Can I fix an out of tempo guitar track?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
towfur
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I fix an out of tempo guitar track?

Post by towfur »

Hello Everyone this my first post( and probably not the last).My question or situation is this, My guitartist and I recorded a scratch guitar track for one song, without a click track. I am now trying to record the drum tracks using only the scratch guitar track. Its close on the timing between the guitar and drums but still noticeably off. Can I some how align the notes of the guitar track to the, lets say 120bpm click track? I know re-recording the guitar to a click track is one solution. I just wanted to ask if anyone has solved this problem through the DP software. I admit to being a newbie to DP , so I am not completely familar with DP's potential.
Any tips, help? Thanks in advance Chris
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Depends where its out of time - if its in strict rythym chops you can move those in line with the beats by separating the soundbite bits and moving them in line with the drum beat. I wouldn't do it by beat detection either - use your ears and do it manually.However if its arpeggios and moving chord runs that are out this is much more difficult as its a feel thing and would involve much more editing. Much easier to record it again unless its a once in a lifetime performance.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

The Melodune program dpes this very easily. It allows a user to quantize or manually time shift notes as a group or individually. Go to http://www.celemony.com and check out their demo
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

misspelled!! It's early. It is Melodyne
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
wheever

Post by wheever »

donreynolds wrote:The Melodune program dpes this very easily...
Ahhh, I liked Melodune better. Evokes long hot days at the beach. Endless summers. I think we all need a little Melodune in our lives. :D

Sorry. couldn't resist.
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

Melodune it is!! :D
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

wheever wrote:
donreynolds wrote:The Melodune program dpes this very easily...
Ahhh, I liked Melodune better. Evokes long hot days at the beach. Endless summers. I think we all need a little Melodune in our lives. :D

Sorry. couldn't resist.
It made me think of Kyle McLachlan and large worms.
15" MBP - 2.4 GHz, OS 10.4.11 :: DP 5.13, Reason 4, Live 6.0.7 :: MOTU 896 :: Korg MicroKontrol, Casio CDP-100
towfur

Post by towfur »

Thanks everyone for the advice I'll checkout Melodune. I think it will be easier to just record the track again.... with a click track! Towfur
Mac G4 Dual 1ghz/ motu 828mk2/ DP 4.6
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I suggest re-recording to a rythm track similar to your planned final. Makes it much easier for the guitarist to play with the right feel. And you are correct: it is far less work (and ultimately much better sounding) to simply have the guitarist play it again!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
gridgital

Post by gridgital »

use beat detection an awesome feature. Ive been experimenting with this feature and getting great results with just DP. you can copy the tempo map of a audio rhythm track to the conducter track and your MIDI track should follow write along. you can also align audio tracks with the grid in the waveform editor and even mute the transients detected which may interfere with the alignment.
anyways it's in the manual, but you have to work with it and reread to understand. so i wouldn't buy melodied until you try this.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I'm not being a luddite but beat detection in this particular example is a sledgehammer to crack a nut (cliche corner!). Sometimes its easier to use your ears and move things manually - or play better in time!
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.