Apple news, no new computers

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

chucks wrote:...If iRemember correctly there wasn't an iAnything in 1999. Weren't they headed in the eDirection then (eMac)?
Perhaps so, but no one was openly complaining then (afaik). No doubt, neither side is going into or coming out of this with clean hands-- but ethically speaking, the concept of 'iProduct' or 'eProduct' can't be so easily separated, can it? In prinicpal, it's still the same marketing idea under the same trademark.

If Cisco has its paperwork in order, then there's really no defense for Apple. But neither can Apple be blamed for Cisco's own sloppiness with trademark registration.

LOL--
iRemember :lol:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

I've nothing to add to this copyright discussion other than there's an episode of Futurama where you learn that the state of Ohio has been changed to eHio. Cracked me up.
vier-personen

Post by vier-personen »

chrispick wrote:I've nothing to add to this copyright discussion other than there's an episode of Futurama where you learn that the state of Ohio has been changed to eHio. Cracked me up.
eDUCATION Hole In One???

:wink:
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

Frodo, you left one off your list- the devil's app ...... iSight :D

iSomethings seem to be everywhere though these days - not just from Apple - I swear these were the first three iSomethings I googled - I wasn't sure any of them actually existed but sure enough they do!! :wink:

iMap

http://www.biovolution.com/imap/

iDog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDog

iPal

http://www.amazon.com/Tivoli-Audio-Port ... B0002HA7OK

oh wait, here's one more for luck -

iBlue Tube

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 ... ifier.html
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

There was a segment on the John Stewart Show that took a stab at Apple, saying that Steve Jobs' next big keynote would be that he's starting his own country, having purchased the state of iDaho.

Whatever the case, it seems like the I's have it.
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

It's interesting to me that Apple chose to keep with iPhone even though they knew Cisco had the trademark on it, but they decided to change iTV to Apple TV because another company (can't remember the name) already had an iTV device that acts like a TiVO for your Mac. Why didn't Apple go ahead with iTV just like they did with iPhone? Probably because iTV is a device for the Mac - didn't want to fight a company making devices for Apple products.

I think iPodPhone or PhonePod or PodPhone would be cool. How about ApplePhone or MacPhone? :lol:

I just hope the next iPods have the new form factor and interface, as well as WiFi capability, except with an 80 G drive. That would be cool - surfing the net on your iPod, being able to buy songs directly from iTunes on your iPod!!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

You know, at the end of the day all I really want is to have a computer that works well and runs the software I need without crashing. Apple's priorities are expanding now, but hopefully not divided to the point of distraction.

As for naming these devices, they can call it Bathsheba and it would be all the same to me.

Now, if iPhone ran DP with all my audio, MIDI, and VIs with no latency at 192k/24-bit-- then *that* would be truly newsworthy!!
billf

Post by billf »

chucks wrote:If iRemember correctly there wasn't an iAnything in 1999. Weren't they headed in the eDirection then (eMac)?

The first iMac was released in 1998.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I work in a high security plant no personal cameras are allowed, no phones with cameras in them are allowed. Yet people still manage to bring photo phones in, photo phones are a spy••™s best friend. Down loading to your phone so you can steal information is another boon to spying. Maybe some one should call home land security on Apple. :roll:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

No new Macs - kind of a relief in a way. Apple just needs to fix whatever is wrong with the latest models.

Regarding the i-Phone - I want one. Period.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

David Polich wrote:No new Macs - kind of a relief in a way. Apple just needs to fix whatever is wrong with the latest models.

Regarding the i-Phone - I want one. Period.
LOL!!

Hey DP Dave-- I was just thinking about that!! I'd be a little on the fence with getting a 3G version and have really wondered about this mysterious Octal-Mac rumored to be on the horizon. That there are no new Mac towers now means that I have six months to plan ahead.

Certainly by then, we all will have a much better idea of what Leopard is all about and where all of this hardware is going. In the meantime, we can revel in the world in gadgetry. :P
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Eight-Core Macs will be released within the next month or two.
Call me octamistic, but I firmly believe we'll all be singing happy songs in an Oct(a)puses' Garden in the shade well before the solstice. 8)
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

HCMarkus wrote:Eight-Core Macs will be released within the next month or two.
Call me octamistic, but I firmly believe we'll all be singing happy songs in an Oct(a)puses' Garden in the shade well before the solstice. 8)
Okee-dokee, HC. We're all holding you to that prophecy.

We will sing and dance arou-hound... :D
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

On a completely irrelevant and irreverent note, i would love to see Apple drop the "a" in "Mac" and watch the mother of all legal battles ensue with a certain McCompany. I just hope McDonalds dont start selling apples! Or do they already?

regards,
James
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Why doesn't Apple just drop the 'i' and add 'X'? As in OS X. XPhone. After all, it runs OS X.

Maybe it's too 90s-ish? X-Files? Geez. that show seems like it's a million years old now. Hey! I just realized. We're from the FUTURE now. [cue Twilite Zone music]

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|