Included Instruments?

Moderator: James Steele

dj.chacki.chen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Included Instruments?

Post by dj.chacki.chen »

i‘m highly interested in knowing all included instruments. Is there any official list?

:?: But the most important question for me is, if a ZURNA (Surna, Zurla) can be found in the library (as an instrument)??? :?:

thanks for all answers

chacki

www.highhat.com
www.chackichen.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hello! Calling everyone at the Nation!

Chacki needs a Zurna!
Chacki needs a Zurna! :lol:

Seriosly 'though, dj.chacki.chen, DP's included instruments aren't bread-and-butter-style sound sources.
Blips, monobasses, poly pads, fm clangers etc. are more the order of the day.
If it's MOTU-branded realism you need, it sounds to me like you can't go past MSI, Ethno and MachV (vII?)
They're sensibly priced, sound good and integrate well.
Check the MOTU site for info and demo mp3's:

http://www.motu.com/

Good luck, dj.chacki.chen. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
homebilly

Post by homebilly »

no, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

and there is a nice irish flute that i used as a fife yesterday.
el Ocho 2.8 running DP6 & RMX with M5II - 828mkII / el Quatro 2.66 running Vienna VI & Vienna Ensemble, RAX 2, M5II & L8 for VSL - 2408mkII / steiner MIDI EVI, Oberheim Xpander, M5II reading UVI .dats, Radium 61 controller
http://www.ronmeza.com

Paris mini studio : iMac 20" intel 2.66 core duo (spring 2009) DP 6.02 - Firebox running M5II & Independence Pro 2.1 connected to Mac Mini (spring 2009) - Firebox running L8, RAX 2, Independence 2.1, M M5II
Keystation 49e controller
dj.chacki.chen

Post by dj.chacki.chen »

ok, sorry, i should have said: thanks for every usable answer.

@monkey: i‘m working with dp everyday, for about six years. I already own MX4, MSI and MachFIVE (DP 5.01). Thank you for your suggestion, but i know the motu website.

@homebilly: i know u had a great time with your boyfriend at the holiday inn express last night.

i just hope anyone knows an answer to my question.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

dj.chacki.chen wrote:ok, sorry, i should have said: thanks for every usable answer. @monkey: i‘m working with dp everyday, for about six years. I already own MX4, MSI and MachFIVE (DP 5.01). Thank you for your suggestion, but i know the motu website.
Cool. Sorry for the assumptions; I usually start "at the bottom" and work my way up.
The "official" list is at the MOTU site, but as stated, I doubt you'll find a zurma in any of them.
Would RA be too pricey? I'd have thought there'd be a strong chance with that one, if anybody's doing them... :wink:
dj.chacki.chen wrote:@homebilly: i know u had a great time with your boyfriend at the holiday inn express last night.
Fwooaa... :lol:
Yo, that's borderline!
Gutsy... and funny. :wink:
Eeeaasy homebilly; easy boy...

dj.chacki.chen

Post by dj.chacki.chen »

hmm, looks like i have to work my way through the motu site again, to find that list. :)

why do you doubt? i think a zurna is more needed worldwide then a didgeridoo. if its possible to integrate an oboe in MSI, it should be practible to put a zurna into Ethno.

i didn‘t get the meaning of your last sentence (as you can see, my english is bad): What‘s RA? Do you mean a recorded musician? The price wouldn‘t be the problem, if the idea (and the artist) is good. The chance to get one here in Austria is very high, we have a lot of balcans, turks, greeks and arabic people. But i need to play around with ideas before i transfer the project out of my homestudio.

@homebilly: sorry, maybe i got you wrong.

best

chacki
homebilly

Post by homebilly »

dj.chacki.chen wrote:
@homebilly: i know u had a great time with your boyfriend at the holiday inn express last night.
that kind of •••• is un-necessary
el Ocho 2.8 running DP6 & RMX with M5II - 828mkII / el Quatro 2.66 running Vienna VI & Vienna Ensemble, RAX 2, M5II & L8 for VSL - 2408mkII / steiner MIDI EVI, Oberheim Xpander, M5II reading UVI .dats, Radium 61 controller
http://www.ronmeza.com

Paris mini studio : iMac 20" intel 2.66 core duo (spring 2009) DP 6.02 - Firebox running M5II & Independence Pro 2.1 connected to Mac Mini (spring 2009) - Firebox running L8, RAX 2, Independence 2.1, M M5II
Keystation 49e controller
dj.chacki.chen

Post by dj.chacki.chen »

i know and i already said that i‘m sorry.
in fact, even if i‘m and u r straight, i don‘t have any problem with gay people and i can‘t find any true reason why somebody could hate homosexual humans.

nevertheless telling me that you did whistle on an irish flute yesterday has nothing to do with my question and is also unnecessary ••••. even though i had my laugh on your reaction (maybe just because i missunderstood) and wanted to continue the upcoming joke.

so, ez now folks.

can anyone answer my question?

chacki
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

There must be more tactful ways to be funny, 'though, dude.
I was trying to be polite, but if you'd said that to me, well, I would've been "thrown" to say the least.
Joking of that nature goes down a lot better in Europe and with non-professionals than with Americans and professionals, let alone professional Americans! :lol:
I reckon homebilly let you off lightly, and you're probably lucky the "Vibe Police" haven't paid this thread a visit! :?

Anyway, we now know you meant well, and that's what matters! :D

"RA" is Quantum Leap RA - Maybe just what you want as a Kompakt instrument.
SOUND ON SOUND (October 2005) said:
"Quite simply, RA is the best collection of world or ethnic sampled instruments I've ever used. Ideal for anyone with an interest in these music styles, it ought to be of particular appeal to TV and film composers."

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-163

I'll be purchasing Ethno one day (money...), 'cause I "trust" MOTU.
I'd definitely keep looking for that list, dj.chacki.chen, 'cause if the zurna's there, you're laughing!
I mean, it probably sounds 3/4 as good as RA, for what, 1/4 the price?

:wink:
Last edited by monkey man on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I just saw this on this link...
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-163

MID EAST & TURKISH EMPIRE
Armenian Duduk, Bulgarian Duduk, Mid East Fiddle, Mid East String Section, Ney Flute, Oud, Qandahar Dumbek, Santoor, Turkish, Duduk, Yalli Tambur, Zourna

So RA's got it? Different spelling, I know... :?

If RA's got it, you'd think Ethno would if MOTU's "on the ball"...

Good luck, dj.chacki.chen! :wink:

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I was in a rush the other day, so I used ther zurna from my Yamaha Motif ES. The Motif ES actually has some very good ethnic instruments for a workstation. Not a huge number of them, but the ones they chose to include are greatly appreciated because they are ones that are overlooked by others (apparantly, even including Ethno Instrument, but I haven't had time yet to check for all the cross-referenced alternate names).
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Im sorry, mhschmieder, but when you asked about an instrument list I thought you meant the MOTU VI's in DP! That's why I suggested the MOTU site. Silly me. I was browsing the "new posts" area and didn't realise this was the Ethno spot!

It just may be that the quickest route to success here is if a fellow Unicorner could take some screen-grabs of the preset menus, opened one-at-a-time?
Could take quite a few, but methinks this is good lateral thinking, no? :wink:
mhschmieder wrote:I was in a rush the other day, so I used ther zurna from my Yamaha Motif ES. The Motif ES actually has some very good ethnic instruments for a workstation. Not a huge number of them, but the ones they chose to include are greatly appreciated because they are ones that are overlooked by others
I keep hearing positive things about the motif.
I'd like to get an ES rack one day, with maybe a piano and XG board for a massive powerhouse of multitimbrality, polyphony and quality! Well, that's the dream anyway... :wink:

Good luck, dude. Hopefully a Unicorner will be forthcoming with some jaypegs...

dj.chacki.chen

Post by dj.chacki.chen »

True mr. monkey man! I have to admit that i was blind.

Thanks for all the answers, i really appreciate it.
The RA and Motif ES are both very good suggestions. I like most of the sounds from Motif (1st Generation), thats a reason to buy the Motif ES.

Motu Sales sent me a part (Middle-Eastern/Asia Minor) of the Ethno instrument-list, yesterday. There is NO Zurna (Zourna) included. :cry:

bless

chacki
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

dj.chacki.chen wrote:The RA and Motif ES are both very good suggestions. I like most of the sounds from Motif (1st Generation), thats a reason to buy the Motif ES.
Yamaha make good hardware.
The user forums show happy campers.
It might not sound as good as RA (probably nowhere near it!), but it'll work every time you turn it on!:lol:
Gotta get me one one day! :D
dj.chacki.chen wrote:Motu Sales sent me a part (Middle-Eastern/Asia Minor) of the Ethno instrument-list, yesterday. There is NO Zurna (Zourna) included. :cry:
Sorry to hear that, dude.
Maybe MOTU will include it in an update; after all, it's early days in the Ethno story...:wink:
dj.chacki.chen wrote:True mr. monkey man! I have to admit that i was blind.
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself!
dj.chacki.chen wrote:Thanks for all the answers, i really appreciate it.
Man, I just LOVE helping people, (I love people!), so it was a real pleasure!
You did well with the English thing too man!
I'm always impressed by the way Europeans handle English.
I reckon you're all a little better-off for it, as using 2 or more languages regularly definitely seems to stimulate the mind.
I tend to use "big words" a little (!?), so I was half expecting you to ask, "Er... what's that in normal English?". :lol:
Happy music making...
Oh, and thanks for reminding me... bless! :wink:

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Reading the last two posts in succession is interesting.

We're taken from the professed love of people and a buoyant, encouraging atmosphere to the depths of human ignorance, in which we're enticed to watch others urinate.

Interesting, indeed. :shock: