OK, let me have it.

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
biv0uac
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Using Yamaha 01v96 as a DP controller

Post by biv0uac »

Jim,

I read that you are using an 01v for an interface. I am wondering if it is possible to interface this mixer to control DP. Is this possible? The online page and the online manual mentions that it does colntol 'other' DAW. Have you tried this? If so, what features does it control, fader and pan?

Thanks

Terence
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

Hi Jim. The second mix seems to be an improvement in my judgement, but perhaps that's just my taste. The first mix seemed a little lacking, but the second seems to be more musical...my two cents.

Cool!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, It's been a while since I checked into this forum, and lo and behold there's a post today from Phil O resurrecting this thread. Thanks for the comments, Phil. I'll likely revisit these mixes again, since I now have an MBP and new Intel plug-ins to throw at it.

Terence, sorry for letting you hang for so long. My Yamaha 01v is lightpiped into my MOTU 2408, which is the real interface I used. I also have a Presonus Digimax LT lightpiped to the 2408. That gives me 16 potential channels to record into DP. I could get 24 if I also used the analog inputs on the 2408.

The 01v does have some MIDI implementation, but it's not great. I believe that fader moves can be recorded, but I haven't tried it (and from what I've read, it's not a smooth controller stream that you'd get from a real control surface type unit). Mostly I have the 01v MIDI-fied just to send and receive program change messages.

Matcher, Tom and Mike... thanks also for your input and comments. I agree with Matcher about the thin snare sound, and that's something I've been struggling with in all my mixes. I've had an "aha" moment or two since I did these, and hopefully I'm learning more as I go.

Thanks again to everybody who posted comments.

Jim
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
rockstudio

music critique site

Post by rockstudio »

Ever checked out http://www.garageband.com? (not anything to do with Apple's app) This is usually for aspiring artists looking to get discovered, and some great feedback on the music to help improve the artist.

Regards!
RainMan7

Post by RainMan7 »

Groovy!

I really liked Seven Swarms a lot. The drums are mixed really nicely to my ears.

Sometimes its really difficult to gauge a mix properly for the fact that myspace compresses a lot of the information.

All in all, this is pretty sweet stuff, compositionally and mix-wise.

Good work.
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

The 2nd mix is better - but I'm hearing some freq. buildup that is keeping me from truly getting into it. low-mids & lows - all-in all just a little too muddy. I'd like to hear a little more up top too, but I suspect that cleaning up the low end would take care of a lot of that.

For me, too, the guitars are too far out front (and I'm a guitarist) for a lot of it, which makes the mix feel like there are 2 separate things happening (guitars and the other instruments).

I don't mind a hard panned bass (like it actually), but I felt it unbalanced the mix being behind the 2nd GTR with another guitar out there on it's own panned right. I really dug it until the 2nd GTR came in on the left. I would either move the bass back to center or the guitar from the left somewhere else.

sounds good though - there's a lot of good stuff in there. BTW, nice work on the skins...tasty!
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.