828mk2 cutout problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wolfer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mk2 cutout problems

Post by wolfer »

Hello

I received my brandnew 828mk2 v1.01 yesterday, installed all the drivers according to the manual. But now when I try to listen to something it cuts out every few seconds. Which makes the interface unusable.
When I open up cuemix there's a "CUEMIX STATE IS NOT IN SYNC BECAUSE THE AUDIO STREAM IS NOT LOCKED" flashing everytime the sound cuts out.

I've tried just about everything to get this thing working. Even emailed motu about it, but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Any toughts? could it be that the internal clock is broken, it's brand new, but everything is possible in the world of electronics..?

I'm running an AMD XP1800+, 256+128mb 333MHz DDR, TI-firewire card, 40gb+120gb 7200rpm maxtor harddrives.

Thanks
wolfer

Post by wolfer »

OK now this is getting scary, I booted up my computer and the motu worked flawlessly. BUT, when I rebooted the computer back came the good 'ol "cuemix state not in sync....".

what the heck is going on?! still waiting for motu's support to answer me, but I'm not counting on it, since it's taken so long =\
JulesB

A similar problem....

Post by JulesB »

Hi. I've been using my 828mk2 since November and it's been working flawlessly. But 4 days ago I started getting "Error while trying to Synchronise Audio and MIDI". This is in Logic. Your error message sounds similar, I'm not sure what software you are using. I have rebooted everything, updated everything, tried different cables, and even a different computer, but the message comes up every time. There is no audio coming out other than a quiet, very high frequency screech. I have emailed MOTU, but not heard back yet.
I had a vaguely similar problem with my 828mk1- it worked fine until it just gave up. Out of warrnty though, that one. I'm hoping for more with this one...

Both our problems seem to revolve around clocking issues.
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

wolfer wrote:still waiting for motu's support to answer me, but I'm not counting on it, since it's taken so long =\
Not to encourage bugging somebody who really isn't responsible for it, but I can't help but wonder if the Black Lion people are familiar enough with this stuff to have an idea of what may have failed. Seems like they probably know the units inside out. It'd be great if they could bundle a small repair into a mod upgrade package. (nothing worse than paying, just to get something back that you already had 8) )

George
JulesB

Post by JulesB »

Excuse me for being thick but.... who are the Black Lion people you mention?
LHK
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by LHK »

JulesB wrote:Excuse me for being thick but.... who are the Black Lion people you mention?
LOL :lol:
JulesB

Post by JulesB »

Not very helpful, Mr LHK.
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Oh sorry :lol: ,

They (he???) perform circuit enhancements on MOTU units and some others. I'm just figuring they probably know the internals pretty well anyway, and people seem to have so much trouble getting much other than repairs or RMA's out of MOTU on these issues.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html

(Had to open Internet Explorer to see that, BTW. Didn't seem to like Opera 8.5)

Take Care
Atardecer

Post by Atardecer »

hey julesB,

I had this particular problem for a long time. The thing worked OK for about 7 months then just started cutting out randomly. It could happen within half an hour or within 2 minutes. I also got the same message about cuemix not syncing. It was very weird! Eventually i had to send the unit back for replacement. Unfortunately, MOTU did not tell me what the exact problem was but i did have it taken to a local repairer beforehand and he said that it was probably due to a dodgy PSU or capacitor gone haywire. Long story short - you'll probably have to get a replacement I'm afraid. Do you know if your unit is hardware version 1.00 or 1.01? Mine was 1.00 and the new replacement is 1.01. They actually look different phsyically - the new ones have a more shiny finish! I think this may be a problem associated with the 1.00 version.

regards
wolfer

Post by wolfer »

thát black-lion link was intresting to read. And I found one thing that really caught my eye, the thing that macintoshes were having less sync-problems.

I got to test out my 828 on a friends iBook G4 yesterday, and it worked flawlessly.. Guess I gotta change my pc to a mac =P
JulesB

Post by JulesB »

yeah, the Black Lion thing is very interesting. The thing is, is it worth investing that much money to improve the 828, if it may fail at some point in the future. The mods sound very well worth while, but if it goes tits-up at a later date, it's just more money down the drain. And then there's shipping to the States...
For ref, my unit is on 1.01. Doesn't sound like psu- dodgy clock maybe.
The thing is, it's not cuemix that has the problem, I'm getting it in Logic. Similar error though. I tried Audiodesk, and that seems to work fine (although working out how to use it was, er, less than fun.)
It's a puzzle.
wmorris

Post by wmorris »

This may sound stupid, but try in the motu audio setup menu try turning your optical in/out on and off several times.

And if your not using optical in/out turn them off.
JulesB

Post by JulesB »

Interesting suggestion. I'll try it. Kick the clock into behaving!

Ta. I'll let you know.....

Jules
onlycito

CUEMIX STATE NOT IN SYNC...

Post by onlycito »

Dam i just got this problem...anyone find a fix?

This is terrible.

Dualcore 64 AMD cpu, 2gig ram, 828mkII,Windows XP SP2
AMD athlon 64 x2 DualCore 4800+ - 2.40ghz - 2gig ram - cubase SX3.1 - motu 828MKII -
blksqrl187
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by blksqrl187 »

Same problem now. For about three weeks actually, I've been looking for a fix for ages. It started happening only after I reformatted and reinstalled XP (after realizing how bloated it had been for a while...) and after reinstalling some of my software, it began to happen. It started with Ableton Live... pops, clicks, high pitched whines. I noticed it happened with all audio after that point, Winamp, Cubase, etc. I reinstalled the drivers and did a Return-to-Default on the unit with the firewire cord out.

The only thing I have noticed is that the unit returns to normal and works fine only after I reinstall Windows, which leads me to a pretty strong belief that the 828 MKII itself is fine and that it is either an XP software issue (SP2?) or a firewire problem. The FW i have is my laptop's built-in 4-pin port that had and I believe has worked for ages up until now.

Upon reinstalling XP, I find the unit works for a while as I slowly reinstall all my apps and then, even if I didn't install anything, I'll reboot the laptop and it all goes haywire. This has to be software cuz it works fine for a while when its fresh. I have concluded that something software has to be getting in the middle and causing this sync issue.

Aftre just reading the above posts, I looked up my CueMix while playing an mp3 (which was glitching/etc) and every single time the audio dropped or glitched, that same CUEMIX STATE NOT IN SYNC error would show up, so I know im having the same problem as you guys.

Most of the posts like this seem to end in obscurity, no answers anywhere it seems. Do you guys think this is a hardware or software issue? It seems like it has to be software since the unit "works" for a while after a fresh XP installation. Please help me out if you can, I have a Live gig in two weeks and cannot get this damned 828 to play nice.

Sincerely,

Sqrl
Dell i9300 * MOTU 828MKii FW * Technics 1200M3D x2 * Vestax07

PS If you need any more info about my setup/system, let me know. Thanks.