3 sentence ebay rant

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
emulatorloo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

3 sentence ebay rant

Post by emulatorloo »

"The only marks of wear are small scratches on the rack-mounting hardware where the screw was."

You mean to tell me that you could not afford 4 whole cents for nylon washers after you paid 1200.00 for your rack mount unit????????????????

-----
Yes I admit it, I am a bit obsessive -- but I was trained by engineers who a) lay the rack flat on its back before mounting gear b) always used nylon washers

--
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

You use scratchy nylon washers?!

:wink:

It''s funny how some people care, some don't ..... personally I have some equipment I would, and probably have at some point used as a breadboard, other stuff has its own blanket. It makes no sense.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You're making sense, Spike. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Resonant Alien

Post by Resonant Alien »

Just be happy the guy put that in the description of the item instead of trying to hide it like a lot of people do on eBay
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Resonant Alien wrote:Just be happy the guy put that in the description of the item instead of trying to hide it like a lot of people do on eBay
You've got a point -- most would just call it "MINT!!! PERFECT CONDITION" and be done with it.
Shooshie

Re: 3 sentence ebay rant

Post by Shooshie »

emulatorloo wrote:"The only marks of wear are small scratches on the rack-mounting hardware where the screw was."

You mean to tell me that you could not afford 4 whole cents for nylon washers after you paid 1200.00 for your rack mount unit????????????????

-----
Yes I admit it, I am a bit obsessive -- but I was trained by engineers who a) lay the rack flat on its back before mounting gear b) always used nylon washers

--
Suddenly I'm feeling that my normal level of obsessive/compulsive tendencies is inadequate. Now, I've got to get nylon washers for all the screws in my rack. On the other hand, how many of you have adjustable spacers that support every unit front and back while adding .25" breathing space between units? I designed my rack that way. But I just didn't think of nylon spacers! How stupid of me! How could I have allowed those screws to scratch my precious rack units???

:D

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Shooshie wrote:Suddenly I'm feeling that my normal level of obsessive/compulsive tendencies is inadequate. Now, I've got to get nylon washers for all the screws in my rack. On the other hand, how many of you have adjustable spacers that support every unit front and back while adding .25" breathing space between units? I designed my rack that way.
I've seen pictures of your set-up -- yes you must get washers to complete it. I usually get the black screws and washers in a set, like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=804687

Although certainly the white nylon ones from the hardware store will do.

Hey I like that .25 inch idea!

Shooshie, the most obsessive person I know about cut pieces of felt to put on top of each piece of rack gear to protect from the other pieces before he racked it. So you would get:

Piece of Felt
------------------
Korg Triton Rack
--------------------
Piece of Felt
--------------------
Yamaha A-5000
-------------------
Piece of Felt

And so on.

He claimed this avoided rack rash on the top. I never asked him what he did about gear that was vented on the top, though.

-
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

For gear in rack cases which will be moved about a lot (used for live etc) if the rack case is just a small plastic one with no spring mounting inside I wrap two strips of neoprene around them (approx 2inch wide, 1/2 inch thick). Lots of gaffa tape to join ends of the loops - it will stay on fine if there's a hint of a stretch... or maybe add a strip of tape accross from one neoprene strip to the other like an 'H'.

Using strips is easier than trying to make 'feet' and will protect whether placed on side or bottom. Can also be easily removed if needed without leaving marks on the rack case!

Just adds some protection against vans with bad suspension, being plonked down on the ground by heavy handed roadie etc etc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there! :D
Jim

Post by Jim »

I unmount all my gear weekly, and give the metal cases a coating of Turtle Wax, followed by a good buffing, a massage, and a martini. The power cord gets a coating of WD40 and irradiation treatments to ward off bad electrons. And I would install the gear in the rack with nothing less than velvet coated rubberized nylon washers.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
mikebeckmotu

Post by mikebeckmotu »

Jim, Jim, Jim....
Velvet?
Everybody knows that suede provides a warmer analog sound.
Really, now...
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Jim wrote:irradiation treatments to ward off bad electrons

I find it simpler to house them in my crystal pyramid for 48 hours. Then all bad electrons and spirits are automatically removed.

-
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

What about grounding? With all respect to those who are concerned the virginal quality inherent in new gear is lost when the equipment is subjected to metal-on-metal mounting, isn't low-noise performance the most important criteria? Sometimes insulating washers are a good thing. Sometimes they're not.

A little paint, or even an indelible magic marker, has amazing restorative powers. Almost as good as a crystal pyramid. :wink:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

HCMarkus wrote:<snip>virginal quality <snip> indelible magic <snip> Almost as good as a crystal pyramid. :wink:
Crap, HCMarkus, I feel a song lyric coming on. . . :lol:

--
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

emulatorloo wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:<snip>virginal quality <snip> indelible magic <snip> Almost as good as a crystal pyramid. :wink:
Crap, HCMarkus, I feel a song lyric coming on. . . :lol:

--
Sounding good! Happy New Year! :D
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

emulatorloo wrote:... He claimed this avoided rack rash on the top...
I met a girl with that once. :lol:
emulatorloo wrote:... I never asked him what he did about gear that was vented on the top, though.
Hang on; the vent's always down below, isn't it? :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here