Ethno Instrument

Moderator: James Steele

AndyMurdock
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ethno Instrument

Post by AndyMurdock »

Well, it's here.
I'm tring to install it. Um... Pressed Intall....it's been searching my hard drive for an hour. I think it's looking at the wrong hard drive. I have a feeling that this things not going to install. I know where the .dat files are, because I just manually copied them to my 'sounds' hard drive, as instructed. Yet, the installer wants to only look at my applications drive. Still searching...
I don't think I like this installer. It reminds me of a cat that I used to have, everytime I pointed at something, like his newly overflowing food dish, he would just stare at my fingertip.
Still searching...

Andy
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Andy, did you check out this info on page 109 of the manual -

"It doesn't matter where you put the Ethno.dat and Ethno.ufs files on your hard drive. The only thing that matters is that there are Mac OSX aliases or Windows shortcuts to them, with exactly the same names, in the same folder or directory as the Ethno Instrument plug-in itself. These locations are:
Mac:
<startup disk>Library/Applications Support/MOTU/Ethno
Win:
<startup disk>\Program Files\MOTU\Ethno\Plug-in "

Make double sure you have the aliases or shortcuts in there where the manual says to put them.

The manual also states that if you're on a Mac, you have to copy the .dat and .ufs files to a Mac OS Extended (also called HFS+) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive. For Windows, the .dat and .ufs files need to be copied to a NTFS formatted drive.
vinnieangeloni

Ethno inst - blank install CD???

Post by vinnieangeloni »

Well, at least it sounds like you guys might get yours installed. I copied the data from the DVD onto a second internal drive, then installed the Installer CD and it doesn't mount, but launches Toast, and appears to be a blank CD. Well, Toast is reporting it having 702.8MB of unused space. If I have Disk Util in the background, the CD reader icon shows up, but no disk title appears. Tried this with internal and external disk drives.

G5 Quad 10.4.6, 4 GB

Vince
AndyMurdock

Post by AndyMurdock »

The hang up "forever searching" is upon installation. No files are ever copied to my hard drive and No ethno folder is ever created. No place to put the alias.

Andy
Last edited by AndyMurdock on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMurdock

Post by AndyMurdock »

I also noticed this when I tried to update MSI... unsuccessfully. It's the installer software that is failing, imho.
Andy
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

hopefully it's just a bad disc! :-(
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
funkyfreddy

very frustrating, isn't it?!!?

Post by funkyfreddy »

I just got the MOTU ETHNO plugin in the mail today but am having a very frustrating time trying to install it as well. My computer, a G4 dual 800 running 10.3.9, has been unable to read the soundbank DVD that they instruct you to install first. My computer seems to read it for a minute or so then ejects it w/o displaying any disc image or error message.

It seemed to recognize the dvd when I tried inserting the ilock after restarting , but then gave me an error message 5 minutes into copying the DVD, now won't recognize it again. AARGH! Fred

EDIT: BRAD, I just sent your company, SWEETWATER, and MOTU tech support an e-mail about this..... hopefully this can get straightened out ASAP. Thanks, Fred
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sounds like the disk copiers in Lower Elbonia where MOTU outsources all their tech stuff forgot to push "copy" before ejecting the disks, printing the labels, and putting them in the box. Perhaps it's because they have a mudhen pecking the buttons with her beak, and she can't read English.

MOTU! Wake up! Outsourcing is costing you money! Plus, my installation disks for DP 4.5 a while back smelled like CURRY!

:D

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I was *thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis* close to buying EI today. Had it in my hands at the register when a little voice told me to hold off. This was more due to the fact that my computer's going in for a major checkup soon, so I really won't be able to do anything with it until July.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. It's just so far beneath the MOTU I know.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
hardingray

Post by hardingray »

Installation worked fine for me. I copied the two files to my desktop. I'm using an internal drive (the boot drive for DP) for the app.

System:
G5 dual core 2.3ghz
OSX 10.4.6
--
iMac i7 27", Quad 3.4, OS X Lion
DP7, MX4, ElectricKeys, MachFive 3, Ethno
MOTU 828, MTPAV (x 3)
Mackie 32*8+24E = 56*8
More MIDI gear than one man should have
--
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Well, disks that aren't recognized are almost sure to be corrupt, damaged or blank. Condolences to those who received bad disks -

Installation of Ethno has to be followed in an exact order, as far as I can tell. If you do anything out of order it screws up the install, and probably leaves some hidden files on your drive which you have to delete before starting over with a clean install.

It's a bit confusing, but here's the order for install:

Create a folder on your sounds drive with a name like "Ethno Sounds".
Insert the soundbank DVD in your drive, drag the .dat and .ufs file to that folder.
Eject the DVD.
Insert the installer CD, run the installer.
Eject the CD when the installation is done.
BEFORE you launch the app for the first time -
Locate the folder where the Ethno plug-in is. On the Mac, It should be:
<startup disk>/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Ethno
On Windows:
<startup disk>\Program Files\MOTU\Ethno\Plug-in
Place aliases or shortcuts for the .dat and .ufs files, WITH THE SAME EXACT NAME as those files, in the above named folders.
Insert your i-Lok key in a USB port.
Launch Ethno
Complete the registration/authorization process.

You can't change the order of any of these steps.

What's confusing is that the info on page 109 of the owner's manual, regarding the aliases/shortcuts, should be in the INSTALLATION chapter starting on page 11. That's where MOTU messed up - the aliases/shortcuts are critical to the succesful installation, in the same way that they are for BFD.
AndyMurdock

Post by AndyMurdock »

Create a folder on your sounds drive with a name like "Ethno Sounds".
Insert the soundbank DVD in your drive, drag the .dat and .ufs file to that folder.
Eject the DVD.
Insert the installer CD, run the installer.

***** This is where the process hangs. It get's to the 6th blue bullet point 'Installing', the window text says 'Items remaining to be installed 201' , the blue candy cane goes and goes, as it searches my hard drive. The system comes to a complete crawl and nothing else can be done without waiting minutes to even switch to a finder window.
This is the same exact problem I had when unsuccesfully tring to install an update for MSI. So I believe it is not a bad CD, but some thing on my system that the Installing software gets hooked on and won't let go. I believe the MSI updater also used the VISE X installer program. Thier tag line should read "Your day ruined by VISE X"

Eject the CD when the installation is done.
BEFORE you launch the app for the first time -
Locate the folder where the Ethno plug-in is. On the Mac, It should be:
<startup disk>/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Ethno
On Windows:
<startup disk>\Program Files\MOTU\Ethno\Plug-in
Place aliases or shortcuts for the .dat and .ufs files, WITH THE SAME EXACT NAME as those files, in the above named folders.
Insert your i-Lok key in a USB port.
Launch Ethno
Complete the registration/authorization process.
TechSupport

Ethno Instrument install

Post by TechSupport »

If anyone is experiencing trouble with the Ethno Instrument DVD, CD, or install process, please e-mail techsupport@motu.com with "ATTN: Josh - Ethno Instrument install" in the subject. If a disc needs to be replaced, we can get that happening right away.
TOD

Post by TOD »

Very simple and direct install as per the manual...3.65 gigs is a lot of data to transfer.

Loving Ethno so far!!!!!!
DP 5.13 dual G5 2.7 synced to dual 1.42 via SMPTE, Muse Receptor (filled with Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Atmosphere, Elektrik piano, Disco DSP), OSX.410, Ableton LIVE, Apogee Big Ben, Apogee mini DAC, MachV, Symphonic, Ethno, M-Tron, Mx-4,Latigo, Jupiter Vi, iDrum, Microtonic, Kontakt3, Bassline, Bassline Pro, Ultra Focus, Novation Basstation, Novation Drum Station, Nord Lead2, JD-990, EMU Proteus, Orbit 2, MicroKorg, UAD, Poco, Altiverb, VW2, Waves, Ozone, to name a few :)
AndyMurdock

Post by AndyMurdock »

TOD
I am so happy for you.