tiger & dp: is it safe to switch now?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
fontane
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

tiger & dp: is it safe to switch now?

Post by fontane »

um running 10.3 and dp 4.6 /// is it safe to switch to tiger now? my list of software is:

dp 4.6
uad 3.9.0
mach five
mx4 2
kontakt 2
recycle 2.1
psp nitro
waves

is it safe? lol... is the performance really better? has the dust finally settled?
Shane Fontane
www.shanefontane.com

Dual 1.8 G5 | 2.5GB | OS X 10.3.9 | DP 4.52 | UAD | Mach 5 | SampleTank 2 | Kontakt 2 | MX4 | Recycle | MAudio Firewire Audiophile | Undying Passion For Music
glmusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: tiger & dp: is it safe to switch now?

Post by glmusic »

If it aint broke . . .

Performance is about the same, small gains if any.
Giga Designs Dual 1.33
1.5 RAM, ATI 9600, OSX.44
ATTO UL3D RAID
Metric Halo 2882+DSP
MOTU Micro Express USB
DP 4.61, Tracktion 2.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not 100% sure that all is right with DP 4.6. It may be my imagination, but I think there may be something odd going on with tracks and chunks. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there are a lot of posts about these mixups between what is displayed and what is actually being altered when editing or what actually should be there. I can't give links without combing a lot of threads, and even if I did, I can't say that it's a problem across the board. It's just a feeling I have right now about 4.6. That said, I'm using 4.6 in Tiger, and I wouldn't give it up. I love it. I just wish that MOTU would do a "catch-up" update soon in which they don't add features but just fix any bugs that might exist.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Issues:
Mackie Onyx
Mackie Control still.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
fontane

Post by fontane »

thanks for your responses guys... i think im gonna stick to 10.3.9 for now...
Shane Fontane
www.shanefontane.com

Dual 1.8 G5 | 2.5GB | OS X 10.3.9 | DP 4.52 | UAD | Mach 5 | SampleTank 2 | Kontakt 2 | MX4 | Recycle | MAudio Firewire Audiophile | Undying Passion For Music
pcm

Post by pcm »

Originally posted by Timeline:
Issues:
Mackie Onyx
Mackie Control still.
I have a Mackie Onyx 1640, and recently ran two of them for 32 tracks of audio, for an hour at a time, to my POWERBOOK 1.67, OS 10.4.2, 1.5 gigs of ram.

I don't believe there is an onyx issue, not with a sucess story like that!
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

PCM,

Does your laptop have 4.6?

<small>[ August 21, 2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Timeline ]</small>
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
pcm

Post by pcm »

Yes, 4.6 OS 10.4.2.
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

PCM - what sample rate and what was the chain. I would like to get up in this range with my set up but know I will need to upgrade to 1.5 to 2 gig RAM. Please give details...

cheers

PS - how do you like the ONYX 1640 mic pre's? A/B? What MOTU interface you using?
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

My advice is to go ahead and upgrade to Tiger, being sure to visit the MOTU site and install all the recommended updates to MIDI and audio drivers. I will suggest that you do NOT remove 4.52, however, so that you have the option of reverting to this version if you encounter problems in 4.6.

In general, when I install a new version of DP, I keep the previous one available on my drive for safety until the newest version has proven itself to be trustworthy enough to delete the previous version from my hard drive.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
pcm

Post by pcm »

draudio2u wrote:PCM - what sample rate and what was the chain. I would like to get up in this range with my set up but know I will need to upgrade to 1.5 to 2 gig RAM. Please give details...

cheers

PS - how do you like the ONYX 1640 mic pre's? A/B? What MOTU interface you using?
If you do a search for ONYX, you should find several posts I made on this.

Quickly:

-32 channels of 16-bit, 44.1 (we were concerned it would work at all, so we went with a lighter load
-powerbook 1.67, 1.5 megs ram, os 10.4.2, DP 4.6
-airport off, spotlight on
-voices - 34 mono, 1 stereo
-rec and play buffers both each 250
-host multiplier set to "2", buffer at 2048
-2 Mackie ONYX boards, in series, patched into powerbook firewire port
-both boards shift-selected within DO, NOT within Apple Audio/MIDI Setup
-recording to the internal drive in the powerbook (100 gig drive, about 2/3 full at the time)

The secret of this success? Not sure. Having the newest powerbook surely helps, as does the Seagate internal drive, which as you see is quite something in it's own right. For whatever it's worth, I also have the extra VRAM (128 vs. 64), perhaps that lessened the graphics stress. Who knows. I'm just glad it works.

As per your last question, I think the Mackie ONYX preamps are very very good. I no longer own any motu firewire interfaces. There are pros and cons to any choice, and I went with this one. I like being able to monitor what I am recording, and having a board attached to the preamps allows me to do that. It's more expensive that any of the motu options, and a lot bigger and heavier, but it allows me to take 16 really good sounding mic preamps to the venue, in a very very functional way.

Mark Dann