Traveler Dead?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
hamburg58
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Traveler Dead?

Post by hamburg58 »

I have a mac book pro, use a traveler, DP5 etc. The traveler has been working fine, i unplug it about every day to go to class, because i use it for my pc sound output too. unplugged this weekend, came back and nothing is going on. It will not recognize the firewire. I've tried different wires, different ports, it doesn't see it at all. Even tried installing the new firmware and it wouldn't..HELP!!
Sheva

Post by Sheva »

Is your Traveler going on, but would not recognise, or wont it go on with the firewire bus?

1.) you have a power adapter. You can use it for powering the Traveler. Use it!
2.) switch on the side of the Traveler "Firewire bus power" to "off"
3.) Connect the Traveler with your MBP
4.) Good luck :D
hamburg58

Post by hamburg58 »

the traveler will turn on with firewire and with the AC adapter but the computer will not recognize it.
Sheva

Post by Sheva »

Ah, then you are one of the lucky people, like me, and many others, who have this problem.

I only ask me, why it worked...
At my MBP, it never run... okay, it appeared, but I was not able to work with it.

I hope the motu technicans will bring on a patch out for this issue.
harryb

Post by harryb »

I hope you didn't plug reverse your FW cable? This create big problem. One of my student plugged a LaCie HD via FireWire, the wrong way, and my 896HD was link with the hard disk via FW, so it burn down the FireWire port of the 896HD. I didn't know it until I tried to link it with my Compu and never get to doing it.
gtsoundcrew

Post by gtsoundcrew »

harryb wrote:I hope you didn't plug reverse your FW cable? This create big problem. One of my student plugged a LaCie HD via FireWire, the wrong way, and my 896HD was link with the hard disk via FW, so it burn down the FireWire port of the 896HD. I didn't know it until I tried to link it with my Compu and never get to doing it.
HUH? Reverse Firewire? :? Firewire cables are the same on both ends. Never heard of this before. Even if you hooked up your fire drive before or after your interface it makes no differance... although most would recomend hooking up your drive first in the chain, computer, drive, interface if you only have one available firewire port on your comp.

Is just DP not seeing your 896, what about your system? System preffs audio?
Good luck guys!!! :)
DP 4.6
G5 dual 2.5
Tascam FW-1884 / PreSonus DigiMaxx
Reason
AudioFinder(AMAZING APP.)
TOO MUCH JUNK TO LIST!!!
eyeknow
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by eyeknow »

Pretty sure he means in "reverse"......I almost did that just yesterday. I was surprised to find that if I was the forcing type, I believe it would have gone in upside down!

btw, that is the mac side, not the traveler I believe
Sheva

Post by Sheva »

Well, I have a Traveler, and a MBP. I take firewire cable 6/6, plug one end into the MBP, and the other into the traveler. I have shut down "powering through firewire bus" and use the power adapter.

Then I power on my MBP, load it out, the I activate my Traveler.

Then the Audio Setup appears.
The, I try to work with the traveler.

The signal comes only every 5 or 6 seconds. So, I cant work with it.
I can set up the surface, yes, but I can't record. Even AudioDesk or DP 5.1 said, that the core audio was not able to load under "Traveler"
It is somehow crazy.

Under the same MBP, but started under Windows from Boot Camp, it works. So, the the hardware of the Mac is OK.

Now the question: When the drivers are currupted, is it a failure of MotU, or from Apple?

And what can we do, after we found it out?
alobonzo

Post by alobonzo »

Try to trash the motu preferences.
If it still doesn't work, uninstall the fw drivers and install them again.
Good luck
PB G4+Presonus Firestudio+DP
iMac Core2Duo + Cubase4+Toneport UX2
Apple Certified Trainer - Final Cut Pro 6
Sheva

Post by Sheva »

I've done that several times.

I've formated my hard disc, then installed the OS new, updated, and then, I onlxy used the newest drivers from motu.

Same problem ;)

Don't think we did'nt try it. I've several calls with the technicans behind me, without any conclusion.
hamburg58

Post by hamburg58 »

You know, i think it is very possible that i accidentally stuck the firewire cable in reverse into the MOTU, it's very easy to do, especially if your traveler is in a rack and you're just reaching behind and plugging it in. I remember taking it out and putting it back in. Well how fixable is this? should i send it to MOTU or what?
korgws
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by korgws »

Hello all, i have the same problem, it is possible to fix firewire port of traveler?
magicd

Post by magicd »

If the Traveler gets power from the Firewire bus of the computer, you haven't fried the Firewire port on the Traveler. If you stick the Firewire cable in upside down, you will definitely fry the Firewire port on the Traveler.

If the MOTU Audio Setup recognizes the Traveler, the driver is installed and working. If that connection drops out in and out, the most likely cause is a bad Firewire cable, or possibly multiple Firewire devices under XP SP2, or possibly multipole Firewire devices under any OS but with lots of long cables.

Disconnect all other Firewire devices. Try a different cable. Try the other Firewire port on the Traveler. If the Traveler is still going on and off line at that point, contact MOTU tech support for a possible return and repair.

Magic Dave
cloudy house

Post by cloudy house »

I have a similar problem w/ my traveler...did all the above-different FW cable, power supply/no power supply, re-installed drivers/firmware, updated to latest OSX...for me the comp sees the traveler, but won't open DP or GB files as long as the traveler is on. Can't even use itunes as long as the traveler is on...turn the traveler off and files open great(minus audio capabilities)...so then I plug in my old 828...perfect. Of course my traveler's been modded by Black Lion so I'm sending it back to them for repair.

<><
mark
facebook.com/cloudyhousemusic
alobonzo

Post by alobonzo »

Hi I've just received the Traveler.
It works fine with my old Powerbook G4, no FW issues.
The firmware is 1.07.
Is it the one u are using?
PB G4+Presonus Firestudio+DP
iMac Core2Duo + Cubase4+Toneport UX2
Apple Certified Trainer - Final Cut Pro 6