uninstalling everything to start clean... HELP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
msandman02
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

uninstalling everything to start clean... HELP

Post by msandman02 »

basically i just need to know how to start from scratch again. i need to get rid of everything to do with the MOTU 8 pre on my computer and pretend i never tried to install it before...

i got the 8 pre, i installed before connecting like instructed but then i followed the plug and play driver installs like i wasn't supposed to, whoops. so the drivers weren't installed correctly or somehting when i looked in device manager. then i just went into each drivers properties and uninstalled them.

couldn't figure out how to uninstall anything other than the drivers in device manager.

so now whenever try to run the MOTU firewire/usb installer ("installing MOTU FireWire/USB Audio Installer") it stops going right after its done installing the 5 MOTU drivers and just sits there with the progress bar at like 99%. it only goes away if i go in and end the msiexec.exe processes. If i end the "runhf.exe" or any other "__hf.exe" process this error pops up:

-There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
then it tells me the installer was interrupted bla bal, restart installer.

same thing every time. so i'm assuming theres just old stuff clogging the drain, so to say, whenever i try to re-install it.

help if you can, thanks :(

random info:

when i restart windows asks me to end process: extracting files (thought maybe i was just impatient and the installer was really working when i thought it wasn't but that's not the case cause it worked the first time is less time than i waited the past 99893 tries)

after i got through the install the first time i got to go into cuemix and motu audio setup and stuff.
emmrecs
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by emmrecs »

Apparently you're running XP? Have you got a recent System Restore point you could revert to, one created prior to the attempted install of the MOTU drivers?

That's about all I can suggest.

HTH
msandman02

Post by msandman02 »

yes, i restored my computer to before i ever tried setting up the MOTU and STILL the same result... the motu hardware install freezes after installing the 5 drivers.
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

I would be tempted to try something quite drastic!

1. Create a System Restore point before you begin.
2. Uninstall the MOTU drivers (I presume you can still do this, via Device Manager, or even Add/Remove Programs?)
3. You will quite likely have a MOTU folder inside your Program Files folder. Delete it.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. If you have any sort of Registry Editor/Repair software, run it now. Allow it to remove any entries pertaining to MOTU, or you could use Regedit and manually go through your registry removing any reference to MOTU, assuming you have no other MOTU software installed.
6. Reboot the computer.
7. Run the MOTU installer. The latest version is called (I think) "FW32" (for 32-bit Win).
8. Connect the 8-Pre and allow the proper installation of the drivers to happen.

With any luck this should cure your problem, I hope. If it does not you have the System Restore point to at worst return your computer to where you were before you started!!
msandman02

Post by msandman02 »

thanks, i'll try that when i get home from work. i haven't cleaned up the registry yet so maybe that will help.

any other suggestions???
emmrecs

Post by emmrecs »

Sorry, nothing else comes to mind.

I deliberately didn't say anything about how to access regedit, cos if you're not sure how to do this my recommendation would be DON'T TRY. If you're happy to make changes to your registry, remembering that one wrong move could be fatal for your computer, then I wish you every success in your attempt to fully complete this installation.
msandman02

Post by msandman02 »

ok so i went in regedit manually and deleted anything i was positive was put there by motu. then i downloaded registry mechanic and scanned and there were a bunch of files having to do with motu so i repaired all of that and rescanned and it was all clean.

then i searched for "motu" on my computer and deleted everything that came up (like in windows and system32 and drivers folders etc.)

so i would think that my computer was completely rid of all motu evidence. then i rebooted, left the motu unplugged and ran the software install(using the cd that came with the 8pre) and it told me that i had interrupted the previous install attempt and that it would continue from that point :x

needless to say the problem remains.

if anyone has any possible other fixes let me know otherwise i'll just have to give techsupport a call. thanks
msandman02

Post by msandman02 »

ok, so i just said forget about the motu software install for now and just did the windows plug and play and installed all the drivers that way. it works fine for Reason 3 but i'm not sure Sonar will be ok.

I'm still looking for more suggestions so keep em coming. I'll be out of town till Saturday the 31st and i expect 5 billion replies. Thanks
Guitarmuzic

reformat

Post by Guitarmuzic »

A drastic solution would be to back up all your files and reformat your hard drive, reload the operating system and all your software. This is a pain and takes a few hours, but then you have a clean slate and things should be operating the best after a fresh reformat. This is time consuming if you have a lot of programs to load and have to tweak xp for music production, etc. Therefore, it may not be the best solution for you, but it would at least solve your problem.
msandman02

Post by msandman02 »

ok so just incase anyone has this problem i figured it out. it ended up being a problem with the different languages...

when the motu installer would freeze i would look in the running processes (ctl alt del) and there were 2 that i never saw before... runhf.exe and umm like phb_hf.exe or something like that.

so i left runhf.exe alone and ended the other one and when i ended it, another one would pop up, except different letters like ITA_hf.exe. and one after another would keep coming when i would end the previous. i realized that they were language abbreviations. so i kept ending them, probably like 15 or so, and FINALLY the installer said that it finished and i should restart.

then when i restarted, the installer popped up again to complete the install and the same thing happened so i had to go into the processes and end all the "hf"s except for "runhf.exe" and again the installer finished. and all was good.

thanks for your suggestions :)
tomk358

Holy cow!

Post by tomk358 »

I've been racking my brain to solve the same problem, it FINALLY has installed, now I have to test and see if my 828mkII will work without glitches. Crossing fingers, and thanking you profusely.

thankyouthankyou..etc.

-Tom