What to expect when DP go´s universal binary?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

notrono
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

What to expect when DP go´s universal binary?

Post by notrono »

Is it within reason to expect that IntelMac/DP will perform considerably better than G5/DP?

I am not a DP/mac owner yet, but hopefully will be very soon. Still I find my self in a waiting position. MOTU has announced that DP goes universal binary 2nd quarter 2006, and there seems to be a searten amount of exitement and anticipation in general around boards on the net etc.

Well what should I expect? The most obvious reason to wait fore me have to be 1) a system that performes better in every way than the best there is today. 2) a system that is latest (most recent) generation and therefore not likely to be outdated anytime soon.

Regarding reason 1) The most powerfull constellation today, is between DP and Powermac G5 2.5 or 2.7 GHz

From what I understand there are two IntelMac`s - Powerbook Pro and iMac ••“ who are the machines of choice when DP goes binary.

Now my question: Is it within reason to expect that IntelMac/DP will perform considerably better than G5/DP?

How about this test with Logic Pro 7.2 running on a PowerBook Pro?
http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firstlo ... /index.php

It concludes that it is faster than on a G4 and ••œ running Logic 7.2 on a MacBook Pro delivers a surprisingly similar experience to using the app on a Power Mac G5••
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What to expect when DP go´s universal binary?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wel, I would say it is sort of like the housing market. At some point, you have to jump in if you want to be in the running. As for DAWs, THE MUSIC should be the priority, not the technology, just as OWNING is the priority, not just living somewhere-anywhere. That's what rentals are for.

You don't mention what you are using now, if anything. If something, why do you want to change? If nothing, why haven't you made the jump?

It also depends on what you intend to use the system for. 80 tracks of digital audio? Yeah, the fastest machine possible. 2 tracks of MIDI, get a used G4.

FWIW, I am on a G5 Dual 2.0 and DP 5.01 is plenty fast for my professional demands. But 4.61 was also fast enough on a single 1.4 gHz G4. (Lots of RAM whatever you do.)

>Maybe I‘m all wrong and have misunderstood some important details, but definatly I expecteded a clear powerboost when this ••œbinary••
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS