First major Orchestral mockup

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
ganapatimusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ganapatimusic »

Very impressive. On small speakers there are no more telltale signs of being an orchrestral "mockup" than a real orchestra performance might contain. (One of the problems since sampling became prevalent is that occassionally even a live instrument performance sounds sampled and now you have to work to make it sound different!).

How long did it take to realize? With all that note by note work, ...150 hours? more?
In any case, your first attempt hear makes it uncertain just how much could be gained by upgrading from EWQLSO gold to platinmum.

Thanks.
aafarr2

Post by aafarr2 »

I don't log hours... (unless there is an in-Mac log of hourly usage of a certain file or something...ooooh is there?), but I would estimate that anywhere between 2-4 days a week I had time to work on it for about 2 hours. This was for about 2 months. I really didn't have much time during this creation process. Now, school is done, so now I have much more free time.

Thanks for listening!

And yes, while this was done with gold, I kind of felt that even Gold XP might have been benificial when it comes to articulations. For instance, that "bite" brass that has the edge and stands out in real orchestral settings simply is not present within Gold. Although, I am extremely happy with the articulations provided in the Gold string section.
DP 4.61 on 10.4.8
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 ghz 1.25 gig
Kontakt2/GPO/VSL/EWQLSO Gold
RainMan034

Post by RainMan034 »

aafarr2,

Did you use any effects plugins on the mix?
aafarr2

Post by aafarr2 »

Slight MW eq to boost the overall bass, as well as the built in Apple EQ (largely underestimated) to polish the brass. MW limiter on the main. Slight MW compression on the low brass and low strings.

The reverb I used was Finale's Garriton Reverb, which is meant for Finale, but sounds great when used with DP. I also used the free Blackwater reverb for some of the percussion. All reverb was extremely light, EWQLSO has nice reverb out of the box.
DP 4.61 on 10.4.8
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 ghz 1.25 gig
Kontakt2/GPO/VSL/EWQLSO Gold
ganapatimusic

Post by ganapatimusic »

aafarr2 wrote:I don't log hours... (unless there is an in-Mac log of hourly usage of a certain file or something...ooooh is there?), but I would estimate that anywhere between 2-4 days a week I had time to work on it for about 2 hours. This was for about 2 months. I really didn't have much time during this creation process. Now, school is done, so now I have much more free time.

Thanks for listening!

And yes, while this was done with gold, I kind of felt that even Gold XP might have been benificial when it comes to articulations. For instance, that "bite" brass that has the edge and stands out in real orchestral settings simply is not present within Gold. Although, I am extremely happy with the articulations provided in the Gold string section.
Sometimes I can get a general idea of hours from undo history believe it or not (though this wouldn't include everything).
If you are right and 8weeks x2x4=64+ hours then you are way faster than I, though as far as meeting the rigors of scoring to visual- that's another story and lining up cues, getting aprovals etc....

Do you think Gold plus really has better articulations in the brass?

Again it sounds good.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Well, I've got 20 files ranging from 80 to 932K.

Interesting that there're:

2 x 932K
2 x 164K
2 x 108K
and 2 x 80K.

8 matches out of 20 files.
Odds are it isn't coincidental.

No matter; I'm happy to have tried and heard the 47 secs the 932K files provided.

Well done, aafarr2.
MM

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
somaestudios

orchestral mock up

Post by somaestudios »

Really nice work, keep it up!!
Cesar Callirgos

Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 Ghz, Snow Leopard, Motu 2408MK3, DP 7.24, Waves Mercury Bundle, Sonnox, SPL and Brainworx Plug ins.NI Kontakt 5.Fender Guitars, Pearl Drums Access and Korg Synths etc, etc.....
monkey man

Re: orchestral mock up

Post by monkey man »

somaestudios wrote:Really nice work, keep it up!!
What, the downloads? :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here