Anyone using MSI w/ a Firepod?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

CombatWombat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone using MSI w/ a Firepod?

Post by CombatWombat »

I am using MSI on a PC with a Firepod and am experiencing pops and clicks upon playback after recording in Cubase. I think the problem most likely lies w/ the firepod, but I am getting nowhere with their support so I am coming here to see if others have had this same issue and if if/how you solved it.

Thanks for any of your input!

Tyler
Hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4| 2GB RAM| Presonus Firepod| Cubase 4.0.2| MOTU Symphonic Instrument 1.1.3|
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Wow. Nobody?
Hyperthreaded 2.8GHz P4| 2GB RAM| Presonus Firepod| Cubase 4.0.2| MOTU Symphonic Instrument 1.1.3|
dvfedele

possible firewire problem

Post by dvfedele »

I've read much about MOTU hardware being rather picky about the firewire chipset you have...MOTU products work the best when using a firewire card with a Texas Instruments (TI) chipsets. Check out Belkin and Adaptec firewire cards...there is also a card at sweetwater that one of their sales associates guarantees will work with MOTU products.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FWCardPCI/

I also have an MSI board and if you're using the onboard (motherboard) firewire port the chipset used is a VIA chipset :x which people agree is the cause for pops/clicks/trouble. Good luck! :D
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Hi dvfedele, thanks for the reply, but I think we have a misunderstanding. I don't have any motu hardware. I have MOTU Symphonic Instrument and my hardware is a Presonus Firepod.

Either way, I have tried using the firewire card that Presonus suggests for their interfaces and it did not solve the problem. Also, this is the only plug-in that I have this problem with (Though it's also the only 3rd party plug-in that I have to test with. The problem does not occur with the VIs that came with Cubase 4.)

HOWEVER, when I switch the playback of the MIDI track I've recorded using MSI to my internal soundcard, the problem goes away! This is why I'm so confused and cannot tell where the problem really lies.

Sidenote: bouncing to audio does not fix the problem.

Any help you can offer? I'd be eternally greatful as I'm a poor college student without the resources to fix this problem with more money. :lol:
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Can anyone else offer help? :)
CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Anybody at all???