what kind of music are you in?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

I've been meaning to ask you for a while now how the Beetle's coming/going along, Gary.

Perhaps one day soon I'll do so. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
drvmusic

Post by drvmusic »

I split my time paying lifelong student loans to Berklee College of Guitar & Drums and Roosevelt Univ. (film scoring and composition studies respectively) through a mix of film and concert work. Over the past couple years I have opened my studio to do engineering and producing of some local artists.

I also do some teaching of theory, composition, and guitar.

I am working towards skills in composer piano :wink: , but it's so much more efficient for me to just enter it in Sibelius in the first place. Practicing piano is, like, work.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

monkey man wrote:I've been meaning to ask you for a while now how the Beetle's coming/going along, Gary.

Perhaps one day soon I'll do so. :lol:

?????

You mean "The Fab Four"? The bass player is a friend of mine.
I think I like the Japanese band version though. Forgot their names.

I always make sure the old licks from those days are present when writing.
My album is quite different and much more updated. Sort of a '70's '80s pop rock with a bit of Alternative thrown in with hip hop.

If you like I can PM you a link to my production page, unpublished and private currently.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Naa... the VeeDub, man!

I'd like very much to hear some stuff, Gary.

FWIW, I'm already excited about posting some of my own, even though I haven't recorded it yet! :oops:
As I said in another thread, I'm perilously close to starting the recording of the 140 or so DP sequences I've archived and programming 60 or so cassette/dictaphone ideas as well.
Depending on what it delivers in terms of FX, it could well be that the next DP is all I'll need.
Oh, apart from an Intel Mac, of course (the G5 reads well over 50% CPU before audio tracks or VIs are added, and that's at a buffer setting of 1024!)

Anyway, thank you for the offer; PM me if you like. :D

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I've got hundreds of hours of improv and ideas and zero discipline to finish anything since I decided to be fun-based a few years back and sort of reinvent myself. I used to do more normal music and made a living at it but became annoyed with my musical dogma...
Here's a couple I actually finished a couple of years ago, done in my mom's basement with VI's while we were house-shopping and living there temporarily. This stuff is mostly "algorithmically generated with human intervention" using Numerology into DP.

http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public ... elease.mp3
Here's some free-form mayhem complete with stuck notes, but I liked it anyway:
http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public ... -doyng.mp3

cheers
Phil
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Cool stream of conscience stuff paul. This kind of thing is taking off. There is some DJ that is doing concerts all over the world and building major followings.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

FMiguelez wrote:except reggaeton.
hey! don't hate on my people's national music! (I am Puerto Rican). Unless you want to start some kind of cultural war here! I can't stand norteña! hehe joking. I don't like reggaeton either. :lol:
why would i want to skin a cat?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

OldTimey wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:except reggaeton.
hey! don't hate on my people's national music! (I am Puerto Rican). Unless you want to start some kind of cultural war here! I can't stand norteña! hehe joking. I don't like reggaeton either. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Actually, I cant' stand Norteño either. I really dislike Mariachis. Cumbias... don‘t like them at all. I‘m not crazy about Salsa either, but at least, it is SO MUCH MORE interesting and complex musicaly.

Oh, great. Now, for some reason, I was reminded of some mariachi tune in my head.

Now I‘m hearing: Chun-ta-ta chun-ta-ta chun-ta-ta

...pass the tequila, please.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Hey MM. Come on, punch that record button. It won't hurt much. :)
killerpineapple

Post by killerpineapple »

I graduated from Cal State Northridge with a degree in composition. I went in hoping to become a film composer. I came out realizing how dang hard it was.

I finished up my education to become a high school music teacher but just before that happened I got a full time job writing music for my friend's computer game company. I'm pretty decent at orchestral music on my wittle-bitty home studio, but I run into serious trouble trying to do anything electronic.
- Matt

G5 dual 2.7 GHz PPC, OSX 10.5, DP 5.13, MOTU 2408 mkII, PCI-X 424, MSI, Roland 2080, EWQLSO Platinum Pro, EWQLSC
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Timeline wrote:Hey MM. Come on, punch that record button. It won't hurt much. :)
Hey Gary, as I said a few months back:
monkey man wrote:FWIW, I'm already excited about posting some of my own, even though I haven't recorded it yet! :oops:
OK, so I'm not excited anymore. I've become somewhat jaded.
Family dramas, health, finances and this seemingly endless wait for DP's new plugs is what I've put it down to.
The flame needs rekindling. I won't deny it.

As I also said though:
monkey man wrote:Depending on what it delivers in terms of FX, it could well be that the next DP is all I'll need.
Oh, apart from an Intel Mac, of course (the G5 reads well over 50% CPU before audio tracks or VIs are added, and that's at a buffer setting of 1024!)
The Mac's on its way, so now it's up to DP.
PoCo has to go, and I don't own any other pro plugs, so you can understand why I've been hankering for DP to update and expand its plug set for the last, um, 4 or 5 years. :lol:
My budget's become much tighter now (which is ridiculous, given what it was), so if DP's doing this was a hope a year ago, it's a necessity today.
Pray with me if you like:

"Oh Gods of MOTU, please hear our desperate cries! (OK, just mine! LOL)
Please have mercy on our poor, ever-so-patient and faithful souls,
And deliver us to DP, or DP to us,
Lest we wither like the vine that drinketh not amidst the 5 year Pro Plug drought.

Yours in everlasting faith,
'Cornies :lol:

PS: Please, oh Gods of MOTU, ensure little pain for those who pusheth the red button.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

monkey man wrote:PS: Please, oh Gods of MOTU, ensure little pain for those who pusheth the red button.
Phil O wrote:Wow! If I were half that organized, I'd be half organized.
Those are my 2 favorite lines of the year so far
zarmattathustra

Post by zarmattathustra »

I'm a starving artist, hoping to eat one day: A media artist, so I do all sort media, I guess.

Music wise I'm trying to invent a new kind of music. It's a kind of radical jump into the unknown. Influences from John Cage, Frank Zappa, Brain Eno, Black Sabbath, Sun Ra, and who knows what else. I wouldn't know how to explain it. If it fits into a known genera it's probably "ambient electronic," with a little microtonalism thrown in for good measure. It's mostly adventures into the unknown, which is sorta how I like it. I guess you could classify it as "serious music."

I think I approach music more as a painter then as a musician / composer / producer. It's usually lots of sequencing.

I play guitar, though my guitar playing needs a lot of work. Kinda metal-ish in that regard, but also interested in strange harmonies.

I'm working to develop mix engineering skills.

That's the broad brush strokes.
check out my blogs and podcasts if u like http://mattsearles.com/podcast_blog/ and [url=asymmetricbizcult: A New Philosophy of Art Mind and Business]http://asymmetricbizcult.com/[/url] (Did I mention I was God's Advocate with the Devil?)
PrimeMover

Post by PrimeMover »

Well, I got my degree from Oberlin Conservatory in Electronic Music Composition, with a minor in traditional composition. I currently live and work in Fairbanks, Alaska, as a TV producer, for the moment. But the great thing is that I get to score some of my commercial spots. I've written and scored a news theme for the station which is currently airing in VI form (EWQLSO Gold), but the local symphony orchestra is currently practicing to record it towards the end of the month.

The other half of the time, I'm writing progrock tunes and playing with my band (keyboards and lead vocals). My dream job is scoring for games, but I'd settle for TV or film, though at the moment, my portfolio has much more in the animation/motion-graphics department.
Mac Pro (Quad 2GHz) | 7GB RAM | Mac OS 10.5.4 (Leopard)
DP6 & DP 5.13 | Kontakt 3 | EWQLSO Gold XP
MOTU 8pre | Alesis QS8.1 Synthesizer
DP6 crashes with ProVerb
RainMan7
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RainMan7 »

I am a self-taught musician that dabbles in short films, video games, theatre and a virtual groundbreaking. Most of my efforts have gone well but it hasn't spelled into financial stability quite yet! :) They never tell you how worthless awards are when you get into this gig...

I consider composition to my emphasis with a small background in sound and engineering. I play piano... but consider myself too jittery to be a performer. I am trying to become fluent with every style of music that I can. I hope to do more film composing in the future.