Mac Book Pros

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

dhm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Book Pros

Post by dhm »

I wonder if anybody has a Mac Book Pro 17 or 15. I would like to know if its safe to purchase one? The problems people have had are amazing. Heat Noise Battery etc. I realise DP and other apps plug-ins are not UB yet but by the fall they will. When I got my 2.0 G5 the day they hit the streets, I had one. It's been amazing ever since? But Mac Books Hum it maybe the next gen before they sort it out. DH
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by baanes »

What I have heard is that apple has been fixing the problems in the newer batches. They're now up to rev. D I believe, and most of the problems have been sorted out.
kuene
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kuene »

well, i have a 13 in macbook 2ghz and its silent for the most part. for the money, this is a fantastic machine for its size/weight/resolution. so far, working out well with tracktion 2 and the ultralite.
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

it wasn't until my 5th MBP that I finally got one that worked (except for a strange Kernel Panic issue... grrr).

I ordered back in Feb and had different issues, whine, heat, dead USB bus, sleeping problems. this one finally seems good though. Allegedly new ones coming out at the end of the month so I would wait until then.

The Macbooks seem to have less problems but the on-board graphics may be an issue for some....

hth
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
Studio615

Post by Studio615 »

I absolutely love my macbookpro 15". Have not had a single problem. Live 5.2 runs like a champ.
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz (15"), 828mkII, rockit 8 monitors, and lots of coffee on those long late night sessions.
UprightJoe

Post by UprightJoe »

I have a rev A. MacBook and it has been stellar. I was unlucky enough to get one of the bad batteries but I stopped by the Apple store and they exchanged it free of charge.

I haven't had the whine many people compained about. It does get a tad bit warm but not unbearably so. I've had it on my lap more or less since 9am this morning. It seems to get hottest on the top right around the vent hidden in the screen hinge.

I would buy it again without hesitation.