new RAM problem

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

cartwheelpro
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new RAM problem

Post by cartwheelpro »

Hi, I just bought 1 gig of new ram and installed myself...i think in the right slot. I have a Mac pro 2ghz. ...the ram is not being recognized. Is it true I have to add ram in pairs??????

Thanks
Cartwheelpro
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Yes.
Apple wrote:DIMMs must be installed in pairs of equal size from the same vendor.
Check here:

PDF
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro ... MM_DIY.pdf
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
cartwheelpro

Post by cartwheelpro »

Thanks Frodo,

now i guess I get to buy more ram.....yeah
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yay! Double for double your money. :D
Hang on... who ever heard of "double for double your money"?

Dude, you're being ripped off! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might CAREFULLY cut the 1GB chip in half and insert each half in to a slot. It still won't work, but the Mac will be more balanced when you take it to the shop to replace all the bpards that fried from inserting the half chips.

Otherwise, buy a second chip. It DOES NOT have to be from the same manufacturer, but it DOES have to match the size and speed of the chip you now have.

Other World Computing has always been a good source for me, but there are certainly others. You might check DealTime to get a good online price.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Other World Computing has always been a good source for me, but there are certainly others. You might check DealTime to get a good online price.
I just bought three gigs of RAM from OWC (2 for the G5 and 1 for the PB) and it arrived really fast and the service was excellent. I went with the Samsung RAM, which is the same RAM sticks that Apple uses for like half the price.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

gearboy wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Other World Computing has always been a good source for me, but there are certainly others. You might check DealTime to get a good online price.
I just bought three gigs of RAM from OWC (2 for the G5 and 1 for the PB) and it arrived really fast and the service was excellent. I went with the Samsung RAM, which is the same RAM sticks that Apple uses for like half the price.

Jeff
Good call. I bought some OWC RAM a few months ago and it works fine, but I always went with their 'name brands' in the past. Frankly, I can't tell the difference. :) Be sure to check you ABOUT THIS MAC and make sure it is all showing up. Apparently, I didn't seat one stick correctly and it only showed 1/2 the RAM until I fixed that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nick danger »

I second OWC for ram-- just added a gig to my G5 iMac, and it works fine-- just wish I could have afforded the 2 gig at the time.

I've had good luck with their firewire hard drives, too.