Can I use 2 828's simultaneously?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
papajuju
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can I use 2 828's simultaneously?

Post by papajuju »

Hi, can anyone tell me if it's possible to chain 2 MOTU 828's together to double the available ins and outs ? For some reason I can't seem to find any info on wether this is possible or not anywhere.
:?:

Thanks.

/Papajuju
steveninkster

Re: Can I use 2 828's simultaneously?

Post by steveninkster »

papajuju wrote:Hi, can anyone tell me if it's possible to chain 2 MOTU 828's together to double the available ins and outs ? For some reason I can't seem to find any info on wether this is possible or not anywhere.
:?:

Thanks.

/Papajuju
Absolutely! I achieved this by creating an aggregate device, and setting the clock of one to internal, and the clock of the other to be the first 828.

Hope that helps!

Steven
papajuju

Post by papajuju »

Thanks for the response. Well I may sound a bit dumb here, but we are talking about the original 828's and not the mkII's, right?
And I have no idea what is meant by aggregate device :?:
the sync process itself, is it word clock or SPDIF, or what? Sorry about all the newbie questions, I'm just really new to the MOTU cards, in fact, the unit I have hasn't even arrived here yet and I'm looking into options for getting more ins and outs already :lol:

Best

/papajuju
steveninkster

Post by steveninkster »

papajuju wrote:Thanks for the response. Well I may sound a bit dumb here, but we are talking about the original 828's and not the mkII's, right?
And I have no idea what is meant by aggregate device :?:
the sync process itself, is it word clock or SPDIF, or what? Sorry about all the newbie questions, I'm just really new to the MOTU cards, in fact, the unit I have hasn't even arrived here yet and I'm looking into options for getting more ins and outs already :lol:

Best

/papajuju
Papajuju,

I was referring to the mkII's. I don't have experience of the original 828s so I'm not sure how much applies.

Creating an aggregate device is a MAC OS X thing - go into Applications and find the Audio MIDI setup. Run this and you'll find "Open Aggregate Device Editor" under the Audio menu. I believe you can mix and match any audio interfaces so this should be okay for the original 828s.

The synchronisation is done in the MOTU audio setup application. I have no clue what it looks like for the original 828s, but for me there's a triggering option on each 828 tab; all I needed to do was set one to "internal" then the other to sync with the unit set to "internal".

I hope this helps.

Steven
peckapope

synchronizing 2 mk828II

Post by peckapope »

Hi,
Shouldn't a word clock (or spdif/adat) cable be used when synchronizing two 828?
Probably a stupid question: but if 828mkII #1 clock sets to "internal", should 828mkII #2 clock be set to external/device/mk#1 or what...?
Do You also need to choose #1 (or whatever choosed to be master/internal) as clock in the "aggregate device" settings - Audio MIDI Setup?

(Having 2 mkII and ADA8000 ultragain and dont seems to get these synchronized. A lot of pops OR latency...)

best r /P
steveninkster

Re: synchronizing 2 mk828II

Post by steveninkster »

peckapope wrote:Hi,
Shouldn't a word clock (or spdif/adat) cable be used when synchronizing two 828?
Probably a stupid question: but if 828mkII #1 clock sets to "internal", should 828mkII #2 clock be set to external/device/mk#1 or what...?
Do You also need to choose #1 (or whatever choosed to be master/internal) as clock in the "aggregate device" settings - Audio MIDI Setup?

(Having 2 mkII and ADA8000 ultragain and dont seems to get these synchronized. A lot of pops OR latency...)

best r /P
These clock settings work for me:

828#1 - INTERNAL
828#2 - 828#1

Hope that helps!

Steven
peckapope

Post by peckapope »

Thanx! Yupp. Works like a charm:-)