suggestions for this backup plan?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

zwolf
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

suggestions for this backup plan?

Post by zwolf »

Hi everyone,

Up until now, I have been playing with fire and not backing anything up with any regularity. This is now going to change, and I have two 250 GB Neptune firewire drives from OWC coming in the mail. I plan on reconfiguring the manner in which I have been storing things and was wondering if anyone had any feedback before I implement. Bear in mind that my uses are relatively simple and the most valuble data to me boils down to DP projects, iTunes libraries and iPhoto libraries.

In addition to the two drives coming, I have an OWC Mercury firewire drive that I've been using for recording and storing my DP projects to; I plan to use this for ONLY this now. On my internal HD I have my apps, and store my itunes and photo libraries. I had been backing up DP projects here, but I'd like to save that space, and use the internal mainly for the above mentioned.

So with one of the Neptunes, I'd like to backup (using SuperDuper) a bootable clone of my internal HD, and on another partition, backup my DP projects. On the other i will do virtually the same, but store it elsewhere in the event that my house burns down.

So the one question I really have - aside from if anyone sees any holes in this proposal, or a better way of doing it - is whether it is enough to have my itunes and iphotos libraries backed up as part of the bootable clone of my internal HD, or should those files be backed up seperately as well on another partition of one of the external drives. This would seem to be redundant to me, but I don't really know.

Anyway thanks for wading through this any for any feedback. I've been cheating fate, and I'll really breathe a sigh of relief when I get this set up!

Happy 4th!

Zwolf
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

Hey Z, happy 4th 2U2!

Sounds like a plan to me. The more baggage you remove from your main internal, the happier your computer will be. You may want to pick up a dedicated archiving app to facilitate the process. Sounds like a week of fun!

Redundancy and backup are terms that go hand-in-hand. How redundnat depends on how important you consider the files to be. For mp3's, archiving to DVD goes a very long way as well...
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

I just got through researching and implementing a disaster recovery plan here at work. I would suggest the following:

Monthly - bootable backups of the entire HD to external hard drive #1.
Weekly - file backups of all work in progress to CD/DVD.
Daily - file backups of work in progress to hard drive #2.
As Needed - Archive of all work completed to hard drive #3 & CD/DVD. Keep one media set on-site and the other in a safe deposit box.

The trick is to work the media charges into your project pricing to keep this from eating away at the profit margin.

HTH
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
zwolf
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zwolf »

Thanks very much for the replies thus far. I will definitely supplement valuable works in progress and archived projects with DVD backups. Anyone esle have suggestions/improvements for my plan?

Z
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dude- I don't know about anyone else, but I'm using your plan as a model!!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52