*** Nominations for a UN Ambassador to MOTU ***

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

billf wrote:One of these days the boys in Redmond are going to decide to release a music DAW, at which point current makers of Windows DAW's are going to find out that it is no cakewalk selling apps in the Windows world.

I hope MOTU doesn't decide to go down the Windows DP route.
Keep in mind that the boys in Redmond don't always get it right. They'd have to made a GOOD DAW and they'd have to sell it cheaply. I had friends at Intuit back when Gates and Co. set their sights on taking on Turbo Tax. They started up a tax software division... hired numerous engineers and enticing some of the talent away from Intuit. There was some concern. However, even though Microsoft threw millions at trying to take that market away, they failed. They came to the party late and they had an inferior product. Hopefully the same will hold true with the Microsoft challenge to the iTunes/iPod juggernaut.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Resonant Alien »

James Steele wrote:
billf wrote:One of these days the boys in Redmond are going to decide to release a music DAW, at which point current makers of Windows DAW's are going to find out that it is no cakewalk selling apps in the Windows world.

Keep in mind that the boys in Redmond don't always get it right. They'd have to made a GOOD DAW and they'd have to sell it cheaply. I had friends at Intuit back when Gates and Co. set their sights on taking on Turbo Tax. They started up a tax software division... hired numerous engineers and enticing some of the talent away from Intuit. There was some concern. However, even though Microsoft threw millions at trying to take that market away, they failed. They came to the party late and they had an inferior product. Hopefully the same will hold true with the Microsoft challenge to the iTunes/iPod juggernaut.
Yeah - just look at the Zune. Most articles I've read give it about 12 months before the iPod sends it to an early grave
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:

They are currently doing the same tactic towards Photoshop and several other Adobe products, Google, and as you mention, iTunes. While it is true that MS is not making much headway in these areas, the consistent factor is that they are taking on well entrenched market leaders in a wide market space and those leaders have fairly deep pockets to battle MS.

In the case of DAW's on Windows, MOTU currently has zero market share, and the ability for MS to lock out smaller competitors is fairly substantial should they choose to move into the DAW market.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1