Motu 828 and Macpro firewire IMPORTANT INFO.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
British33
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu 828 and Macpro firewire IMPORTANT INFO.

Post by British33 »

Here it is, to get your new 828 firewire to work flawlessly, you have to aquire a PCI-Express firewire card for the Macpro tower. SIIG makes a few models, the one I went with only has 2 ports, but they are dedicated and self powered. So far I have had no problems with the 828 cutting out for no reason and I can import from my camera at the same time as well has having my fw800 external drive operational to place media directly onto said drive. FCP now works flawlessly with the 828 in this fashion. This all goes back to Apple not allocating seperate busses for the provided 4 firewire ports. I believe they have one buss for the 2 fw800 ports and one buss for the 2 fw400 ports. This is typical of previous design. The SIIG card can be purchased from buy.com with free shipping (takes only 2-3 days even though it states 7-9 business days) for about $65.00 for the 2 port version.

Alex
Macpro 3ghz quad core/9gig ram 15TB disk storage en tot 828mkii / black magic Decklink HD Extreme / Mackie HR-824 monitors
British33
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Never mind

Post by British33 »

DOH, my own post is wrong, tested, even with it's own card, still the same issue, motu crapping out after 15-30mins of operation! DAMNIT!
Macpro 3ghz quad core/9gig ram 15TB disk storage en tot 828mkii / black magic Decklink HD Extreme / Mackie HR-824 monitors