Our latest album "Bird"

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Martini Hill
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Our latest album "Bird"

Post by Martini Hill »

Hi everyone. Glad to see the Nation is back! For some reason, I never explored the User Showcase until today. Wish that I would have. I could have benefited from a little insight. This album was created entirely with DP. Actually with Audio Desk in the very beginning. Even more interestingly, it was done in my "off grid" home/studio, powered by solar and wind. It could be the only or one of a very few "Green" albums ever produced! I struggled a lot with the mix. It was torturous!! It was definitely a casualty of being self written. performed. mixed and mastered. Every thing was performed by my wife and myself, with the exception of 2 different violinists. One of which is David Ragsdale from the classic rock group Kansas.

Enjoy, and please be brutal with comments and suggestions. My goal was to try to make a cross/compromise between (A) setting a sound stage/space with considerable depth and (B) something a little more "current" sounding i.e., dry and in your face.

It is my hope to do a remix/master and re-release this year. I would love to find an engineer with "Nashville" sounding sensibilities to rescue me!

Thanx Jeff

http://www.jeffandsue.com/music.html

or:

www.jeffandsue.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

I can't be brutal, because your music is too good, and some of the most enjoyable that's been posted here. I enjoyed the production and post also, and even though it sounds like it may have come from the seventies and not current, I don't mind at all, as I come from the seventies.

And double congratulations for recording "green." Overall, this is very impressive to me.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
leigh

Post by leigh »

Very nice job! The songs are a pleasure to listen to. The two of you should be very proud of your efforts. (Can you tell I like it?)

It's very obvious to me that you spent a lot of time on the mix and it was time well spent. Everything is clear and easy to hear. Your use of the soundstage is very effective in conveying space and contributes to the overall clarity. It's not overly compressed and has good dynamic range and plenty of headroom.

It seems like you have a good range of material, too.

I'd be interested in know more of the technical details, like vocal mic's, plug-ins, etc.

And where are you off-grid? We have some off-grid friends near Taos, NM.

**Leigh
reekguitar

Post by reekguitar »

greetings from the old world!
Congrats to both of you! you are very talented people!
I do not to see what to say other than, keep on writing
& recording!
G4 Silver 733 / OS 9.2 / Motu 1224 / Fastlane
DP-3.11 / Reason 2.5
Roland MB-D1 / JV-1010 / U-220 / Korg X-5
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Thanx for the kind words!! Especially to Leigh for the detailed review!!! I should have posted my studio website address in the first post. It has everything about our studio and all of it's "green" components. Here it is:

www.martinihill.com

Thanks again everyone! J.