Sustain pedal weird problem ?!?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Diazruanova
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sustain pedal weird problem ?!?

Post by Diazruanova »

I am having this weird problem and do not know how to solve it:

When I am playing MSI from my MIDI Master keyboard, the Sustain Pedal does not work as it should and this is more noticeable with the Piano sounds. MSI is indeed receiving the Sustain Pedal (MIDI CC 64) and this shows on the MIDI activity LED, BUT in order to sustain the sound, it is necessary to first play any note (higher or lower pitched)and keep it pressed indefinitely, in other words, only NOTE-ON and never a NOTE-OFF and it is only then that the rest of the notes are sustained by the pedal.
This does not happen when I play sounds from my outboard gear or external HardWare Synths (trough DP 5), that sustain perfectly fine.

BTW, I have been using my Master keyboard controller, a Roland MKB-300 for almost 15 years, fist with Opcode Vision and now with DP Performer V.5 and I have never had a problem with it, in fact, if I play any of my outboard gear through DP, they all work as expected when I apply the sustain pedal, but for MSI playing it either as stand alone or through DP the behavior is different compared to when I play any of my external synths and samplers. It seems that I am going to need to hire someone to keep the upper most treble key pushed down through a recording session while I play the rest of the keyboard (kidding), but seriously, it is the first time I see this issue and it has me baffled.
Now, I am pretty sure that the pedal sends CC 64 and it shows when I try to apply the "MIDI learn" function within MSI,: It detects immediately the CC 64 !
I was thinking of recording just one note (with it‘s velocity set at 0), either the most upper or the lowest and have it extended all the way without having it‘s corresponding note-off, maybe that will do the trick and only then the pedal will work as it should.

I think I will have to resign myself, unless of course, any of you guys can come up with something really brilliant to solve this not so bad but nonetheless, annoying problem !

Enrique :shock:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2940 MHz // GPU: ATI-Radeon HD 5670
MotherBoard: Gigabyte H55M-USB3 // RAM: 8Gb // Audio Card: Audio Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Cubase 6 x 64 Bit 6.0.4
The Grand 3 ver. 3.1.1 64Bit // Halion Symphonic Orchestra 1.5.0 x 64 Bit
EWQLSO Symphonic Orchestra GOLD 64Bit (Play 3.0.21)
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

That's very strange, it is working perfectly normally for me!

Will try to think what it might be....

kind regards

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Diazruanova

Post by Diazruanova »

stephentayler wrote:That's very strange, it is working perfectly normally for me!

Will try to think what it might be....

kind regards

Stephen
Thanks Stephen,

It is very weird indeed, because otherwise it is working perfectly fine, go figure...

Enrique
MotherBoard: Gigabyte H55M-USB3 // RAM: 8Gb // Audio Card: Audio Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Cubase 6 x 64 Bit 6.0.4
Diazruanova

Post by Diazruanova »

Well, the mystery is resolved.

What happens in my case, is that my very old controller, a Roland MKB-300, sends an ALL NOTES OFF CC# 123 whenever I stop pressing any key or remove both hands from the keyboard and it does NOT matter IF I am pressing the Sustain pedal, the ALL NOTES OFF controller prevails over the Sustain Pedal one and therefore the resonance stops sounding.

This happens only with VI‘s but not with my external synths or samplers.

It seems that I‘ll have to buy another keyboard :x

Cubase 6 x 64 Bit 6.0.4