New Tune

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
lakland
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New Tune

Post by lakland »

Here is a tune called "Bombay Duck" that I just finished. It's bass and drums only and I've played all bass parts.

http://www.clearsignals.com/Tunes/

This is a rough mix

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks much !!!
G5 Dual 2G, 6 gigs RAM, DP 7.2, Mach V-2, OS-Leopard 10.5.8, Yamaha O1X control surface, EZ, Addictive Drms etc.
DigitalGod
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Kewl melody...

Post by DigitalGod »

I really liked the head to this song, reminded me of Herbie Hancock/Headhunters maybe, the 70's jazz/funk afro/cuban mellow groove.

There were a few parts were I did cringe, like counting backwards, 7 or eight bars in. The lower bass line plays a note that's note quite right. (I'm at a cafe listening on laptop, not sure what the note is)

Fix a few spots and it'd be great.

Is there 4 bass parts total?

It needs someone to trade off your solo, because personally, after the head I was interested for 24 bar solo then not so interested over the remaining bars before the head returns.

I did like the solo bass before head returns, 1 measure?

I'd like to hear more songs like this one or this one finished.

Cheers, Jimmy
Jim

Post by Jim »

Production and mix is good. I'm guessing the percussion is sampled, which I personally don't care much for, but the programming is suitable here.

Your bass playing is really good. I think I detected a few clams in there, but I'm the king of the clams, if you listen to my mixes, so I'll shut up about that now.

Having more than one bass at a time can be a challenge, and I think you did a good job with your EQ and panning. You have the slappy bass hitting the upper freqs, and the mellower bass holding the bottom. Nice!
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
lakland

Post by lakland »

Digital God...thank you for your feedback!

[quote]There were a few parts were I did cringe, like counting backwards, 7 or eight bars in

---Are you talking about the soli section? If so the "pulling back feeling" is intentional. It is a rhythmic structure you hear in indian music. For example, say the pulse is 4/4 but the tabla or mridangam player will play odd time signatures 5/4, 7's, 11's or halves, quarters etc. varying them over the 4/4 at the same time dropping beats inbetween. I've kept it simple confining it to just 4 measures. In a live concert this displacement would go on for 40 or 50 measures without any of the percussion players indicating the "one downbeat" anytime in between those measures. The phrase is not random syncopation but a calculated rhythmic figure.

[quote]Is there 4 bass parts total?

--- On the opening head there are 6 bass parts. On the outro - 7. The soli section has 3 lead bass parts playing together over 3rd's & 7th's & the regular bass groove
G5 Dual 2G, 6 gigs RAM, DP 7.2, Mach V-2, OS-Leopard 10.5.8, Yamaha O1X control surface, EZ, Addictive Drms etc.
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

This is a good showcase for what you do as a bass player.
Is that the idea of the piece?

db
lakland

Post by lakland »

Thank you dogboy.

I really didn't plan on it being a showcase piece...it turned out that way. I was in my studio..late night....threw on a drum loop and started stacking bass parts. One section lead to another and I then decided to keep the piece just bass & drums.

This piece has been well received. If I decide to release it, I will have live drums/percussions and also reduce the length by taking off a couple of slap solo chorus'.

Kindly,
Lakland
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Way to go, lakland!

Monkey's a bass player, and he likes!
He's had it in iTunes for 6 months, and hums the (excellent) melody on-demand.

Top job, man. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Billster

Post by Billster »

I really liked the harmonizations - I'm guessing from your track count, that those were performed as live overdubs, and not done with a harmonizer. Reminds me of mid-70's Stanley Clarke. Need a guitar player to collaborate? :wink:
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Jim wrote:I think I detected a few clams in there, but I'm the king of the clams, if you listen to my mixes, so I'll shut up about that now.
Jeesh, I thought it was intentional. I was diggin the tensions.
So, lakland, here's the deal. If they're clams, fix em. If they're not, I like your musical sense of humor. :lol:

Either way I enjoyed the piece...and if you're ever in SE Massachusetts, I'd love to lay down some tunes with you.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote:Either way I enjoyed the piece...and if you're ever in SE Massachusetts, I'd love to lay down some tunes with you.
Phil
Now there's an endorsement! :D

I agree with Billster, it reminded me of the Clarkester too, especially the "School Days" era.
High praise indeed.

Again, well done, lakland. :wink:

lakland

Post by lakland »

Monkey Man, Billster & Phil ...thank you for your kind words. I am humbled.

Monkey...glad to know you are enjoying the tune and humming the melody :-). Always great to get feedback from a fellow bass brother.

Billster: Yes, the bass stacked parts are all live overdubs. It would be fun to collaborate on some projects. As a guitar player you will enjoy this performance. I used to play with this guitar player called Raul Midon who is now based in NY. We played duo as well as trio with a drummer. Here is his performance on the David Letterman show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynk6W3qM ... ed&search=

Phil: I enjoy playing odd time signatures over an even pulse. Harmonic and rhythmic tensions are what make music so enjoyable. I am currently involved in a very interesting project. It's a band called Yerba Blue and the musical style is Bluegrass/Latin :-) We might have something out by summer. I'd love to check out some of your stuff.

Kindly,
Lakland[/quote]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

lakland wrote:Monkey Man, Billster & Phil ...thank you for your kind words. I am humbled.
Cool. 8)
lakland wrote:Monkey...glad to know you are enjoying the tune and humming the melody :-). Always great to get feedback from a fellow bass brother.
I imagine it's a pretty cool feelin', and one you know well!
Only a couple o' weeks (mehopes, air-freight-dependent), until I gets to join the frey wit' some muzikmekin'.
'Tis been longer than I'd like to admit, Lak, and downright unhealthy! :lol:

Thanks again for sharing, lakland.
MM

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

lakland wrote:Phil: I enjoy playing odd time signatures over an even pulse. Harmonic and rhythmic tensions are what make music so enjoyable. I am currently involved in a very interesting project. It's a band called Yerba Blue and the musical style is Bluegrass/Latin :-) We might have something out by summer. I'd love to check out some of your stuff.

Kindly,
Lakland
I play drums and 5 string banjo (no wisecracks from the peanut gallery), so odd time signatures and Bluegrass/Latin sounds good to me. I checked out Raul's Letterman performance - quite impressive.

I wish I had something to share with you, but unfortunately the only thing I have right now is a CD I made with this fellow who made the mistake of hiring a bad bass player. He wrote some great songs and he's an excellent musician himself, but man this bass player sucks. I had some great ideas for the drums and percussion, but this guy just couldn't handle it, so I had to stick to a basic groove and really focus on following his tempo variations. It was really tough playing with him, and quite frankly I'm a little embarrassed to have my name on the CD. Other than that all my playing has been live performance. Most of my time is spent recording OTHER musicians.

Good luck with all your endeavors man, and never put down your axe.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, Lakster

I just thought I'd follow up and thank you for the link to Raul Midon's appearance.
I left the YT window open for some hours, but eventually got there (slow connection).
Worth every minute.
I hope Raul's dreams come true, man, and yours too!

Also, I wanted you to know that when the thread was revived recently by dogBoy (thanks, db), the main melody popped straight into my head as I thought, "haven't I seen that title somewhere before?".
I couldn't have heard the piece since July or thereabouts.

Some would say I don't listen to enough music.
I'd simply say I reckon I've got good taste. :lol:
Still, that's a fine compliment in my book. :wink:

Dave Eskridge

Post by Dave Eskridge »

I'd like to comment regarding the time feel... David Garibaldi and Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power are masters of this type of groove (most musicians would agree). In that famous duo, Drums sit up on top of the beat - borderline rushing, really - and Bass lays back. I realize it's a drum loop, but feel-wise you've got the opposite effect going on. Overall your bass stays in time, but you're rushing the feel. Lay it back - it'll sound funkier