Our studio pet having his lunch

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Hey, Gary.

These critters like to make themselves at home in our homes.
They sit in plain view most of the time, seemingly aware that they're not in danger.
You can walk by 'em, sit by 'em, yell at 'em etc. and they won't budge.
There's usually at least a pair in da house.

They seem to eat anything that moves and is able to be caught.
I've noticed mine have caught crickets (indoors!) of late, along with cockies and the usual suspects.
Like the wolf spider, which we also have, they're hunters - no webs.
Guess that's why they calll 'em Huntsmen.

Cheers, bud, and remember: no monthly peyote treatments when these suckas are in da house.
At least, not if you value your heart/life/sanity or blood pressure.:lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

No idea. My avatar is as far as I've been able to go.
Even if I had the know-how, none of my imageshack registration efforts has worked.

Cool pic, Josh; thanks.
That's no poodle; much closer to a wolf. Yay!

BTW you can get a dingo, coyote, fox, dog etc from a wolf, but you'll never breed a wolf from any of the others; they've all lost too much genetic info.
Sorry; ya'll are probably all over this one and have it licked. :lol:

jgest

Post by jgest »

monkey man wrote: Cheers, bud, and remember: no monthly peyote treatments when these suckas are in da house.
:lol: :lol:

I need a good refreshing one of those......tea daze :oops:
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgest

Post by jgest »

monkey man wrote:No idea. My avatar is as far as I've been able to go.
Even if I had the know-how, none of my imageshack registration efforts has worked.

Cool pic, Josh; thanks.
That's no poodle; much closer to a wolf. Yay!

BTW you can get a dingo, coyote, fox, dog etc from a wolf, but you'll never breed a wolf from any of the others; they've all lost too much genetic info.
Sorry; ya'll are probably all over this one and have it licked. :lol:
forgive my utter ignorance, but are there wolves down under?
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

monkey man wrote:Hey, Gary.

These critters like to make themselves at home in our homes.
They sit in plain view most of the time, seemingly aware that they're not in danger.
You can walk by 'em, sit by 'em, yell at 'em etc. and they won't budge.
There's usually at least a pair in da house.

They seem to eat anything that moves and is able to be caught.
I've noticed mine have caught crickets (indoors!) of late, along with cockies and the usual suspects.
Like the wolf spider, which we also have, they're hunters - no webs.
Guess that's why they calll 'em Huntsmen.

Cheers, bud, and remember: no monthly peyote treatments when these suckas are in da house.
How cool. I would love to give one to my kid to keep at the x wifes house. She's totally afraid of spiders and one like that would cause some amusing scenes. hehe :)

Can you ship a few over?
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

Timeline wrote:Hmmm. So if he doesn't aaaa... YOU, what does he eat and do you feed him/her/it?
Anything he wants!
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

jgest wrote:forgive my utter ignorance, but are there wolves down under?
Not any more. The Hunties cleaned them up long ago. The Sydney Huntsmen is affectionately known in zoological circles as 'The Arachnid Piranha'. A pack of Sydney Hunties has been known to strip a fully grown timber wolf in less than a minute. Once these babies lock onto your quivering flesh......

"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

aaaa on second thought, nevermind!
jgest

Post by jgest »

chamelion wrote:
Not any more. The Hunties cleaned them up long ago. The Sydney Huntsmen is affectionately known in zoological circles as 'The Arachnid Piranha'. A pack of Sydney Hunties has been known to strip a fully grown timber wolf in less than a minute. Once these babies lock onto your quivering flesh......

:shock: :shock: :shock: spiders can eat a wolf in less than a minute?
jgest

Post by jgest »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I fell for that for a minute.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Ok l let me see, you feed poodles to spiders down under? Monkey grows pot plants and use spiders to keep away the pot stealing thieves? Do you smoke the pot plants with or with out spiders? :shock:
I saw an old sci-fi movie where radiation made giant spiders.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

chamelion wrote:
You're in form, Geoff; I absolutely pissed myself reading this. :lol:

Has anyone been able to capture this on film yet?
I've heard they set up an opportunity at the Taronga Zoo and filmed a 2 minute, 35mm masterpiece.
Only problem was that the critters sensed they were being exploited and ate the crew for their main course. :shock:

Thanks for the pic. Are these Cedric's fangs as requested?
I wonder how the arachnophobic Unicorns are coping.
That shot should come with a health warning. :D
jgest wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
I fell for that for a minute.
Classic Aussie-humour vernacular.
We've some dangerous wildlife, so I suppose you'd expect that tall encounter tales would feature somewhere.
We call it a yarn.

Geoff's in form tonight. :D

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

twistedtom wrote:Ok l let me see, you feed poodles to spiders down under?
Yup. Wolf spiders love 'em.
twistedtom wrote: Monkey grows pot plants and use spiders to keep away the pot stealing thieves?
Yup. We've got giant caterpillars, too, and they'll mow your favourite sins to the ground in 30 seconds.
They've been known to transform 30ft elm trees into piles of poo in 30 minutes.
It does take 3 or 4 of them to get the job done quickly, but still, it's kinda impressive.
The jumpers must eat them within 24 hours of hatching, else they're too big.
You should see the moths. 15" nose to tail, and they gather around my outside light by the back door.
I shew 'em away with a broom 'cause just one of 'em lays 5-10 000 eggs.

BTW, when they're done they don't spin cocoons, they spin yarns. :lol:
twistedtom wrote: Do you smoke the pot plants with or with out spiders? :shock:
Well, you just place the new plants next to the old and gesture from the opposite direction with your hand.
The simply jump onto their new home.
As a bonus, there're no webs to contend with.
Still, if you want bud with teeth, there's that option too. :lol:

Have you heard about how big the bud grows down under, bud?
I'll let Geoff tell ya; he's no doubt travelled this great land more than I. :wink:
twistedtom wrote:I saw an old sci-fi movie where radiation made giant spiders.
Well, we've the world's largest ozone hole.
Guess they've mutated somewhat.

Then there's that Aussie manliness to contend with (the ocker), so they grew larger cojones too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocker

Geoff, can you take a shot of Cedric's cojones? :lol:

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks for the info. I've searched Google for the Sydney Huntsman, and found an enormous amount of information about it. Well, actually a lot of pages saying basically the same information. But it was interesting stuff.

We have tarantulas here, of course, and at our Oklahoma ranch they're quite common. Those big guys get up to about 5 inches across, though they could stretch farther if they wanted to. Furry enough to qualify as a pet. Hmm... that MAY be why we don't have wolves up there. But we have coyotes and foxes. Maybe the spiders only go after the big dogs. ;)

Used to have prairie dogs up there. Now, THOSE were interesting animals. A whole pasture might have been a prairie dog town, and their holes were dangerous to livestock who could break a leg falling into one while running. But I don't want to change the subject away from spiders. I swear, however, that the tarantula population has increased since the prairie dogs were driven away (not by us). I wonder if the prairie dogs ate them, or otherwise killed them?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

`
Perhaps they ate the flies and other insects that were attracted to their poo, Shoosh?

I've eaten these critters as they've been in abundant supply due to my poo-flinging.
Just like adding a turbo to a motor, they've delivered second-hand nutrition to the apester.

OK, so I just flung some more. What's new?