Ultralite mic pre's - very low input levels?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ohuke
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ultralite mic pre's - very low input levels?

Post by ohuke »

Hi,

I've tried some basic recording with Ultralite and a couple of dynamic mic's (SM57 and some pretty similar AKG). Speaking and such. Even when there's no pad in use and the trim is all the way up, the level of the recording is very low.

I've tested both of the mic inputs, changed cables and so on. So far I haven't had an opportunity to use other mic's, for example condensers.

I'm not an expert on recording, but I was just very surprised about how low the level is. Is this a known issue with Ultralite specifically or just - normal? I understand that SM57 is probably more at home with some snare drum rimshots than with someone speaking, but still, with no pad and so on...

Or is there some kind of a switch for mic/line levels on inputs 1-2 somewhere? I made a search and somebody here wrote something about how Ultralite was advertised to have those, but they couldn't be found from Cuemix (or the black box itself!).