MSI 1.1 and above crashes DP when launching DP.

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Clive Spencer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MSI 1.1 and above crashes DP when launching DP.

Post by Clive Spencer »

Please note any users with older Macs (those with an ATI Rage 128 graphics card), MSI v1.1 and above will not work, I have been informed by MOTU support. It was suggested that I needed to upgrade my graphics card to an NVidia GeForce2 MX graphics card or better or buy a more powerful machine, despite having upgraded the CPU to a Sonnet dual 1.3 GHz. I find this strange as the more complex Spectrasonics Stylus RMX 1.5 and Native Instruments Kontakt 2.0, and even MOTU's own new bundled instruments in DP5 all work okay. I can't understand why this should be, despite MSI now being at v1.1.2 I would have thought they should have fixed this problem by now. Poor programming perhaps or a policy to start squeezing out older Macs. If you have a more senior Mac beware of buying other MOTU instruments.
carrythebanner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by carrythebanner »

What sort of Mac was it before the CPU upgrade? The only ones I can think of that have that video card are early run G4s, probably under MSI's G4 500 MHz requirement, so it doesn't seem that odd that you mght encounter problems with a machine that "old" (in computer years, anyhow). Considering that production on Macs with that video card was stopped sometime in 2001, I'd say it's been stretched pretty far already.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
meeloo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by meeloo »

I heard than an update is in the work to fix the MacBook/MacMini problems very soon.