Needle Drop and Publishing question, "How to" ASCA

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Needle Drop and Publishing question, "How to" ASCA

Post by Timeline »

I would like to use a sound bite from an online VSL demo so I wrote to my friend there who passed me on to the performer.

I now have the name and publishing company but how do I add this in my ascap pub company to my song.

Never dealt with this sort of thing before.

Any help appreciated.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
hellcat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Contact ASCAP

Post by hellcat »

Hi,
The best thing here is to contact ASCAP.
Do you have a written agreement/contract letting you use the sample? If not, you'd better get it, or risk being sued.
Lots of artists think they can use samples, only to be dragged into court or have their entire printing of CD's be forcefully destroyed. Be warned.
But first make sure you have clearance/payment to the original sample owner, then talk to ASCAP about how to proceed. It all depends on how much of the sample you use, and what the original owner demands. If you use alot of it, and make this the basis of your song, then you most likely will have to give some/all of the publishing credits to the owner.
Good luck!