windows xp driver help!!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Baptiste
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Baptiste »

Thanks hklam, I'm goin' to read this article from RME (great principal and german outsider of MOTU in windows environment, with creamware according to me... it's another subject !!!) and I'll give you my opinion (or not, I haven't got the "science infuse", it's in french...it's 7h38 here, the 24th december...understand me...please wait a little for an answer... :oops: :mrgreen: ).

Musically yours

BAT
PC: P4 630 @ 3Ghz / Asus P5GD2 Premium / 1GB Ram(Corsair Value Select DDRII 512 Mo PC4200 x2) in dual channel
OS on 160GB SATA150 7200rpm Maxtor HD / Audio files on 200GB SATA150 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HD
Softs: Nuendo 3, Waves-Platinum Bundle v4.0.
MOTU 896HD, MOTU MIDI express 128 USB, Alesis ADAT Black, KRK V6 series2 monitors, Behringer T1950 Magician, Roland TD6-K, Korg X5-D, SPD20, Yam A3000, and my musicians... :mrgreen:

PS: Apologize for my bad english :lol:
Mandrak

Post by Mandrak »

:D I'll read this article too...
But now it's time for fiesta !

Merry Christmas and happy new year :D
See you next year.
hklam

Post by hklam »

Baptiste wrote:Thanks hklam, I'm goin' to read this article from RME (great principal and german outsider of MOTU in windows environment, with creamware according to me... it's another subject !!!) and I'll give you my opinion (or not, I haven't got the "science infuse", it's in french...it's 7h38 here, the 24th december...understand me...please wait a little for an answer... :oops: :mrgreen: ).

Musically yours

BAT
Les Allemands sont fanstastic avec leur ingénierie. Contrairement à MOTU ils (RME) a fourni une solution pour le désordre de Windows.
http://myspace.com/mgstudio

Intel Core2Duo 6400, cubase sl, wavelab6, motu896HD, motu traveler, krk, mcu + xt, motu mtp/av
hklam

Post by hklam »

Yee..ah. I got it all working.

The problem is with Windows XP SP2 drivers for Firewire 1394. I have been adviced to reinstall my XP to SP1 which will resolve the problem, but this will leave me with a PC that is dedicated for recording and nothing else. So I have decided to replace the SP2 Firewire drivers with SP1 following the information provided by RME, as below

The instruction from this site may be a bit more clearer.

Thanks for your help.
http://myspace.com/mgstudio

Intel Core2Duo 6400, cubase sl, wavelab6, motu896HD, motu traveler, krk, mcu + xt, motu mtp/av
Mandrak

Post by Mandrak »

Hi,

it seems to be a good end-of-year's news :lol:
Thanks for your help too !
I'll try this when I'm back home, next year :wink:

Bye,
lmoe

Post by lmoe »

[quote="hklam"][

It will be a lot of effort to revert XP from SP2 back to SP1 as this is not a new PC or fresh install. I have been using this PC for a while recording and too many things have been stacked on it, e.g. plug-ins, drivers to easily reintall. So it not an option.]

Go to control panel/add or remove programs . After the list populates scrll down and you will see Windows Service Pack 2. You can painlessly uninstall the service pack to revert to SP1. I will not affect you installed drivers or programs. I did it on my DAW when I bought my 896HD coz MOTU FW interfaces and SP2 doesn't play well together.
donkeydonkeydonkey

kb885222 download problem

Post by donkeydonkeydonkey »

Hi ,
I am trying to download the patch to fix the firewire problem with SP2, but windows genuine advantage tool will not let me down the file.
Does anyone know where i can get that file?
thanks.
arth

Post by arth »

lmoe wrote:Go to control panel/add or remove programs . After the list populates scrll down and you will see Windows Service Pack 2. You can painlessly uninstall the service pack to revert to SP1. I will not affect you installed drivers or programs.
This is only an option if you have a machine old enough that it's been updated with SP2 after the fact. Any machines or copies of Windows bought after the release of SP2 won't have an option to roll back to SP1.
And if you both can and do roll back, Microsoft will no longer support the OS. Which in addition to not being able to call them with a problem, also means you won't get security and other updates from Microsoft Update.

Since many of us do run XP SP2 without problems, and there's only anecdotal evidence for this having any positive effect compared to applying the firewire patch correctly to SP2, I personally think this is snake oil, possibly aided by the fact that a rollback will replace about half the OS, and get rid of lots of 3rd party malware/adware/bloatware, i.e. the same effect as wiping the disk and reinstalling.
arth

Re: kb885222 download problem

Post by arth »

donkeydonkeydonkey wrote:Hi ,
I am trying to download the patch to fix the firewire problem with SP2, but windows genuine advantage tool will not let me down the file.
Does anyone know where i can get that file?
thanks.
If the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool fails to verify that you have a legal copy of Windows, it should inform you of how to contact Microsoft. It can happen by mistake, like having multiple machines and picking the wrong set of seemingly identical CDs when reinstalling on one of them, or if having had to have the motherboard repaired. If so, if you call microsoft and can rattle off the numbers on your license(s), they'll point you to a tool you can download and then fill in another one-time string of letters and numbers they'll give you over the phone, which will cause your Windows version to be validated.

(If, on the other hand, you don't have a valid Windows license for your computer(s), bugger off.)
Smokehouse

Post by Smokehouse »

Nobody should have to roll back there whole Windows OS to SP1. At this point it's just not practical, given all the system updates and such that have come since then.

As for the snake oil, I've found that if I don't roll back the 1394 drivers to SP1 (two dll files) then I get some occational twithy performance. Rolling back those two files makes everything ok.

Just my experience.
"I'll try anything twice."
Dell Latitude E6400 w/ WIN XP SP3, ADS Pyro 1394 FireWire
SONAR 8.5, WaveArts TrackPlus & MasterVerb, AutoTune 4.1
MOTU 828 MKIII, MOTU 828mkII, Presonus Digimax LT