sampling movie lines for use in music...royalties?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
hollywood
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

sampling movie lines for use in music...royalties?

Post by hollywood »

Is there a set rule for clearing movie samples for use in music?

Is there a time duration that determines if royalties are necessary?

Thanks.
Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8 quad core, 10GB ram), Motu DP 10.1, OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan, Apogee Ensemble, Motu MIDI Express XT
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

You should contact ASCAP or BMI for more information, or Google "motion picture score royalties" for more info.
mckelly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mckelly »

David Polich wrote:You should contact ASCAP or BMI for more information, or Google "motion picture score royalties" for more info.
If what Hollywood is asking about is movie dialog, then ASCAP or BMI are not going to be much help. His question with respect to timing is prescient - this is a matter of de minimis use of a portion of a copyrighted work (motion picture). Assuming that he is not using dialog from entire movie, then there should not be a problem. I would restrain to a few lines. A dissertation in copyright law and a treatise on 9th and 2nd circuit court opinions would be required to explain the consequences of using artistic works.

And as an aside, I would admonish against 'googling' anything when it comes to law.
Mac Pro 2.66/5GB RAM/2x200 WD Hard Drives/1x250 Apple HD
2408mk3, 828, MIDI Express 128, Frontier Sierra, Dakota & Montana and dedicated Gigastudio PC (Intel 4, 2GB RAM)
DP 5.11, Opus 1, EWQLSO Gold & XP, Kontakt 2, Stylus et al.
Kurzweil PC1X and Roland XP-10
hollywood
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hollywood »

Yes, dialog is what I'm referring to. Sorry about the confusion.

Everyone has heard a song I'm sure where there are a few lines used from a movie. Some lines when taken out of the context of the movie itself produce very cool results.

I prepping some instrumental stuff that I'd like to make available commercially, but I haven't included any such samples for fear of copyright issues.
Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8 quad core, 10GB ram), Motu DP 10.1, OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan, Apogee Ensemble, Motu MIDI Express XT