Setting up my Lucid GenX 192 to the 896HD and Digimax96K

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
alfreds113
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Setting up my Lucid GenX 192 to the 896HD and Digimax96K

Post by alfreds113 »

I just bought a Lucid GenX 192 and hooked it up to my 896HD. I also have the Presonus Digimax 96k hooked up to the 896 HD via lightpipe. Do i need to hook my Digimax with lucid for clock sync or does the lightpipe automatically sync it via the lightpipe to my 896 HD?
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

The Genex is a master clock, therefore everything needs to slave to it. Run a high quality BNC cable out to the 896HD and one out to the Digimax96
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Jidis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jidis »

Hi,

The lightpipe carries a clock, but only in the direction the audio is headed. For instance, if you had the Digimax feeding the 896HD before, with no WC line, I guess you had the Digimax clock riding in with the lightpipe audio, and had the 896HD slaved to ADAT? With the 896HD now slaved to the Lucid, the Digimax is outputting audio along with it's own clock (freely sync'd to itself and nothing else =no good). You'll probably need another BNC WC cable going back to the Digimax from the Lucid, and put the Digimax in whatever mode it needs for external wordclock sync.

Take Care

George

BTW- Most people recommend the separate BNC lines if they're available, even though the ADAT/ SPDIF,etc. carry a clock too. I'm not sure if the difference is significant with good cabling and hardware, but you've got a nice master clock now, you might as well get the most out of it. :wink:
alfreds113
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Gentleman thankyou

Post by alfreds113 »

Thankyou very much gentleman. I thought that is what I needed to do but wasn't sure if I should spend the money for the extra cable. No one at the store knew if i did or didn't. Talk about product knowledge.

One more question with Lucid I can sample up to 192Khz but the Digimax only can sample up to 96khz, does that mean that even though I use the Lucid I can't go higher than 96khz through the Digimax?

If yes, then would it work if I setup Output A to 192khz to the 896Hd and Output B to 96khz to the Digimax which than feeds the audio via lightpipe to the 896hd
Jidis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jidis »

Hey again alfreds113,

No, the lowest "max clock rate" of any one of them will determine what you can run at. Bit depth is the one where some devices can truncate and dither to add or ignore extra bits (why you can usually feed 16bit streams to 24 bit hardware). With the clock, they'll all need to support the one rate. I'm afraid your actual max sample rate may be dictated by the ADAT line ("regular" 8-channel ADAT streams are usually 44.1/48k, but I don't know your gear too well -guessing it isn't doing any weird "muxed" multi-lightpipe crap). The higher rates of the Lucid will leave you options for later upgrades or different configs.

Hope that made sense. :wink:

George

PS- Just googled the Digimax. Looks like the 96k works only on the AES & S/PDIF lines.