DP 5.1 and PT HD 3 Accell

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
forjam
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 5.1 and PT HD 3 Accell

Post by forjam »

I just installed DP5.1 and am trying to use DAE as the engine. I do film scoring and use multi output instances of virtual intruments. In PT using Battery2 or Kontakt2 with multi outs is a snap. My RTAS plugs as well as all of the TDMs come up in DP using DAE mode with no problem. I can't seem to get multi output instances going however. I started using DP years ago and produced many records with it. I since used Logic Pro and did records and films as well. I love Pro Tools for the work flow mixing audio, but DP does the MIDI front end very well. I swithched back from Logic due to no internal bussing. I would appreciate any input anyone may have. Thanks.
modular

Post by modular »

So far DP doesn't allow for multiple outputs of RTAS plugin instruments under DAE. I would love it if I could use Stylus RMX and split out the sounds but, so far, no go. Hopefully an update will come soon.
forjam

Maybe someday

Post by forjam »

I thought that it was too good to be true. Logic won't even let me run RTAS plugs under DAE. I was exited when I booted DP under DAE. I will have to settle for using the 192 PT interface as a native device in DP until I've tracked what I need then I can mix in PT. Have you had any luck using a PT HD interface with DP?
modular

Post by modular »

I've had mixed success using my 192 interface under MAS. First of all, Coreaudio only allows 8 channels of I/O with the Digidesign hardware. Secondly, switching from DAE to MAS and back was problematic. The Digi hardware wouldn't be released to MAS and most of the time the app simply crashed. I would have to switch to MIDI only operation, quit DP, reboot DP and then switch to the audio system I wanted to use. Finally, after consulting with tech support, I got a MOTU Traveller interface for the rare times I want to swim on the MAS side of things. The transition from the two universes is now seamless.
pcm

Post by pcm »

I do the same. I have two HD rigs, and both of them have Motu Travelers, for both MAS work, as well as iTunes, Jam, etc. Totally seamless.

As an aside, I used to have motu PCI-based systems. I used the motu 308 to address two Lexicon reverbs, as well as an Eventide Harmonizer, all digitally. I now used the Motu Traveler to do the same, when needed. I used the AES/EBU to feed the first Lexicon, SP/DIF for the second, and ADAT 1-2 to feed the Eventide. That's three pais of digital i/o, in addition to the usual analog i/o. Not bad for a little box.
forjam

MAS and DAE

Post by forjam »

I still have an 828 that I have connected for everything that I can't access when using PT. I had to put away the 2408 and a 1224 when I installed the PT rig on the G5. My question is this, with Logic I can use the 192 as a core audio device. The whole system will work as it does with Logic and my MOTU interfaces. Will DP allow me to use the 192 as a core audio device? I would still be in MAS mode but using the 192 as my interface instead of the 828. I agree with you on switching back and forth between MAS and DAE. It is problematic. If I produce a song in DP with MAS, I'll export the audio to be mixed in PT 7.2. I could also install the PT rig on my old dual 1 gig G4 and stream the audio via light pipe. I really want an integrated rig that won't cripple my creativity.
ForJam Productions http://forjam.com
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

Hey John,
You can use your 192 with core audio and MAS, but I haven't used it much in that mode so I can't tell you how stable it is. I've been pushing MOTU to address some of the DAE issues, mainly the the RTAS feaures that PT allows for but DP doesn't. MOTU told me that they are now aware of these issues and hopefully we will see the features added without having to wait for a blue moon. Hope all is well with you.
pcm

Post by pcm »

You can use the 192 under MAS, but it will only see the first 8 channels of i/0. The other 8 channels of digital i/o won't appear. That's a deal breaker for me!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

pcm wrote:You can use the 192 under MAS, but it will only see the first 8 channels of i/0. The other 8 channels of digital i/o won't appear. That's a deal breaker for me!
It's stuff like this that feels quite overdue for a fix.

I know, I know...

patience.
:roll:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52