2 simple DP questions

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SeikoT123
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2 simple DP questions

Post by SeikoT123 »

I have a 15-inch Powerbook (G4, 1.5 Ghz) w/ no studio software installed yet. I also have a Lacie 200 Gig firewire hard drive.

I am ordering from MOTU my DP upgrade to v4.52. I am also ordering my upgrade to Reason 3.0. (The previous versions of both are installed in my old B&W G3.)

Question #1: When the software arrives, should I just install everything in the internal hard drive? How can/should I be leveraging the external lacie drive? Any special configuring before installation necessary?

Question #2: If I plan to use DP to record only Reason (and other soft synth) instruments (i.e., no external synths and/or mics), do I need an audio interface? I am thinking that all I need will be a small MIDI interface and a keyboard, correct? If this is the case, can anyone recommend a good MIDI interface as well as a small, portable keyboard that I can take with me on trips? (Budget is not a problem, but I hope to have something small, portable and convenient.)

Sorry for the basic nature of these questions, and thanks in advance for any advice you can spare.

<small>[ March 18, 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: SeikoT123 ]</small>
billf

Re: 2 simple DP questions

Post by billf »

Originally posted by SeikoT123:
Question #2: If I plan to use DP to record only Reason (and other soft synth) instruments (i.e., no external synths and/or mics), do I need an audio interface? I am thinking that all I need will be a small MIDI interface and a keyboard, correct? If this is the case, can anyone recommend a good MIDI interface as well as a small, portable keyboard that I can take with me on trips? (Budget is not a problem, but I hope to have something small, portable and convenient.)
It will work for what it sounds like you need.

You are essentially describing an environment similar to what many of the GarageBander's are using with some amazing results. I think the site www.icompositions.com has a section on MIDI interfaces and portable keyboards.

<small>[ March 18, 2005, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: TimeMist ]</small>
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cody

Post by cody »

For question #1 - you really have to install the DP software on the internal drive. (to my knowledge.) You might want to run your audio off the external. Some of the soft synths may have large .dat files, etc or other sample files. I might try putting these on the external drive. For question #2 Oxygen 8s are great and cheap! If you need more keys I think they make models with built in MIDI too.. Good luck!
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
SeikoT123

Post by SeikoT123 »

TimeMist, drpepper,
Thank you for your advice! Yesterday I went to the music store and bought an M-Audio O2. Now I just have to wait for DP 4.5 to arrive in the mail!