtDB

Post by AgincourtDB »

O.K., we get it: you don't like Vista. It's not as good as XP as far as performance, at this time. I will grant you. I think predicting the future (RME's quote there) is just foolish, IMHO. Problems get ironed out over time, as we've seen with OS's before.

My point is, that's not what I'm talking about. I have a specific problem with this (x64 Vista) driver: I can't hear any audio with WDM/KS, ASIO, not even ASIO4all, in P5 or in Sonar, which are all I use. I have everything routed correctly. I need it fixed.
-Dave B (aggie)
jsr
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jsr »

AgincourtDB wrote:The true test of the OS will be pro/proaudio cards with WaveRT drivers. Everything else is testing for the wrong thing.
Let's not forget Microsoft have designed WaveRT in such as way as to exclude Firewire audio devices; that's not exactly making it easy for the hardware manufacturers .... nor does it help that they are requiring DRM support to be built into the hardware before getting Vista logo certification -- the surest indication yet that Microsoft have very little interest in serving the pro audio community.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

[quote="Hard2Hear"]To add, check out the July Sound on Sound article on Vista for Pro Audio.

I love this quote:
Matthias Carstens, RME: ••œWe at
RME have no reason to think that
Wave RT will ever be a serious
professional audio solution simply
because Microsoft is involved.••
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Kangotwang
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Kangotwang »

This is an either/or problem (OS or hardware) and I received an email today from Presonus telling me where to download the new driver to fix this same problem with a Firepod. It's a beta version but it did get my audio up and running. I'm sure Motu is working on it also.
It's not what you do. It's why you do it.
sebbee

64bit vista 828mk2

Post by sebbee »

Am not even getting anysound at all from my 828mk2.. the unit works perfect on my imac. anyone know a solution to atleast get glitchy sound from windows vista? haha..
yapweiliang

Post by yapweiliang »

My 828 mkii is working fine with Vista 64 (I have 2GB ram installed, using the current drivers). However the difference is I'm using the USB version. My current wonderment is that the Motu audio console does not allow me to set a latency any lower than 512 samples per buffer.
AgincourtDB

Re: 64bit vista 828mk2

Post by AgincourtDB »

sebbee wrote:Am not even getting anysound at all from my 828mk2.. the unit works perfect on my imac. anyone know a solution to atleast get glitchy sound from windows vista? haha..
If you have 4 gig, it's probably the 4 gig bug. I spoke to tech support and they suggested trying it with 2G, which worked. It is a known problem and they're (hopefully) working on it...
-Dave B (aggie)
sebbee

Post by sebbee »

AgincourtDB wrote:
sebbee wrote:Am not even getting anysound at all from my 828mk2.. the unit works perfect on my imac. anyone know a solution to atleast get glitchy sound from windows vista? haha..
If you have 4 gig, it's probably the 4 gig bug. I spoke to tech support and they suggested trying it with 2G, which worked. It is a known problem and they're (hopefully) working on it...

Oh that's great news, thanks. I do have 4gb.
Smokehouse

Post by Smokehouse »

"I'll try anything twice."
Dell Latitude E6400 w/ WIN XP SP3, ADS Pyro 1394 FireWire
SONAR 8.5, WaveArts TrackPlus & MasterVerb, AutoTune 4.1
MOTU 828 MKIII, MOTU 828mkII, Presonus Digimax LT
zruzzo

Post by zruzzo »

I try vista with a multiface RME and work sometime with 1024 buffer... and no plugins.
With XP is a super computer, I can work with 64 buffer.

Is not possible use vista for audio now.
arth

Post by arth »

sebbee wrote:
AgincourtDB wrote:If you have 4 gig, it's probably the 4 gig bug. I spoke to tech support and they suggested trying it with 2G, which worked. It is a known problem and they're (hopefully) working on it...
Oh that's great news, thanks. I do have 4gb.
For what it's worth, you can use 3 GB RAM too (2x1024, 2x512), without requiring Windows to change its memory mapping model.

However, it's usually much preferable to use only two RAM modules, because you then can lower the latency of the RAM compared to using four sticks, and you get a slightly better tag cache hit on the CPU too. Faster RAM is usually preferable to more RAM once you have "enough". For DAW use, more RAM doesn't really help much, but speedier RAM may.
If you run Photoshop, yes, put in 3 GB, but there's few programs like that which will truly use whatever RAM you put in and slowly swap to disk if 2 GB isn't enough.
rawhedrex

Post by rawhedrex »

I'm using vista 64 for audio - interface is a focusrite saffire 26 i/o, the drivers are a bit buggy - ocasional weirdness - however the performance is excellent, I'm not entirely convinced by some of the negative feedback.

I couldn't get the ultralite to run in vista - and what was VERy annoying was that the tech support didn't mention the 4 gig bug until i brought it up - even then they didn't aknowledge it existed untill i pressed VERY hard.

I'd like an ultralite - it's size and I/O made alot of sense for what i wanted - however it's been a LONG time since drivers were posted, so I'm not holding my breath.....