clip gain function

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

clip gain function

Post by martian »

the new set sounbite gain is almost great.... so close to my fairlight it is tantalising....

just mixed a 30 min TV show with it - had an OMF from FCP along with QT DV file

would be better if it had a "trim" version - ie a key whereby you trimmed by an amount as opposed to now its set it to that amount

so if i entered 3 db it would make it 3 db louder

now I need to remember what the gain for the soundbite was set to before -

situation:

enter 3 on a bite- not loud enough - so have to enter 6

come back a few mins later and want to change it - still not quite loud enough - can't remember what I entered.. so have to start over again.. was it a 3 - oops thats quieter than before..

Then DP would really cut it in the post world....

( or at least allow the trim clip gain function to have a user adjustable increment 0.5 db are baby steps when it comes to mixing into compressor and limitor on a TV show with a deadline)

( yes this the same post as 5.1 feature upgrades but hoping that some one from MOTU will notice it here...)

and what's up with the no right click thing? ( it's been years now...._

imagine right clicking on the channel u working on and being able to choose the automation layer - way better than the little mouse trip to go and click on that pop up pull down thing way on the left....
homebilly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by homebilly »

isn't it just control shift up arrow/down arrow to move by .5 db?
audiovision style.
el Ocho 2.8 running DP6 & RMX with M5II - 828mkII / el Quatro 2.66 running Vienna VI & Vienna Ensemble, RAX 2, M5II & L8 for VSL - 2408mkII / steiner MIDI EVI, Oberheim Xpander, M5II reading UVI .dats, Radium 61 controller
http://www.ronmeza.com

Paris mini studio : iMac 20" intel 2.66 core duo (spring 2009) DP 6.02 - Firebox running M5II & Independence Pro 2.1 connected to Mac Mini (spring 2009) - Firebox running L8, RAX 2, Independence 2.1, M M5II
Keystation 49e controller
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: clip gain function

Post by martian »

martian wrote:
( or at least allow the trim clip gain function to have a user adjustable increment 0.5 db are baby steps when it comes to mixing into compressor and limitor on a TV show with a deadline)

Fairlight style allows user adjustable clip level trim function as well as set clip gain function.

What is interesting is that fairlight allows a sort of clip based automation. You may fade between 2 diff soundbites... if the 2 soundbites are the same except at different levels then you get fade up or down...

the same is true of eq's too

I worked on an audio vision for a while and it's quite nice - I liked it's reverse 1 frame jog function - and it's clip based eq was very nice.

clip based level - fades and eq are great in the post world!