getting .midnam files out of unisyn

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

cpauljohnson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

getting .midnam files out of unisyn

Post by cpauljohnson »

I've got unisyn successfully talking to my proteus 2000 however, it doesn't seem to be updating the .midnam file or updating the patch list in digital performer. I have a Kurzwiel k2500, and it IS updating the patch list in DP5 and making a midnam file for that synth in my user library/preferences/Unisyn/MIDINameDocuments. Can anyone give me a hint as to why Unisyn is not doing the same for the proteus 2000?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I got some help on this a while back from Magic Dave at MOTU. It appears that some of the MIDIName documents and Device profiles were ported over from OS9 to OSX improperly, and may not have even been tested properly. He very kindly got my device profiles and MIDIName docs re-written, and that has helped a great deal, but I still haven't ironed out all the kinks in Unisyn. I use it with Yamaha equipment.

Magic Dave is definitely the man to talk to at MOTU, as some of their other techs were unable to help me. I contacted him through this forum, but his time seems to be very much in demand. I hope he can help you, too. Perhaps some Proteus users out there have some updated profiles they can send you.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cpauljohnson

Post by cpauljohnson »

interesting. were you only able to get an accurate midnam made or were you able to get the functionality up to where you can edit/make patches in unisyn and have those changes reflected in unisyn? It would be wonderful if Magic Dave would chime in :-)
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

cpauljohnson wrote:interesting. were you only able to get an accurate midnam made or were you able to get the functionality up to where you can edit/make patches in unisyn and have those changes reflected in unisyn? It would be wonderful if Magic Dave would chime in :-)
An accurate midnam that reflects patches within Digital Performer. Editing patches from within Unisyn is not the issue I believe we are discussing here.
cpauljohnson

Post by cpauljohnson »

Sorry, I meant to say "...edit/make patches in unisyn and have those changes reflected in DP..."

Do your patches made in unisyn show up in DP, or do you have to somehow manually edit your midnam file every time you make a new preset?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

cpauljohnson wrote:Sorry, I meant to say "...edit/make patches in unisyn and have those changes reflected in DP..."

Do your patches made in unisyn show up in DP, or do you have to somehow manually edit your midnam file every time you make a new preset?
The patches I made in Unisyn do show up in DP, but only with the kind help of the folks at MOTU.