Sound Library

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

gsoto
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sound Library

Post by gsoto »

Hello it is probably old news but new to this site. I am looking for a good (realistic) Orchestral Library for Mach 5. Various Strings,Brass,Woodwinds,Percussion,Choir samples suitable for film; Mach 5 says it converts different formats but i never tried it any suggestions on the best formats for this process. I hear Giga is among the best format? Love to hear what ya'll have to say. U can contact me hear or email me directly.

Gabriel Soto
mixingengineer@sbcglobal.net
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Gabriel,

What's the maximum you want to spend?

-j
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

gsoto:

jloeb asks a VERY important question (thanks, jloeb!).

If you want a "realistic" sound, there is much more to an orchestraal a sample library than good samples.

1. The quantity of samples available are also important. Having one staccato sample, for example, will give you a "machine gun" effect on fast passages. The sample itself may be a very good one, but how one uses it can govern how "realistic" the musical results are. A legato violin sample may have nice vibrato, but without a variety of legato samples to creatively swap in and out of your violin parts, there will be a sameness-- a predictable quality that leads to ear fatigue, and ultimately a less realistic result.

2. The key mapping and controller capabilities of volume, expression, cross-fading, etc, also add to the realism. Not all sample libraries offer the same diversity and flexibility in this regard.

The point is, the more realism you want, the more $$ it will cost.

Another thing to consider is that the better orchestra libraries come with their own interfaces and are not designed to be imported into a universal sampler. Add to that the fact that Mach5 is not 100% successful at thoroughly importing all of the delicate key mapping, layer mapping, cross-fading controls, etc., and you find yourself in a rather precarious position.

Consider that MOTU has released MSI as a standalone rompler in addition to Mach5. I find it odd that they did this when they might have just released the MSI library *for* Mach5 itself. There are reasons for this: the orchestral library itself has special needs that are addressed more easily in a dedicated interface rather than a universal sampler.

When you speak of Giga being "the best format", this implies that you will be using a Giga system on which to play those samples. With that goes all the Giga bells and whistles for which the samples were designed. The format and all its features *may not* translate into MAS format so neatly. I would generally count on a rare 90% at best for complicated libraries to translate well into something like Mach5. Some people have had less success with importing Giga, Roland, or Akai formats into Mach5. Some of these third-party sample libraries recommend not using them in universal samplers because of special features that will not translate very well if at all.

How a library will import into Mach5 is difficult to predict. Check these links out:

Category 1: Collections requiring a hardware or software playback device. The caveat here is that you may have to build your dynamic layers (forte, mezzo-forte, and piano) cross fade them and then map them across 72 keys or more- for each and every instrument in the orchestra....
Price range about $200, 4-5 CD-ROMS

Akai Adanced Orchestra
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... S-94SET-AK

Giga Advanced Orchesrta
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... S-228_V1-5

(MP3 demos are found in the silver and black player on the right)

Category 2: Mid-priced sample collections with their own software playback interfaces--- cannot be loaded into M5

Miroslav Philharmonik-- $600 USD
http://www.philharmonik.com/Main.html?prod_MP
CLICK HERE for Miroslav Philharmonik AUDIO DEMO

Halion Symphonic Orchestra-- $750 USD
http://www.steinberg.net/667+M52087573ab0.html
CLICK HERE for HSO Audio Demos

Garritan Personal Orchestra $200 USD
http://www.garritan.com/GPO-features.html
CLICK HERE for GPO Audio Demo

Category 3: The most realistic high end orchestral collections--

East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra (platinum collection with platinum pro expander set)-- $3500 USD
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... tid=EW-155
CLICK HERE-- mp3 demos found in the silver and black player on the right

Vienna Symphonic Library Vienna Instruments-- complete collection: $11K+
http://www.ilio.com/vienna/instruments_index.html
CLICK HERE for VSL mp3 Demo

That last link is a download link. It will take a couple of minutes to complete, but trust me-- it's one of THE most remarkable accomplishments done with computer software I've ever heard. Well worth the wait.

So as you can see, realism comes at a premium AND a learning curve. There are just no guarantees that the most realistic libraries can successfully be achieved by a simple import into M5.

There are other options that are not sample-based from Advanced Acoustics and Synthology, but that may be a topic for another thread.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
gsoto

Thank you

Post by gsoto »

thank you very much for your insight! very much appreciated!
gsoto

[quote="Frodo"]gsoto:

jloeb asks a VERY important question (thanks, jloeb!).

If you want a "realistic" sound, there is much more to an orchestraal a sample library than good samples.

1. The quantity of samples available are also important. Having one staccato sample, for example, will give you a "machine gun" effect on fast passages. The sample itself may be a very good one, but how one uses it can govern how "realistic" the musical results are. A legato violin sample may have nice vibrato, but without a variety of legato samples to creatively swap in and out of your violin parts, there will be a sameness-- a predictable quality that leads to ear fatigue, and ultimately a less realistic result.

2. The key mapping and controller capabilities of volume, expression, cross-fading, etc, also add to the realism. Not all sample libraries offer the same diversity and flexibility in this regard.

The point is, the more realism you want, the more $$ it will cost.

Another thing to consider is that the better orchestra libraries come with their own interfaces and are not designed to be imported into a universal sampler. Add to that the fact that Mach5 is not 100% successful at thoroughly importing all of the delicate key mapping, layer mapping, cross-fading controls, etc., and you find yourself in a rather precarious position.

Consider that MOTU has released MSI as a standalone rompler in addition to Mach5. I find it odd that they did this when they might have just released the MSI library *for* Mach5 itself. There are reasons for this: the orchestral library itself has special needs that are addressed more easily in a dedicated interface rather than a universal sampler.

When you speak of Giga being "the best format", this implies that you will be using a Giga system on which to play those samples. With that goes all the Giga bells and whistles for which the samples were designed. The format and all its features *may not* translate into MAS format so neatly. I would generally count on a rare 90% at best for complicated libraries to translate well into something like Mach5. Some people have had less success with importing Giga, Roland, or Akai formats into Mach5. Some of these third-party sample libraries recommend not using them in universal samplers because of special features that will not translate very well if at all.

How a library will import into Mach5 is difficult to predict. Check these links out:

[b]Category 1:[/b] Collections requiring a hardware or software playback device. The caveat here is that you may have to build your dynamic layers (forte, mezzo-forte, and piano) cross fade them and then map them across 72 keys or more- for each and every instrument in the orchestra....
Price range about $200, 4-5 CD-ROMS

Akai Adanced Orchestra
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... S-94SET-AK

Giga Advanced Orchesrta
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... S-228_V1-5

(MP3 demos are found in the silver and black player on the right)

[b]Category 2:[/b] Mid-priced sample collections with their own software playback interfaces--- cannot be loaded into M5

Miroslav Philharmonik-- $600 USD
http://www.philharmonik.com/Main.html?prod_MP
[url=ftp://www.ikstore.com/pub/iksites/philh ... rt_run.mp3]CLICK HERE for Miroslav Philharmonik AUDIO DEMO[/url]

Halion Symphonic Orchestra-- $750 USD
http://www.steinberg.net/667+M52087573ab0.html
[url=http://www.steinberg.net/687_1.html]CLICK HERE for HSO Audio Demos[/url]

Garritan Personal Orchestra $200 USD
http://www.garritan.com/GPO-features.html
[url=http://www.garritan.com/mp3/GPOAdventure.mp3]CLICK HERE for GPO Audio Demo[/url]

[b]Category 3:[/b] The most realistic high end orchestral collections--

East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra (platinum collection with platinum pro expander set)-- $3500 USD
http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... tid=EW-155
[url=http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO-Plat ... PROB1.html]CLICK HERE-- mp3 demos found in the silver and black player on the right[/url]

Vienna Symphonic Library Vienna Instruments-- complete collection: $11K+
http://www.ilio.com/vienna/instruments_index.html
[url=http://www.vsl.co.at/admin/downloader.a ... rypton.mp3]CLICK HERE for VSL mp3 Demo[/url]

That last link is a download link. It will take a couple of minutes to complete, but trust me-- it's one of THE most remarkable accomplishments done with computer software I've ever heard. Well worth the wait.

So as you can see, realism comes at a premium AND a learning curve. There are just no guarantees that the most realistic libraries can successfully be achieved by a simple import into M5.

There are other options that are not sample-based from Advanced Acoustics and Synthology, but that may be a topic for another thread.[/quote]
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Great overview Frodo.

VSL truly is fantastic. I only own the VSL VI Solo Strings ($900) but they are worth every single penny of that. Try them to believe them.

I would add one more to the list that is a little "outside the box" but has a highly inventive approach and loads of potential - especially since, as we speak, all of the instruments are being rerecorded and encoded with a new algorithm. - Check out:

http://www.synful.com

Goes for about $500. Check the demos. I call it the "poor man's VSL Cube" since it's the only one that approaches that uberlibrary in terms of real-time expressivity, if not in detailed sound. You'll need percussion/piano from somewhere else, though those are easy to come by.

As of this moment, i would agree that for orchestral libraries as a whole you should forget about something you can load into MachFive - too much work, not enough payback.

**BUT**

That is as of this moment. I would say that MachFive2.0 absolutely is going to be released within a couple months at most (DP5.1 was just released as Universal Binary, and the MOTU instruments were all released as Universal Binary and are "compatible with MachFive 2.0", hint, hint,).

At that point, the situation in terms of what you can load and import may change dramatically. I would say: if you can wait a few months, right now is not a great time to jump.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

jloeb wrote:....

At that point, the situation in terms of what you can load and import may change dramatically. I would say: if you can wait a few months, right now is not a great time to jump.
I totally agree. The one thing that propelled me forward to get M5 v1 and EWQLSC right away was that I was feeling really skiddish about dropping PPCs so quickly and easily. I'm looking forward to the new era of better CPU and VI performance, but it's not going to happen overnight. Many companies are offering UB versions for free (thank you, MOTU), but Apple and others are actually charging registered users a fee to upgrade. One can easily get nickled and dime to pieces trying to change over with too much uncertainty hanging in the balance.

I'm a little frustrated with the techno market constantly rearranging the furniture before I can afford to keep up. Sample-based VI's demand SO much of our systems these days, that something like the synful approach really creates quite a kettle of fish to consider-- if you've bought into VSL (and possibily any kind of computer network to run it all) you've spent some serious bean, but if you can get the results you want out of synful for a lot less money while using a fraction of your computer's resources on one machine-- well...

... at some point sense and sensibility cannot be omitted from the consumers' equation even if that approach is part of the marketing strategy of hardware and software maufacturers.

It's getting increasingly difficult to build upon one's systems and sound libraries when rising prices and ever-changing formats are always being thown at the consumer. It always feels like starting over from scratch, or at least two steps forward and one step back.

Add to that the tardiness of M5 v2 and the general lack of MAS support from third-parties, and we have some serious questions to ask ourselves: what is the shelf life of MAS if hardly anyone is supporting it? Is M5 truly "universal" if its import/conversion features are less than 99 and 44/100% reliable?

But, I remain cautiously optimistic about all of this-- even to the extent that there will be enough employment to warrant the steep investments yet to come.

It's really past time we were on a roll with this stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The Thorough Hobbit wrote: jloeb wrote:

I totally agree. The one thing that propelled me forward to get M5 v1 and EWQLSC right away was that I was feeling really skiddish about dropping PPCs so quickly and easily. I'm looking forward to the new era of better CPU and VI performance, but it's not going to happen overnight. Many companies are offering UB versions for free (thank you, MOTU), but Apple and others are actually charging registered users a fee to upgrade. One can easily get nickled and dime to pieces trying to change over with too much uncertainty hanging in the balance.

I'm a little frustrated with the techno market constantly rearranging the furniture before I can afford to keep up. Sample-based VI's demand SO much of our systems these days, that something like the synful approach really creates quite a kettle of fish to consider-- if you've bought into VSL (and possibily any kind of computer network to run it all) you've spent some serious bean, but if you can get the results you want out of synful for a lot less money while using a fraction of your computer's resources on one machine-- well...

... at some point sense and sensibility cannot be omitted from the consumers' equation even if that approach is part of the marketing strategy of hardware and software maufacturers.

It's getting increasingly difficult to build upon one's systems and sound libraries when rising prices and ever-changing formats are always being thown at the consumer. It always feels like starting over from scratch, or at least two steps forward and one step back.

Add to that the tardiness of M5 v2 and the general lack of MAS support from third-parties, and we have some serious questions to ask ourselves: what is the shelf life of MAS if hardly anyone is supporting it? Is M5 truly "universal" if its import/conversion features are less than 99 and 44/100% reliable?

But, I remain cautiously optimistic about all of this-- even to the extent that there will be enough employment to warrant the steep investments yet to come.

It's really past time we were on a roll with this stuff.
Always worth reading your posts, Frodo.

Having been ill and well below the poverty-line for a coupla decades, I wholeheartedly and sympathetically resonated with each golden droplet of nectar that was your masterpiece... aaah! :lol:
Sorry there's none left; I "had" to lick the plate...
The Actively Resonant Hobbit wrote:One can easily get nickled and dime to pieces trying to change over with too much uncertainty hanging in the balance.
I'm a little frustrated with the techno market constantly rearranging the furniture before I can afford to keep up.
It always feels like starting over from scratch, or at least two steps forward and one step back.
That's a pure-gold hit, man! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Ah, my primo primate friend!!

I'm just babbling on with musings that clog my brain during idle moments of waiting. For ages, I thought it was just me, but how refreshing it is to see I'm not entirely alone. I only pray that I'm not being overly obnoxious with my thoughts... you are very kind to endulge a lost hobbit in his quest for a stable music computer setup that doesn't fall apart every five minutes.

Salutations, MM. Your good cheer is a treasure.

Peace,
Frodo :wink:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The Personable Hobbit wrote:Ah, my primo primate friend!!
Flattered. :oops:
The Ba-Musing Hobbit wrote:I'm just babbling on with musings that clog my brain during idle moments of waiting.
I love it when you babble 'dem musings! :lol:
The Once Lost, but Now Found Hobbit wrote:For ages, I thought it was just me, but how refreshing it is to see I'm not entirely alone.
Me too! My only regret is, "why did I have to endure 17 NBD's before I found da Nation?" :roll:
The Abstemious Hobbit wrote:I only pray that I'm not being overly obnoxious with my thoughts...
Yeah, I reckon you've probably offended everyone! :lol:
Is this Hobbit-humour?
You set a very high standard, dear friend...
The Humble Hobbit wrote: you are very kind to endulge a lost hobbit in his quest for a stable music computer setup that doesn't fall apart every five minutes.
A Hobbit and a monkey on the same quest...
Let's shoot this one in... our studios, the quest being "for a stable music computer setup that doesn't fall apart every five minutes.":lol:
Trilogy, schmilogy; we should have enough material between us for a 10-parter, no? :lol:
The... Hobbit wrote:...Your good cheer is a treasure.
I'm certain no words can describe what this means to me.
Thank you, Frodo.
Peace,
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
qsource

Post by qsource »

Does anyone here use Kirk Hunter Studios Symphony Orchestra? the demos seems good. I guess currently most of these sample sets are only for Giga or Kontakt, but wondering anyway.

Thanks.

Q
--==<<>>==--
Ethno, Ivory, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Atmosphere,
Kontakt2, Absynth3, KLCDE
hosted in ProTools 7.1 on Mac OSX
http://muz4now.com/
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

qsource wrote:Does anyone here use Kirk Hunter Studios Symphony Orchestra? the demos seems good. I guess currently most of these sample sets are only for Giga or Kontakt, but wondering anyway.

Thanks.

Q
Wow. Hadn't even heard of this one. From the few demos I just heard and comparing the prices (of the Emerald Collection in the $300 USD range) I would think that the full versioin would be somewhere in the $600 range, although that price is TBD.

The samples sound nice, and the few demos I heard were REALLY very well conceived.

However, I did notice that much massaging had to be done with expression, which seemed to be limited to the volume control-- not very realistic in that respect. It's one thing to simply turn down a sound for a diminuendo, but what I missed was the natural sound of a real diminuendo-- changing colors as it got softer instead of the same sound being turned down-- quite a different effect, and not the most convincing way to mix for a natural, realistic orchestral sound.

But, the samples themselves, again, sound really nice-- I'd put it on par with Miroslav and Halion just as a gut instinct-- and again, the price seems to bear this out as well.

I do like the legato string sound-- quite "epic", but not sure how totally expressive it might be. But such layers of expression along with a greater diversity of any given single articulation are more typical of bigger libraries.

However, I would think that EWQLSO would do what the KH collection does and go further to better accommodate the users need a bit more effectively.

But I should also go back and listen to a greater variety of the demos by different composers/engineers to get a clearer picture of how different users are putting this collection to good use.

Good find, G.
Thanks!