Guitar Instrumental Mix Advice Desired

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
mstarlin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Guitar Instrumental Mix Advice Desired

Post by mstarlin »

I am about 3/4 done with my first solo project. It a collection of instrumentals I have written over the years. I would appreciate some advice on my first stab at a mix (or general comments on the music.)

http://www.betterguitar.com/fortydays.mp3

It starts off with a guitar riff, adds "jazzy" octave guitar, breaks down to a bass riff with guitar lead, then switches gears near the end and adds a screaming lead guitar, and ends with some general guitar bashing.

I did this on my ancient PowerBook G4 400Mhz! and original version MOTU 828 (don't you just love limitations!) and DP 4.61. The intro is two NI FM7 noise patches panned across each other, the bass is a Kontakt 2 sample, the guitars are my Les Paul through a PODxt (3 different patches.) The drums are from a Joey Kramer sample CD.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Starlin
Billster

Re: Guitar Instrumental Mix Advice Desired

Post by Billster »

mstarlin wrote: http://www.betterguitar.com/fortydays.mp3

It starts off with a guitar riff, adds "jazzy" octave guitar, breaks down to a bass riff with guitar lead, then switches gears near the end and adds a screaming lead guitar, and ends with some general guitar bashing.

I did this on my ancient PowerBook G4 400Mhz! and original version MOTU 828 (don't you just love limitations!) and DP 4.61. The intro is two NI FM7 noise patches panned across each other, the bass is a Kontakt 2 sample, the guitars are my Les Paul through a PODxt (3 different patches.) The drums are from a Joey Kramer sample CD.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Starlin
Overall, I like the tune, but...

I felt like the chord riff guitar from the intro was pushed too far back during the melody sections. I think the clean octave guitar is a little loud and shrill.

On the breakdown section, I wasn't crazy about the flood of echo. That may be a style thing you were going for, so maybe it's a matter of personal taste.

In contrast, I thought the screamy guitar was too dry. And to be picky, I heard some intonation problems on a few bends.

And the ending seems like a not-ending - just like the tune stopped.

I'm listening on desktop speakers, so I won't comment on the bass balance, and let it be known that I'm not a POD fan.
mstarlin

Re: Guitar Instrumental Mix Advice Desired

Post by mstarlin »

Billster wrote:
mstarlin wrote: http://www.betterguitar.com/fortydays.mp3

Overall, I like the tune, but...

I felt like the chord riff guitar from the intro was pushed too far back during the melody sections. I think the clean octave guitar is a little loud and shrill.

On the breakdown section, I wasn't crazy about the flood of echo. That may be a style thing you were going for, so maybe it's a matter of personal taste.

In contrast, I thought the screamy guitar was too dry. And to be picky, I heard some intonation problems on a few bends.

And the ending seems like a not-ending - just like the tune stopped.

I'm listening on desktop speakers, so I won't comment on the bass balance, and let it be known that I'm not a POD fan.
Thank you. This is what I am looking for.
Riff too soft. Lead guitar too loud: noted. Perhaps your Desktop speakers are making the guitar sound shrill (any other opinions out there?)

I was going for the echo thing...
I could add a little reverb to the lead guitar. I'll try that.
There are definately intonation "problems" on the lead, but I left the "mistakes" because I like the feel of the solo. I'm not afraid to show some warts... They grow on you :)

It was sort of a "crash into a wall" ending. But I like it.

Thanks again. Anyone else?

Mark
Jim

Post by Jim »

I agree with Billster on all counts except one: I like the sound of the POD.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA