828 MkII Humming!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
buenavista
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828 MkII Humming!

Post by buenavista »

For anyone that still uses these I just wanted to mention that I finally ditched my 828mkii. I got a traveler original version and love it. Zero noise! And little or no heat. There are some feature differences but they sound identical to me. You can pick one up for a song and a dance ebay. I also tried a firewire ultralite mkiii which was fine but I didnt really need the dsp and I thought the traveler sounded just as good. Also the dsp cuemix interface is a bit much. They all take the same driver set so swapping them is a breeze--on windows it is anyways.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 MkII Humming!

Post by mikehalloran »

Mine is as good as the day I bought it. I only use it when the session involves tracking, however, so it has very few hours compared to most.

I expect to replace it in the next year after I get an iMac without FireWire. Thunderbolt requires external monitors to be at the end of the chain as does the FW to TB adapter. I neeed two external monitors so that just isn’t an option for me unless I continue to use a DisplayLink box over USB in Mojave to enable another monitor. I’m planning to move beyond that and am looking at 4K and 5K monitors. The current iMac supports a pair of 4K while the iMac Pro supports a pair of 5K.

Time to upgrade from my 828mkII.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro