"CUEMIX STATE NOT IN SYNC..." flashing message

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
digeorge
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by digeorge »

I had the same problem as soon as I installed the latest drivers. I use it my PC with SP2 - complete nightmare. Before it worked as a champ. It's one of the first 828mkII that came out.
Long story short - started losing sync and I end up calling MOTU for a new one.
To cure the issue you need to remove the currrent driver, but first:
Open Task Manager and kill the process MFWAKeys.exe. then remove from Control Panel. Reboot and make sure you have driver from May (sorry can't remember the version exactly - not in my studio right now). Install it and reboot.
Neither the RME fix for SP2 nor the MS patch worked for me.

Thank God I decided to dedicate a G5 for music production a couple of years ago.

Good luck!
onlycito

ok trying to stop the Mfa keys process...

Post by onlycito »

will try it my friend! thanks for helping.

Anything goes at this point for me.

Will keep you posted.
AMD athlon 64 x2 DualCore 4800+ - 2.40ghz - 2gig ram - cubase SX3.1 - motu 828MKII -
onlycito

it worked fine for last night...

Post by onlycito »

but this morning it juts went crashing on me...

first: it statrted giving me little clicks...
second: it froze my cpu
third: it juts cancelled my whole session today!

this 828mkII is more and more beginning to sound like CRAP.

you guys here have been great, so thank you for that.

but i'm thinking of forsaking this hardware for another.

it seems no one at MOTU can helm me with this.

Will keep you posted guys.
AMD athlon 64 x2 DualCore 4800+ - 2.40ghz - 2gig ram - cubase SX3.1 - motu 828MKII -
blksqrl187
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by blksqrl187 »

man this sucks. I've been dealing with my "broken" MOTU 828MKII fw for a couple months now. I of course have the same problems. Audio (wave,video,etc) plays back broken (2 seconds on, 2 seconds high pitched squeal) and there doesnt seem to be anything that I can do.

I'm going to try the fix above, but i just dont know anymore about this interface. It once worked perfectly but now i can barely get it to work 1nce in every blue moon. We'll see what happens...

-sqrl
blksqrl187

Post by blksqrl187 »

digeorge:

do you mean the MOTU drivers from May or firewire drivers?
If so, is there a place to find older motu 828 drivers, older than the current october ones? not certain...

-sqrl
blksqrl187

Post by blksqrl187 »

onlycito: have you tried switching cables/firewire cards? My other comp doesnt have firewire so i havent been able to try the motu on another machine, but i was thinking maybe my FW chipset isn't good enough (anymore.) or maybe my cable was banged up. Any ideas?

We NEED a solution. this thing is a paperweight in my rack right now...

-sqrl
onlycito

okay so far so good!

Post by onlycito »

hi guys, like promised here i am with lonesome story...
THE CUEMIX message stating that " cuemix state not in sync beaucse audio stream is not locked..."

well the good news is that its WORKING NOW!

What i did is disabled the FWAkeys process in my task manager, then uninstalled the whole MOTU folder going through CONTROL panel.
Then i updated WINDOWS XP ( and i mean all the hotfixes + the sideline software updates), then downloaded the latest driver from MotU website (3.6.7.3) and installed it.

Disabled my secondary sound card (incorporated in my motherboard) and then reseted my 828MKII to factory defaults, then turned it off, pluged it right back in with firewire cable, then double clicked the CUEMIX icon, then open CUBASE sx...and VOILA! it worked perfectly. anmd still does to this day. 6 days and counting.

The only unusual thing i'm doing so far, I have not turned off the computer since nor the MOTU 828MKII.

another thing you guys should check should be the sync setup in TRANSPORT menu for CUBASE sx.

Will report back if anything happens.

Thanks to evryone who tried to help.

cito.
digeorge

Post by digeorge »

Sorry it took forever to reply...

onlycito, glad that you made it work!

There should be Firewire drivers from May on MOTU's site. I can't remember the exact date. If you're not able to locate the drivers PM me and I will email them to you.
You should't be dealing with broken 828 for over two months - that's too long! I finally called MOTU and explained that my device would not sync, I have the ADAT lcd permanently on even if nothing is plugged in, and my condenser mics no longer work - the 48V fantom power went kaput. After the usual advice to reset to factory settings and toggle the 110/240V switch they ended up replacing the 828 for a new or a refurb (nor sure). I haven't tried to sync it since then nor to run it under Windows - I am too busy with a project that's way behind the schedule. The new device works much better than the old one - I've had the old one for a long time and I can tell.

One thing I noticed is that when the device boots there's no click/pop anymore if the monitors are turned on first. The old one used to click/pop everytime regardless of the type of computer it was connected to.

Later when I have time I will follow onlycito's instructions to reinstall the drivers under windows. We'll post then.

Bottom line is that I am looking for a better audio interface. I am looking for a equal cross platform stability and less driver issues. The RME Fireface is on the top of the list so far.
onlycito

i suggest Apogee rosetta...

Post by onlycito »

Motu works fine is you are in the luicky bunch of people who get it to work from the GET GO.

but issues with driver versions and Xp shouldn't halt creativity!

Glad mine is working now...but what a headache!!!!

good luck guys.
blksqrl187

Post by blksqrl187 »

strangest thing, onlycito...

I went through the exact same thing and lately, my 828MKII has been working again. I did everything you did including shutting off the MFWAkeys process and it seems to work consistently now.

I'm just afraid to see when it quits out on me... last time I'm going MOTU... It had better keep working... <fingers crossed>

keep me posted.

-sqrl
pheewee

I have the same problem. Any help?

Post by pheewee »

828mkii worked fine for me until I installed the new drive (v3.6.7.3) that I got from MOTU website. The precious version that worked on my was v3.6.7.0. Now I uninstalled the new driver and reinstalled the older one, but the problem still there. I have to say that MOTU didn't do a good job with writing the driver for Windows, especially SP2.

I don't know if the firewire PCI card is the problem, but it was working flawlessly before so I can't say it's the problem. I use Piro 1394 PCI 64.

Anyone had the same problem and solved it before? Please help us, those whom suffered from MOTU punishment for using their product.
blksqrl187

Post by blksqrl187 »

yeah, i have had the same exact thing happen. somedays it works for a while, then i'll have to restart my laptop and it will get jumpy/high pitched and I'll die a little bit more inside ;)

I'm having severe thoughts of ebaying this thing but i just love the sound of it so much (when it works.) My personal conclusion is that something in the new drivers is broken and stays broken even when you roll them back. Something has got to give with these drivers issues. I'm just so friggin frustrated with this firewire issue.

-sqrl
blksqrl187

Post by blksqrl187 »

dunno
pheewee

Post by pheewee »

I have tried what onycito suggested. Still not working for me. Worse, Windows now does not see the 828. I cannot choose MOTU as the audio device in the control panel. It just doesn't show at all. I'm gonna try to do it one more time and see if it change any. If not, I might try to find a SP1 and get that a go. :cry: