laptop DVD player corrupted my DAT file!!!

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

vbluguitar
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

laptop DVD player corrupted my DAT file!!!

Post by vbluguitar »

Maybe this will help someone out so I am posting this. Today I purchased Motu Symphonic Instruments from Guitar Center and after 3 hours of frustrations, I may finally be getting it to work. Lets go back to the start.

I unwrapped the box with the 1.1.1 version sticker on it and the 1.1 upgrade manual in it and followed the directions to the tee. I installed my DAT file in a folder called c:/motudat and then put in the CD and installed the app and the I-Lok drivers. OK, so were is the standalone app? On closer inspection of the CD - The one that came in the SEALED SHRINK WRAPPED BOX from Guitar center - the same one with the version 1.1.1 sticker on it - low and behold, the executable is version 1, not 1.1.1. No information on the need to download the upgrade was included at all. Now for you and I, the upper tier PC guys who know our stuff, no big deal... but for all the guys who wouldn't figure that out on their own, I feel sorry. Shame on Motu. Why bother with all the stickers and crap if you ain't gonna include the disk with the upgrade!!!???

OK, back off my high horse and on to the next problem. I go into Sonar and run version 1... no sound, but thats OK, I will just upgrade. 1.1.2 gets installed per directions, and now the standalone product is on my desktop... cool, but wait... I open it and suprise - no sounds show up... can't load this can't load that blah blah blah...

A quick run to the restroom and now its time to surf for some answers. The solution is easy enough, move the DAT file to the same folder as the main Dll file. In doing so I notice something odd, but think little of it. The files size is 2 gigs. I thought this thing was supposed to be 8 gigs? Oh well maybe they just do a bang up job of compression!

Once the file is moved over I try to fire up MSI again... This time it crashes... Ugh. so more surfing is required. I end up at this forum hoping that I would see lots of people with this problem... Nobody has this problem. Darn... 2 gigs - that sure is some good compression... hold on a minute, lets try something different.

I grab the DVD and run upstairs to my regular Home PC an low and behold. 7.86 gigs!!! That sounds more like it.

So there are two morals to this story
1. It doesn't matter what the box says, its version 1 and you need to download the latest version
2. If the files isn't 8 gigs, then your DVD player isn't reading it properly
vbluguitar

Post by vbluguitar »

OK further update. Version 1.1.2 still doesn't work, and vesion 1.0 works in Sonar 5 - barely, I can hear the samples anyway. But they sure don't sound good- Core 2 Duo 6400 - 1 gig of RAM - 320 gig SATA 3.0 HDD. This software might become an ebay sale shortly. I am very dissapointed!
vbluguitar

Post by vbluguitar »

Tech had me download 1.1.3. Now everything works. I am not exactly happy with the way it works in Sonar though. I am going to have to find another sequencer. Any recommendations. I like Reason's sequencer alot. Simple and straight forward. Any Cubase users?