Live Jazz Trio

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
leigh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Live Jazz Trio

Post by leigh »

Here's a clip of a recent live recording I did using Metric Halo MIO 2882+DSP for the recording and DP 5.11 for editing and mixing.

http://leighdaniels.com/clips/WonderlandClip.mp3

I'm interested in hearing any feedback.

Thanks.

**Leigh
ba_hill
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ba_hill »

That's beautiful - both the performance and the recording!

Brian
reekguitar

Post by reekguitar »

agree with Ba-hill, really great work.

Maybe it's my computer speakers but I could need more of upright Bass and drums in terms of volume. I am also impressed about the tonal quality of the recording of the piano, really direct and dynamics, that Metric Halo must be doing a fantastic job.

Again, congrats!
G4 Silver 733 / OS 9.2 / Motu 1224 / Fastlane
DP-3.11 / Reason 2.5
Roland MB-D1 / JV-1010 / U-220 / Korg X-5
jrdmcdnld

Post by jrdmcdnld »

It's got class. Good Job.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Class.
1 minute 13 seconds?
Monkey wants more....

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Jim

Post by Jim »

Klattu, berada neckto...

Sounds excellent on my Powerbook; I'll have to listen again later with my interface attached.

If you please, can you tell us how (and where) you miked the trio? I Googled the Metric Halo 2882, and it only has four mic preamps. I thought you captured a well balanced sound.

Beringa
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
leigh

Post by leigh »

If you please, can you tell us how (and where) you miked the trio? I Googled the Metric Halo 2882, and it only has four mic preamps. I thought you captured a well balanced sound.

Correction to my original post: I used an MH ULN-2 interface for the piano and the 2882 for the drums, bass, bells and glockenspiel.

Here's a link to the 2882 & ULN:

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/

I recorded and mixed the session at 96 KHz/24-bits. I don't care what the theory says, my ears, and others' ears, can tell a difference.

The bandstand was very small so it was a challenge to get good mic placement, especially on the bass.

I miked the piano with a pair of Earthworks QTC-30's a couple of inches above the hammers and just to the right of each of the two central ribs and a bit away from the keyboard end.

The bass was a combination of DI from the amp and a Rode NT1000 mic placed a few inches from the bridge. The bassist was not using the traditional Spirocore jazz strings but instead used Pirastro "Permanent" strings which are a compromise between jazz and orchestral strings; they bow better but are darker than the Spirocores and have less growl and sustain.

The drums were done with a pair of Neumann KM-184 overheads, the old standby SM-57 on the snare, and an AKG D-112 on the kick drum.

In DP I used Metric Halo ChannelStrip for EQ and some light compression and the Waves L2 for final leveling and dithering.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks. But, that's 7 mics, and only 6 mic inputs on the two interfaces, right? Did you have an outboard pre for the bass feeding one of the line ins?

You said "bandstand." Did you record this in a bar?
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
ba_hill

Post by ba_hill »

Hi Jim,

The MIO 2882 has 8 mic preamps. Four of them have XLR connectors and 4 have TRS connectors. They are otherwise identical. I have one and love it.

Brian
jrdmcdnld

Post by jrdmcdnld »

In DP I used Metric Halo ChannelStrip for EQ and some light compression and the Waves L2 for final leveling and dithering.
I just authorized my copy of Channelstrip yesterday. It's great to hear it in action!
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

The track sound great to me. I guess I'd like to hear more room in it -- a broader sense of space -- but that's just being picky. Good job.
Last edited by chrispick on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leigh

Post by leigh »

chrispick wrote: -- a braoder sense of space -- but that's just being picky.
chrispick,

Tell me more. I think I hear what you mean when I listen, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

**Leigh
leigh

Post by leigh »

Jim wrote:You said "bandstand." Did you record this in a bar?
Yes, Murphy's Place in Toledo, OH.

**Leigh
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Very nice indeed. I just love the MIO. Have a 2882 and am looking to pick up the ULN2 early next year.

My only criticism - there seemed a little bit of buildup in the low-mids...it made certain notes border on the muddy side of warm. Other than that I loved it.

The band sounded great.

Slightly off-topic, but related...how do you like the Earthworks? I'm tempted (I do a lot of classical recording) but am trying to decide between those, DPA & Schoeps.
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
Jim

Post by Jim »

sdemott wrote:Very nice indeed. I just love the MIO. Have a 2882 and am looking to pick up the ULN2 early next year.

My only criticism - there seemed a little bit of buildup in the low-mids...it made certain notes border on the muddy side of warm. Other than that I loved it.

The band sounded great.

Slightly off-topic, but related...how do you like the Earthworks? I'm tempted (I do a lot of classical recording) but am trying to decide between those, DPA & Schoeps.
After I re-listened with my LinkUSB interface through some Genelecs, I also thought there was some low end buildup.

I have some Earthworks Z30 cardioids (now discontinued and not the same mics that Leigh has) that I use for drum overheads. I'm not wild about them. Wish I'd gone for a pair of 414s instead.