what grinds my gears..... !

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

what grinds my gears..... !

Post by Spikey Horse »

Websites which start playing unrequested audio/movies automatically as soon as the homepage loads when they should know better.

Now Apple have started doing it with their 'Hello, I'm a mac....' adverts ....

- yeah well hello I'm a f**king mac too, trying to do my 'fun stuff, like movies, music....' and it pisses me off when I'm working, I need to quickly check out your website and you assault my ears with those f**king mac/pc adverts!

Jobs, get mac and pc to just STFU until I decide they can speak.

:roll:

EDIT: yay! 800 posts :D
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

MOTU did this as well with their new 8Pre. Waiting for these things to load every time is a pain.

One thing I had to do was to just creat bookmarks that got me to very specific places-- like <motu.com/techsupport> or <apple.com/support> just to bypass the media-laden front pages.

Of course, there's no predicting what happens when browsing new sites. What Safari needs-- or what I've yet to find in Safari-- is a control panel that filters out gratuitous media. Of course, this is one of those intrusions that advertisersuse to their own advantage which forces ads onto the innocent.

In some cases, an mpeg will actually have commercial ads before the video you want to watch gets loaded. Just as with the entire TiVo commercial skip controversy, I doubt Apple will offer such a feature.

I've been a bit put off by my ISP when using their web mail-- the animated banner ads are all over my mail box window. They are constantly boasting spam blockers and yet imposing such official spam under the guise of sponsorship in the most private sections of my account pages.

Okay, so advertising might be a necessary evil, but do they always have to be so media-heavy?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: what grinds my gears..... !

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Detour is your (freeware) friend. Really useful in many other ways, but you can control your browser easily. I set the browser volumes to about 10%. If I want to hear it, I pump it up. If I don't, it is easy enough to shut them up!

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20128
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Right Said Fredo wrote:... What Safari needs-- or what I've yet to find in Safari-- is a control panel that filters out gratuitous media.
Hear, hear; especially for we peeps with 2k connections. :D
Fwoggy-do wrote:Of course, this is one of those intrusions that advertisers use to their own advantage which forces ads onto the innocent.
Yeah. We the innocent are being robbed... of our innocence. :lol:
Fwoggy-see, Fwoggy-do wrote:In some cases, an mpeg will actually have commercial ads before the video you want to watch gets loaded. Just as with the entire TiVo commercial skip controversy, I doubt Apple will offer such a feature.
Sinister.
The "No Bull" Fwoggy wrote:I've been a bit put off by my ISP when using their web mail-- the animated banner ads are all over my mail box window. They are constantly boasting spam blockers and yet imposing such official spam under the guise of sponsorship in the most private sections of my account pages.
How dare they mess with your private parts. :shock:
So pathetic and predictable, this greed thing.
The Spam-Swamped Fwoggy wrote:Okay, so advertising might be a necessary evil, but do they always have to be so media-heavy?
Give 'em an inch. The love of money. :roll:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here