Anyone have the Ultralite working with Vista Ultimate 64?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
awatters
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Anyone have the Ultralite working with Vista Ultimate 64?

Post by awatters »

Anyone have the Ultralite working (without firewire problems) with Vista Ultimate 64?

Anyone had any success with anything more than 2 GB ram?

If so, how did you do it?
awatters

Post by awatters »

wow - 1 month already and no replies - no MOTU & Vista users out there? What about the big splash on the MOTU homepage about vista drivers? You'd think someone out there would have had an experience with this already? (since the drivers have been out for some time now)
hookthecaptain

Post by hookthecaptain »

i'm using vista 64 bit ultimate with an 828 mkii. I'm getting sound from the unit but its still choppy and glitchy.

Haven't been able to resolve it yet.

I tried installing the 64 bit vista drivers from the Motu site dated 1/07 and I am getting sound from the unit however it is really glitchy and choppy and does not appear to be working correctly.

I feel like the problem is either with the driver or with the OS, as it works perfectly under the XP environment off my other hardrive.

The drivers seem to install correctly and Vista recognizes the hardware and installs the drivers properly when the system powers on and off.

the Motu unit is running firmware 1.01

I am running
EVGA Nforce 680i Motherboard
Core Duo E6600
4 Gigs Ram
2 Sata Harddrives, 2 EIDE Hardrives
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS

Not really sure how solid the 64 bit drivers are.
thanasonic

motu 828 MKII and Vista

Post by thanasonic »

Same here... I'm running Vista 32bit + motu 828 MKII.

My configuration was working perfectly with Windows XP (not a single hitch).

But what happens now ?
In Cubase i have perfect sound (ASIO) without glitches. Nevertheless, the WDM driver for windows is problematic.

This means ofcourse that i cannot enjoy ANY windows application with sound even if it is a game or Winamp,Media Player. Same problems as hookthecaptain said...

I am not willing to go back to XP since Vista is the stantard OS for pcs right now. MOTU should really do something so we will have the soundcard working flawless in Vista.

What i will do is to write an email to all music technology magazines (SoundOnSound,Computer Music and others) and complain about the issue. If MOTU doesn't seem to respond when you send them email or you call them personally, then this is the only way i can get a reply or "WAKE UP" those windows programmers that they hire to program drivers...
thanasonic

Post by thanasonic »

I have allready sent message to SoundOnSound Magazine and i'm waiting for their reply 8)
hookthecaptain

Post by hookthecaptain »

sounds good. If you come across any sort of workaround, let me know.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Windows Vista is NOT the standard for the PC OS right now, it's a new OS... WindowsXP is still the standard, especially when it comes to audio. Manufacturers can write drivers all they want, but it takes numerous products to have drivers before compatability can be worked out. Remember, you're relying on various hardware that not only have to communicate with the computer--but with each other. Upgrading to Windows 64-bit or ANY version of VISTA at this point or for the next several months is absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED. The rule of thumb is usually 12-18 months after an OS is released, sorry--that's reality if you want a reliable and working system. :(
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

BradLyons wrote:Windows Vista is NOT the standard for the PC OS right now, it's a new OS... WindowsXP is still the standard, especially when it comes to audio. Manufacturers can write drivers all they want, but it takes numerous products to have drivers before compatability can be worked out. Remember, you're relying on various hardware that not only have to communicate with the computer--but with each other. Upgrading to Windows 64-bit or ANY version of VISTA at this point or for the next several months is absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED. The rule of thumb is usually 12-18 months after an OS is released, sorry--that's reality if you want a reliable and working system. :(
I agree with this in principle -- I develop software professionally and dabble with audio. There are distinct business reasons why I choose Vista now; unfortunately my Ultralight doesn't really work on it. If you are an audio professional, a more cautious approach is mandated.

That said, if there are problems with the MOTU products on Windows Vista then MOTU needs to own that. More generally if there are audio problems on Windows Vista then all hardware vendors need to be clear about this:

For example: Our product may not function on Vista yet. We are actively working with Microsoft and other hardware vendors to ensure compatibility. Until the time when we can confirm the general compatibility of our product on Windows Vista (and the customer support incidents related to Vista are resolved), we will keep our Vista drivers in Beta.

Certainly this sounds naive, but MOTU posted Vista drivers. Nobody made them do this. They should work on the OS or the drivers shouldn't have been posted.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

Remember, the OS is just the operating system--the operating system is only as good as the computer its on. With a new OS, it's impossible to know the stability of everything--it's new, bugs will happen because of the new operating system--it takes time. So my advice is this...don't upgrade :-) Manufacturers, such as MOTU, are in a bind.... if they support it ASAP, they will be plagued with BUGS and then get blamed that it just doesn't work right. If they don't support it immediately, then they get blamed for being behind... so again my advice is, don't ugprade immediately! :-)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

BradLyons wrote:... so again my advice is, don't ugprade immediately! :-)
. . . and this is good advice.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
hookthecaptain

Post by hookthecaptain »

Well, I for one have upgraded cautiously, maintaining a seperate partition/hardrive for XP.

While I anticipate delays until better drivers for Vista are created, I still would like to dabble around with the new OS and am looking forward to getting things going with it. Obviously, I can wait for revised drivers, assuming they are under development.

However, I don't think it unreasonable for motu to provide working driver's within the next six months. Especially as they are currently advertising compatible drivers.

That being said, I am still curious if anyone at all has been able to make the units work with vista 64 and if so.. how.
Iomegaman

Post by Iomegaman »

I am currently running a MOTU Ultralite in Vista 64 with no "real" issues.

Works wonderfully, I even have a Behringer BCF 2000 working in unison as a control surface via the ultralite MIDI.

That being said I have not been able to use the ASIO drivers in the Ultralite whenever I select "ASIO" in my driver profile the MOTU select boxes all get "grayed" out implying it is not available.

Sonar 6 on a Dualcore Athlon by the way.

ALL 64 BIT OS, APP, and DRIVERS.

I think the average enthusiast might want to wait a bit but if your adventurous and know a little about how hardware and software plays together then there is no reason not to try.

I had my system up and running in about an hour, even with other soundcard hardware in place.

By the way this machine smokes and sounds incredible.

I have finally gotten away from that cold digital sound so familiar with all things daw.
RJH_MUSIC
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite Vista 64

Post by RJH_MUSIC »

Well, I guess I should have read this post before I spent $2,500 on new VISTA 64 Laptop, and another $500 on the Ultralite when my Kore Controller would not work. I have same problem with one twist. I cannot get the unit to work at all, an the MIDI outport won't function either. I get the same deal, driver and software loads fine and recognizes th hardware when it is powered up, but that is it.

I guess the thing that burns my A#@, is that MOTU did post drivers for VISTA 64, and based on that I bought the unit. A company should not post a product and state that it will work if it won't. I guess I should have known, because as a matter of history, MOTU has nver gotten any of their drivers right on the first or even second or third try. I waited 4 years to get a stable MTPAV driver that would not drop out MIDI. To think that I was actually impressed when the driver load went wothout a hitch.

I am considereing starting with a clean hard disk and loading WIN XP Pro, until more VISTA compatible drivers are released.

HP ZD9500T VISTA 64, 4 Gig Ram, 2.2 Hrtz Intel core 2 duo, 1 Gig Nividia 8600M Video running to dual sreen 19" wide, 2 7200 RPM 100 Gig Hard drives. This is why I bought the thing in the first place.

Cubase SX3, Cubase 4.02, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, EWQL Voices of Passion, Giovani Edition, Melodyne Studio 3, DIVA, Halion 3, Virtual Guitarist, Grove Machine 2, FXPansion BFD (All), Kontact 2, Kore 1.

The audio as you can see is important to me. I am going to try one other thing. I heard that the WDM driver is problematic, so I am going to de-install it and Ultralite and try again.

RJ
Hard2Hear
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Hard2Hear »

In my Vista test systems with 828's WDM drivers way outperform ASIO drivers. Especially after applying the new MS patch for Intel processors.
dj jones

Post by dj jones »

what happens to all the guys that need to get some damn flipping work done and doesnt have a card not 1 card or company that can make a decent driver for there product. im sure these companies didnt wake up one day and find out that vista has arrived. im have a m audio delta 1010lt i wanna get a motu traveler now im having doubts of purchasing one because it might not even work on vista. here im stuck with a vista computer that allows me to run multiple plugins and hugh projects and i cant get a good card or interface to run my monitors. its bad :evil: