Unisyn not seeing Microexpress usb / crashing

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

mcoffey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unisyn not seeing Microexpress usb / crashing

Post by mcoffey »

I'm trying to use unisyn 1.52 in Mac OS9.2.2 to load my WavestationA/D
I am using a usb MOTU Microexpress which works well in DP 3.11
when I open Unisyn it tells me that the"MIDI interface is not working"
When Igo to the " Interface Set Up " menu . It consistantly crashes, with little bomb and all, dispalying a System 10 eror

The weird thing is that it shows my current Free MIDI set up correctly in " Edit free MIDI configuration".

Am I right in assuming that system 10 error relates to out of date software.
Do I need to get version 2.0 to run on OS 9.2.2
Is the program too old to recognize a Usb interface?

I'm thinking of trying a free ware program - Sysex to load up my Wavestation , as I have a number of patch / performances that do not appear on the Wave station Profile . From reading the forum I'm assuming that even if I could get Unisyn to work that it will only deal with patches in the Wavestation profile - which do not cover all of the W.S / AD ppatches

Any helpfull insights would be appreciated

Thanks
Marsha Coffey
npatton

Post by npatton »

I'm not sure I have a solution to your problem, but I do know that Unisyn 1.5.2 worked fine with OS 9.2.2 and a MOTU MIDI Express XT (USB) on my system for quite a while. I could be wrong, but I don't think you'd need Unisyn 2 to make it work.

I hope that narrows it down a bit for you.
n
Mac Pro (Late 2013) (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM) OS 10.13.6
MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 gigs RAM); OSX10.11.6; DP 10.13; Unisyn 2.1.1; Stylus RMX; MOTU MIDI Express XT; MOTU 828x; Kurzweil PC3 with Kore 64; Roland XV-5050, D-50; Alesis QS7; Yamaha S90ES, TX-216; Hammond XK-3

----------------------------------
FWIW, my own music can be heard at...
http://www.neilpatton.net
http://http://www.pandora.com/neil-patton
Business Site: http://www.pattonmusic.com
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

npatton wrote:I'm not sure I have a solution to your problem, but I do know that Unisyn 1.5.2 worked fine with OS 9.2.2 and a MOTU MIDI Express XT (USB) on my system for quite a while. I could be wrong, but I don't think you'd need Unisyn 2 to make it work.

I hope that narrows it down a bit for you.
n
Thanks n ,
That narrows it down a bit -
Must be something wrong with my set up some where .

Looks like a day of hitting redial to get through to Motu
Thanks again
Marsha
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

I've just bought a new USB MIDIsport Interface and I'm experiencing the same problem. I have Unisyn 1.5.2 and OS 9.2.2. My first thought was that it had to do with Usinyn being unable to recognise the USB MIDIsport. It's a long time since I used Unisyn. So it's possible that it'll work with my serial interface (Translator Pro). I can't remember if I've used Unisyn since I upgraded to 9.2.2. But I'll check it out later. I'll be back. 8)
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

e-snobben wrote:I've just bought a new USB MIDIsport Interface and I'm experiencing the same problem. I have Unisyn 1.5.2 and OS 9.2.2. My first thought was that it had to do with Usinyn being unable to recognise the USB MIDIsport. It's a long time since I used Unisyn. So it's possible that it'll work with my serial interface (Translator Pro). I can't remember if I've used Unisyn since I upgraded to 9.2.2. But I'll check it out later. I'll be back. 8)

Thanks e- snobben .
I'm getting a friend over on Monday who is familiar with the set up . I'll let you know if we come up with anything . I spoke to MOTU Tech support and they seemed to feel it could still be used despite the crashing . The work around seems to be to open it from within D.P .

I'll let you know in a few days

Thanks
Marsha Coffey
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

Marsha, try deleting the Unisyn Prefs from the Preferences folder. As Unisyn starts it will create a new Prefs file. This seems to have solved the problem for me anyway. I've successfully got a Performance Bank dump from my Wavestation EX.

The Interface Setup crash may still be there if you try it. But if it works there's no need to do so. Just leave it alone, unless you're curious. :wink:
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

e-snobben wrote:Marsha, try deleting the Unisyn Prefs from the Preferences folder. As Unisyn starts it will create a new Prefs file. This seems to have solved the problem for me anyway. I've successfully got a Performance Bank dump from my Wavestation EX.

The Interface Setup crash may still be there if you try it. But if it works there's no need to do so. Just leave it alone, unless you're curious. :wink:

Hi e- snobben.
Thanks for the advice re Unisyn prefs . We had no luck with getting Unisyn to see my micro express . I'll give it a try .
We did however find a brilliant and easy work around for getting the Banks in and out of the Wave Station . We simply used Digital Performer . I had downloaded all the factory Banks as well as a number of banks from the Ben Hall collection in both sysex and MIDI format . The MIDI files are in QT MIDI format, and can be dragged and dropped into a MIDI track in DP and sent to the Wave station . We were able to send from the Wave Station to DP as well, by recording the transmission as MIDI data .

I downloaded a great article fromSound On Sound magazine which you might want to take a look at . - It's an excellent resource for Wave Station information and lists a number of helpfull sites for obtaining info and great collections of Sound Banks created by the original W.S programmers .

If you can't find them I can send you all the MIDI files I have for the factories and some of the Ben Hall collection .

I'm thinking that MIDI transmission is simplle and fool proof .

Here is the site - you might want to print off the article .

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/a ... ontips.asp

If you can't find those Banks I have them in Sysex and MIDI format and would be glad to send them along to you .

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Marsha Coffey

:lol:
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mcoffey wrote: Hi e- snobben.
Thanks for the advice re Unisyn prefs . We had no luck with getting Unisyn to see my micro express . I'll give it a try .
We did however find a brilliant and easy work around for getting the Banks in and out of the Wave Station . We simply used Digital Performer . I had downloaded all the factory Banks as well as a number of banks from the Ben Hall collection in both sysex and MIDI format . The MIDI files are in QT MIDI format, and can be dragged and dropped into a MIDI track in DP and sent to the Wave station . We were able to send from the Wave Station to DP as well, by recording the transmission as MIDI data .

I downloaded a great article fromSound On Sound magazine which you might want to take a look at . - It's an excellent resource for Wave Station information and lists a number of helpfull sites for obtaining info and great collections of Sound Banks created by the original W.S programmers .

If you can't find them I can send you all the MIDI files I have for the factories and some of the Ben Hall collection .

I'm thinking that MIDI transmission is simplle and fool proof .

Here is the site - you might want to print off the article .

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/a ... ontips.asp

If you can't find those Banks I have them in Sysex and MIDI format and would be glad to send them along to you .

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Marsha Coffey

:lol:
I really appreciate the links and info you provided. As a matter of fact, you gave back to me an entire soundbank that I thought would be lost forever. The RAM 1 Preload I accidentally deleted many years ago, before internet. And I had forgotten about it until now. I now have 4 banks of sounds instead of 3. :D

History:
As I searched for it long ago, I came across the WPC-00P-III Memory Card. The retailer claimed that this card contained the sounds I had lost. I wasn't convinced, but since some time had passed, I couldn't be shure. So I bought it and became fairly satisfied.

I've spent several hours enjoying the lost sounds. And I will spend much more time ahead enjoying them. :D :D :D

The link provided to the preload data has been changed:
http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm ... und%20Data

Many thanks, e-snobben.
mcoffey

Post by mcoffey »

Hi E-snobben ,
Glad All worked out . Thanks for the new download site address .
I'm going to try loading some of the Ben Hall Banks in the next few days , as I'm working on a film score with a very spacey feel .
Interesting that you live in Sweden . I've spent the last many years living in Denmark for half of every year . I've visited Sweden and love it - Have friends in Stockhom and of course in Malmo where so many København residents are moving these days.

Good luck with your Wave Station . I'm interested to hear that you were able to find a Data Card . I bought one few years ago ( Vector Atmospheres), but they seem hard to find now . I've heard that the Korg M1 memory cards work on the wave station. Is the card you spoke of an MI or W.S card ?

Cheers ,
Marsha Coffey
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mcoffey wrote:Hi E-snobben ,
Glad All worked out . Thanks for the new download site address .
I'm going to try loading some of the Ben Hall Banks in the next few days , as I'm working on a film score with a very spacey feel .
Interesting that you live in Sweden . I've spent the last many years living in Denmark for half of every year . I've visited Sweden and love it - Have friends in Stockhom and of course in Malmo where so many København residents are moving these days.

Good luck with your Wave Station . I'm interested to hear that you were able to find a Data Card . I bought one few years ago ( Vector Atmospheres), but they seem hard to find now . I've heard that the Korg M1 memory cards work on the wave station. Is the card you spoke of an MI or W.S card ?

Cheers ,
Marsha Coffey
I've got 5 Ben Hall Banks, 26 Libra Meta Banks, a Kid Nepro Bank (some kind of demo I think) and finally 2 banks called Paul's and Peg's. You should be able to find these on the internet. I might do a little searching myself.

I've also made a bank on my own. However it's not complete yet. It's a tricky job to get waveseqs, patches and performances to match one and other into the same bank. This is the recommended way to create sounds with the WS. By the way, as I think you've mentioned, Unisyn is not a very good tool to create WS sounds with. But the WS display is fairly large and convenient to work with.

The card is a WS card.

Well, the south of Sweden is often more pleasant during the winter. I like the snow we have here. But I'd like the summer to last a bit longer.