BT's studio stolen

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
thracks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BT's studio stolen

Post by thracks »

I just came across what looked like an ad in the March '07 issue of Keyboard Magazine. It turn out it's a full page plea from BT to get his gear back. Apparently he was robbed while he was out of the country. It's really unbelievable. Looks like he lost a lot of his new album, since he had no off site backups. Read about it here.....

http://www.btmusic.com/
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

That's horrible --- He was hit in 2001 too -- I remember reading an interview w him in Keyboard and he had been cleaned out!
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

A heads up: When I open BT's site on a WinPC laptop, I get a virus block warning via Mcafee.

That guy's combating all sorts of bad mojo, I guess.
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

Oh man..this is really unfortunate. I'm such a big fan of BT's work, especially the TBU stuff. The robbers don't know what they've done, it's not the gear they have, it's the TBU live material etc. that at least for me carries some of the best music man has ever created.

I really hope the plea will get people thinking and something positive will come out of it.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Dang. Poor bloke. Seems to be in the air, this nonsense.

I've got folks casing this house every day/night at the mo'.
The local newspaper's full of warnings and mock-up identicate 'photos.
I've had dealings with at least one of the losers in that I've said hello 7 or 8 times.
He looks away and avoids me like the plague.
I believe he's responsible for flashing my 70-year-old neighbour and bashing another local lady.
Seems he robs houses as part of a trio.
I only leave during the day, and stay up all night, as it's just I in da house.

Seems like spineless dishonesty's on the rise.
Poor BT. I feel for the guy. Such a nice fella, too. :cry:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jgest

Post by jgest »

monkey man wrote:Dang. Poor bloke. Seems to be in the air, this nonsense.

I've got folks casing this house every day/night at the mo'.
The local newspaper's full of warnings and mock-up identicate 'photos.
I've had dealings with at least one of the losers in that I've said hello 7 or 8 times.
He looks away and avoids me like the plague.
I believe he's responsible for flashing my 70-year-old neighbour and bashing another local lady.
Seems he robs houses as part of a trio.
I only leave during the day, and stay up all night, as it's just I in da house.

Seems like spineless dishonesty's on the rise.
Poor BT. I feel for the guy. Such a nice fella, too. :cry:
It there a methamphetamine crisis down under like there is here in the USA making stupid people do even dumber things? I see these people all the time around here, the local papers are ridden with these induced crimes, violence :cry: These synthetic chemicals are just not the same as the organic ones they realy make you go crazy!
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

jgest wrote:It there a methamphetamine crisis down under like there is here in the USA making stupid people do even dumber things? I see these people all the time around here, the local papers are ridden with these induced crimes, violence :cry:
Yup. It's fast on the rise down under.
I've been going to bed at daybreak 'cause there's at least one of these low-lifes casing the house.
He cruises past at all hours on a "mini-bike" (illegally) on the local bike (walking, etc) track 10 metres from my lounge room and music room.
He slows to a crawl and when he realises there's someone home and awake, he speeds off.
I've seen his "picture" in the local paper and he's flashed my 70 year old neighbour and assaulted at least 2 women.
I've greeted him at least five times on the same day, and he's never acknowledged me; he just looks away and steers 20 metres around me.

Spineless critter.
jgest wrote:These synthetic chemicals are just not the same as the organic ones they realy make you go crazy!
You know my mantra by now; if you combine that lack of foundations with these new-fangled chemicals, well. :roll:
Someone should hand each one of them a mellow joint and send 'em off to church or to do community work or something.
Their parents oughta get a spankin' too, methinks. :lol:

That sermon I gave regarding the differences between plant-formed and synthetic substances' effects on the body apply here too, of course.
Metallic minerals (rocks) and synthetics such as meth are truly foreign to the "language" of the body.
I like to imagine that first life form that "emerged (!)" from the primordial soup:

What did it eat? All animal life first requires plants to convert the "rocks" to the colloidal forms we all need and to supply high-quality water and enzymes, etc., this being the most macro and obvious symbiosis. It involves all animal life, and is so prevalent... no one seems to have noticed. Anyway, that'd be a neat trick. :wink:

If a plant "emerged" first, somewhere along the line it became an animal. Another neat trick. :wink:

Whichever "emerged" first would have had to find a "mate". Better than a Whodini job. :wink:

Last trick: Isn't it lucky for us that the only substance that can use the sun's energy (and not be destroyed by it), including the most sophisticated materials and machines science has to offer, happens to be chlorophyll, the most nutritious food available anywhere?

I could go on; suffice it to say the effects of breaking this "golden symbiosis" are always negative, their severity being roughly proportional to the complexity of the synthetics and the extent to which plant-matter is abandoned.
The "smarter" we get at constructing these things and the more creative their use, the greater the degree of tissue and genetic damage, the more of it is initially unseen, the more unpredictable the resulting behaviour will be and the more likely a manifestation of cancer becomes.

Food(!) for thought?

Hey, Josh, this is so typical of you and me; we're off on our fruity-hippy tangent again, this time in the wrong thread. :oops:
We should be safe though, living at UnicorNation, home of the fleas and land of the somehow-always-kosher tangents. :lol:

Scratch... scratch... :lol:

jgest

Post by jgest »

monkey man wrote:
jgest wrote:It there a methamphetamine crisis down under like there is here in the USA making stupid people do even dumber things? I see these people all the time around here, the local papers are ridden with these induced crimes, violence :cry:
Yup. It's fast on the rise down under.
I've been going to bed at daybreak 'cause there's at least one of these low-lifes casing the house.
He cruises past at all hours on a "mini-bike" (illegally) on the local bike (walking, etc) track 10 metres from my lounge room and music room.
He slows to a crawl and when he realises there's someone home and awake, he speeds off.
I've seen his "picture" in the local paper and he's flashed my 70 year old neighbour and assaulted at least 2 women.
I've greeted him at least five times on the same day, and he's never acknowledged me; he just looks away and steers 20 metres around me.

Spineless critter.
jgest wrote:These synthetic chemicals are just not the same as the organic ones they realy make you go crazy!
You know my mantra by now; if you combine that lack of foundations with these new-fangled chemicals, well. :roll:
Someone should hand each one of them a mellow joint and send 'em off to church or to do community work or something.
Their parents oughta get a spankin' too, methinks. :lol:

That sermon I gave regarding the differences between plant-formed and synthetic substances' effects on the body apply here too, of course.
Metallic minerals (rocks) and synthetics such as meth are truly foreign to the "language" of the body.
I like to imagine that first life form that "emerged (!)" from the primordial soup:

What did it eat? All animal life first requires plants to convert the "rocks" to the colloidal forms we all need and to supply high-quality water and enzymes, etc., this being the most macro and obvious symbiosis. It involves all animal life, and is so prevalent... no one seems to have noticed. Anyway, that'd be a neat trick. :wink:

If a plant "emerged" first, somewhere along the line it became an animal. Another neat trick. :wink:

Whichever "emerged" first would have had to find a "mate". Better than a Whodini job. :wink:

Last trick: Isn't it lucky for us that the only substance that can use the sun's energy (and not be destroyed by it), including the most sophisticated materials and machines science has to offer, happens to be chlorophyll, the most nutritious food available anywhere?

I could go on; suffice it to say the effects of breaking this "golden symbiosis" are always negative, their severity being roughly proportional to the complexity of the synthetics and the extent to which plant-matter is abandoned.
The "smarter" we get at constructing these things and the more creative their use, the greater the degree of tissue and genetic damage, the more of it is initially unseen, the more unpredictable the resulting behaviour will be and the more likely a manifestation of cancer becomes.

Food(!) for thought?

Hey, Josh, this is so typical of you and me; we're off on our fruity-hippy tangent again, this time in the wrong thread. :oops:
We should be safe though, living at UnicorNation, home of the fleas and land of the somehow-always-kosher tangents. :lol:

Scratch... scratch... :lol:
You know it's funny, I am pacifist at heart. I don't "believe" in militaries (unless one MUST defend themselves), but as I see us loosing the war on drugs, I almost feel that people (in the us, most other countries do this) should spend 2 years of there lives after high school in a peace core/national guard type of thing working on domestic, infastructure, park, environmental projects to learn the value of 1) self esteem/worth. 2)community involvement. 3) mandatory activity (physical) to attempt to tame the MASSIVE addiction issues we are facing. The USA is seriously Loosing the war on drugs (oxymoron).

Funny speaking of chlorophyll about 10 years ago I stopped using lettuce in salads and began substituting kale, cilantro, parsley(ironically a very high amino acid food) and kale as my base instead of the lettuce. The kale (obviously) parsley and cilantro are quite high in chlorophyll. Also about 10 years ago I stopped taking supplements because I believe (as well as the scientific evidence proves) that the bio absorption is quite poor due to the lack of complementary enzymes. Even for things like chlorophyll. Am i wrong?

I must admit, I love these tangets. I actually live for them, besides my kids and my pathetic attempts to stay musically inspired ( I do have a whole new batch of tunes that have been SLOWLY coming about in reason/abelton until I can find a facility to make some real noise and port them into DP) I am quite "issolated" thse days as a stay at home dad and have minimal intellectual contact.
:oops: I'd go as far a stating that your one of my favorite "friends" to have some socratic discourse. I really appreciate this sh*t, i realy do!
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

jgest wrote:You know it's funny, I am pacifist at heart. I don't "believe" in militaries (unless one MUST defend themselves), but as I see us loosing the war on drugs, I almost feel that people (in the us, most other countries do this) should spend 2 years of there lives after high school in a peace core/national guard type of thing working on domestic, infastructure, park, environmental projects to learn the value of 1) self esteem/worth. 2)community involvement. 3) mandatory activity (physical) to attempt to tame the MASSIVE addiction issues we are facing. The USA is seriously Loosing the war on drugs (oxymoron).
Agreed, as usual.
It might also help if we didn't teach them they're animals, and that right and wrong aren't relative.
As you'd know, Josh, there are absolutes and the truth is out there. :wink:
jgest wrote:Funny speaking of chlorophyll about 10 years ago I stopped using lettuce in salads and began substituting kale, cilantro, parsley(ironically a very high amino acid food) and kale as my base instead of the lettuce. The kale (obviously) parsley and cilantro are quite high in chlorophyll. Also about 10 years ago I stopped taking supplements because I believe (as well as the scientific evidence proves) that the bio absorption is quite poor due to the lack of complementary enzymes. Even for things like chlorophyll. Am i wrong?
You ain't wrong IMHO.
This was my point; the precision, complexity and synergies of raw plant-food are complex beyond our understanding.
The more one deviates from the natural, whole product, well.
Of course, processed vege-matter is still an order of magnitude better than inorganic (rock-form) or synthesised stuff.

I love the way blind-chance is supposed to have built chlorophyll, the most complex molecule known to man and the only substance that utilises the sun's energy whilst sustaining zero damage. :lol:
jgest wrote:I must admit, I love these tangets. I actually live for them, besides my kids and my pathetic attempts to stay musically inspired...
I just wish I could type faster. :lol:
jgest wrote:( I do have a whole new batch of tunes that have been SLOWLY coming about in reason/abelton until I can find a facility to make some real noise and port them into DP) I am quite "issolated" thse days as a stay at home dad and have minimal intellectual contact.
Same here, except I don't even have kids to lock horns with! :cry:
Perhaps if the government lets me breed one day... :lol:
jgest wrote: :oops: I'd go as far a stating that your one of my favorite "friends" to have some socratic discourse. I really appreciate this sh*t, i realy do!
Come, now; you'll give the monkey a big head, and there's nothing worse than a cocky monkey.
OK, maybe two cocky monkeys.

Thanks, man. Your appreciation means an awful lot to me; I've been casting pearls like, well, a pearl-caster, for decades for little return.
You are indeed a rare one, Virgo-boy! :wink:

Cheers, J-man.
Nicky

arth

Post by arth »

emulatorloo wrote:That's horrible --- He was hit in 2001 too -- I remember reading an interview w him in Keyboard and he had been cleaned out!
My guess is that his insurance company will think "Fool me once, shame on you...", and be reluctant to pay out this time unless there's some solid evidence that it really was a burglary done by an outside part.

Cynical, me?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Cynical? Possibly, arth.

There's a possibility the insurance company's proud to have him as a client.
They may wear just about anything he cops(!), just to be able to say, "We insure Brian's gear".

Lastly, there's that $20 000 USD reward he's offering.
It'd be an expensive scam if it was (a scam!).

Cheers
Nicky

jgest

Post by jgest »

monkey man wrote:Cynical? Possibly, arth.

There's a possibility the insurance company's proud to have him as a client.
They may wear just about anything he cops(!), just to be able to say, "We insure Brian's gear".

Lastly, there's that $20 000 USD reward he's offering.
It'd be an expensive scam if it was (a scam!).

Cheers
Nicky
I'd have to agree with you.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i've seen bits of his studio in interviews, etc, and the thing that makes it hardly surprising is that a lot of his room is glass walls to the outdoors. it's such a shame that this sort of thing happens. the thief probably has no idea what they even have...for all we know, it all could've been formatted already.
i guess it's a hard lesson, but if you're a professional...what if your place burns down? offsite backup (even just dvd's in a safe deposit box) would be a route i'd persue before the FIRST time i lost everything, especially at the completion of a project.

either way, he seems like a pretty nice guy, so i hope his stuff finds its way back to him intact.

i do generally like his scores, and think that TBU is a pretty incredible piece of work.
he has his own channel on www.stage6.divx.com where you can watch a couple of the pieces, as well as a pretty good interview about TBU (for those who haven't seen it already). i find his thoughts on piracy and how he financed TBU are particularly interesting.

perhaps the expense of replacing logic (again) will convince him to try dp instead?? :wink:

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kelldammit wrote:either way, he seems like a pretty nice guy, so i hope his stuff finds its way back to him intact.
Hear, hear.

I noticed the mucho glass thing too.
Looks like he enjoys working in natural light.
Who wouldn't?
kelldammit wrote:perhaps the expense of replacing logic (again) will convince him to try dp instead?? :wink:
Yes! Good kell, call. :lol:
jgest wrote:I'd have to agree with you.
Is there nothing we disagree on, Josh? :shock:

We probably even agree on the fact that we've always agreed, right? :D