what kind of music are you in?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
nickysnd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

what kind of music are you in?

Post by nickysnd »

First, thumbs up for James, that was really fast. Many thanks for setting this up! 8)

Second, I think it would be interesting if we'll inform each other which musical field(s) we're in. I am into film scoring - I'm a student, doing music for student projects, now and then. Also, I do some music preparation - copying, takedowns, orchestration, etc. in Finale. I'd love to do some songwiting, pop-rock, but I've had a few disappointing experiences with lyricists and singers... I am also considering getting into music libraries (no need for lyricists/singers there :) )

How about you?

Edit -
I play composer piano.
Last edited by nickysnd on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac mini Apple M1 ♦ 8GB RAM ♦ MacOS 14.4.1 ♦ Focusrite Scarlett Solo ♦ DP 11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm owner, operator, and engineer in my home based studio. It's small and home based but definitely commercial. Sometimes I'm just the engineer. Other times I end up functioning more like a producer.

I play drums, 5-string banjo, and not quite enough trumpet to call myself a trumpet player. I teach part time at a private music school where I have 15 private students, 5 to 7 ensemble classes at any given time, and an occasional course in music theory, ear training, or recording techniques. (Damn! Did I say part time?) Most of my writing is for the school and consists of arranging for the school's ensembles.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I'm just a punk who's edging ever closer to recording again.
I've not completed a song since the early 90s and haven't played (bass, guitar and keys) or sung at all, so who knows how things will sound?

I'll tell you what though, stylistically speaking this monkey's willing to give anything a go.
Yay! :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
simonr
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by simonr »

I'm an old git.

I have a small home set-up. I play keyboards, guitar, bass and a little sax. I find it hard to categorise my songs. I assume they are Adult Alternative or Adult Contemporary until put right.

I do the whole shaboodle. But I'm bringing in a female vocalist on my next project. Should be a challenge, never written for a female before

I don't get as much time as I would like doing my music.

If you can work out what style my music is I would be more than grateful.

The latest is 'Pretty Blue'

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=348540

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for posting links to music.
logo80

Post by logo80 »

small home studio here too... I play metal, hard rock and prog metal mostly live... but here I record for people the most of the times for free... :x every kind of music... Talking about working I'm an audio and light technician in my city's auditorium and I record mostly classical music outside my little studio.
Regards, Lorenzo
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

My home studio is mainly a production studio. I have a degree in songwriting from Berklee with a minor in music production & engineering. I write for film (indie mostly), tv/cable, corporate video - whatever I can really. I tend not to rent out the studio, but every now and again I get a friend who talks me into it :-) Like now, I'm recording a friend who is a well known children's performer.

My style is...well...organic. Lots of real instruments and very few VIs, though I love the B3 sound on my Triton Extreme...probably too much for my own good. I play guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, trumpet, piano/keys and a little drums (my dad was a drummer & taught me)...oh yeah and I sing. Plus, my wife is a soprano who plays guitar too.

I also do a lot of location recording, mostly classical and traditional jazz. I love those gigs...a nice concert & they pay me to be there :-D
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Mostly sound design work..with a smattering of music thrown in.
(My brothers always trying to get me to work on my theory)
The Tom Waits approach to music making though..pots and pans,
to VI's to whatevers lying around to make music with.
I play alot of different things badly :lol:
logo80

Post by logo80 »

whops... I forgot... I play classical piano and keyboards...
Regards, Lorenzo
JadeLatrell

Post by JadeLatrell »

Went to school for audio engineering long ago. Then ended up as a Producer for a very well known video gaming company.

Currently, my passion is producing and drawing the passions out of young songwriters and artists. I am a songwriter as well, but often get stuck many brilliant song beginnings and not so many completions.

My home studio is really a glorified songwriters studio, where I love to write songs that are packed with emotion and feel. If that means VIs, guitar, bass, piano, whatever it takes... I love the balance or tension that electronic and acoustic can create. It also allows me to help people arrange and write, honing their own abilities.

I'm stuck in the place of helping draw out excellence and attention to the craft, while the influences people want to be like are quickly losing any semblance of excellence or attention to the craft.
MacPro 3.0, 5GB RAM, DP 5.12, BLA modded MOTU Traveler, Rosetta 800, Muse Receptor, UAD-1e, Kore, Komplete 4, Cakewalk Dim Pro, and then some. LaChapell Audio 992 EG (Brimar and Mullard custom tubes), True P2Analog, Sytek MP4A, Adam A7s, MacBook Pro for mobile
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi, everone!

My brief story:

Graduated from Berklee (Film Scoring and Composition)
Currently I am doing lots of Jingle writing, and a few TV shows as well.

I LOVE "classical" music, Film music, jazz, and basically anything except reggaeton.

I have yet to score a movie...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
jgest

Post by jgest »

I am an aspiring artist who makes their own music. I have been a guitar and electric sitar player for 20 years in and out of many failed bands trying to get that elusive "record deal", until I opened my ears up to electronica and dance music (not techno). Now I combine multiple styles and genres that create a sound I vibe with.
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
npatton

Post by npatton »

Part-time everything, master of nothing...

I teach about 28 piano students. Horribly irritated by the lack of theory knowledge my transfer students come in with, so I really enjoy working that into their lessons, and pointing out how it's used in the songs they're playing, whether pop, jazz or classical. BA in Music, with an emphasis in piano.

1/4 time worship pastor at my church. Lots of small ensemble arranging and, of course, playing every week. Interesting challenge creating nice arrangements with varying degrees of skill in my team, from doctoral-level professionals to 3-chord middle school strummers.

Part-time freelancer, learning/doing arranging, CD production (in a friend's studio), composing for myself and my wife (flute), and the obligatory background music gigs at weddings, malls, dinners, cocktail parties, whatever.

Very blessed to be supporting my fam with music. Never thought it would be possible!
Mac Pro (Late 2013) (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM) OS 10.13.6
MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 gigs RAM); OSX10.11.6; DP 10.13; Unisyn 2.1.1; Stylus RMX; MOTU MIDI Express XT; MOTU 828x; Kurzweil PC3 with Kore 64; Roland XV-5050, D-50; Alesis QS7; Yamaha S90ES, TX-216; Hammond XK-3

----------------------------------
FWIW, my own music can be heard at...
http://www.neilpatton.net
http://http://www.pandora.com/neil-patton
Business Site: http://www.pattonmusic.com
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Here is what I do.
www.davidosuna.com
Enjoy and let me know what you think.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

npatton wrote:Part-time everything, master of nothing...
You're probably aware of the original quote that was twisted for the sake of a joke, but somehow stuck, something I'd put down to man's all-too-prevalent penchant for taking the easiest path.
I myself leave that to water and electricity. :lol:

FWIW, I believe the original went something like:
"Jack of all trades, master of one".

Many folks are shocked to learn this.
monkey man wrote:I'm just a punk..
simonr wrote:I'm an old git.
LOL! It sounds like we both know the score, simonr. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I don't know what the F___ I do anymore. I started in a band, changed to engineering, now back to composing and whatever over a 38 year span. I've yet to make money on music recently but damit, I'll keep doing it anyway cause it's the bomb.

Style wise, rock, alternative when a young vocalists are found, Crazed TV thematic compositions like this: http://eirec.com/tv1.mp3 (might have to wait until tomorrow for this one.

Whatever comes into being in any direction really.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2